No 1 Water by-pass hose (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

fj80pb

SILVER Star
Threads
Fellow mudders,

I have decided to open this thread for this hose appears to be among the most neglected items of the cooling system. Due to its difficult access, looks like the job is in the same PITA category as the PHH (which, in my case, thanks to the by-pass is now manageable).

One confession: during the last cooling system overhaul I did not so long ago I needed to rushed it up and decided to let this No 1 water by-pass hose (PN 16261-66040) for a later day. I did everything else and all is running just fine. But I have to replace that one hose to complete the project, therefore, I'm planning to take the TB off, upper plenum?, etc..just to get to it.

Is there a better way? Is there any hints, do/don'ts, pics, etc...any idea to complete the job more efficiently?
The wisdom and experience of the community is highly appreciated and I hope this can benefit as many members as possible so this hose drops from the neglected/forgotten list.

Thanks!
Cheers!

IMG_3226.jpg

Have done it without removing anything, much swearing, but doable. Removing, well just taking the throttle body loose, makes it easier. Removing the upper plenum would make it much more work.

Besides de swearing-which I'm pretty good at it, btw. Do you access from the floor up removing the driver's tire (à-la-PHH) or just from the top down?
Cheers

Since you bought a Toyota hose, there is a white mark on the hose where the ears for the clamp should be.
Install the clamp on the bottom end of the hose before you start.
Remove the TB and install the hose on that end (top end) and thread it down through the plenum.

Bolt on the TB.

Turn the front tires hard to the right as if you are gaining access to the square head plug to drain the block.
Remove one or more of the rubber flaps inside the wheel well for clear access.

From under the front fender, reach in blindly and pull off the old hose. with the clamp still on it, or you can finger pinch the clamp up the hose, then pull it off.

Spit on you finger tip that you can reach the new hose, and smear the spit inside the end of the new hose that is already under the plenum from the first step. The clamp should already be on it and in the correct position.

Push the new hose over the nipple on the side of the block until you feel it is seated by no gap left between the end of the hose and the side of the block.

Once I figured out how to do the part with the clamp already on it and just pushing it on, I got it done in 5 minutes. I had already struggled with it for 25 minutes with different pliers and everything trying to see it and reach it. The key is do it by feel and do it with the clamp already on.

You’ll find some installation photos here. Plenum left in place. I had the valve cover off for other reasons.

You’ll find some installation photos here. Plenum left in place. I had the valve cover off for other reasons.

Thanks much mate! Great and very didactic post!
Cheers!

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. It greatly facilitated the job. In addition to what has been already noted, here's a few take-aways that, in my case, also helped:

-Removed the driver's tire to gain easier access to the the PHH area
-Removed the TB
-Used one of these pickup tools Amazon product ASIN B07D23M5R7 to extract and position back the TB's bolts (the lower left bolt accidentally dropped and it was a pain to look after it:censor:)

As previously stated by @BILT4ME, it's very important putting the clamps into the hose before installing it. For the hose end that goes into the block (near the PHH) I found very useful to position the ears of the clamp down as it facilitated using the curved long pliers to move it to position.
I'm really-really, glad I have replace this hose. It started to bulge (see pic). Out of curiosity I cut it up and...yes: this hose was prone to rupture.
I also replaced the other small hose. So finally, every single component of the cooling system is new, as Mr T wanted

To any other fellow mudder out there: replace this hose along with the PHH.
Again, thank you all for contributing. I own you one of these:beer:
Cheers!

Attachments

• BY PASS HOSE 1.pdf
    571.1 KB · Views: 178

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom