Next big expedition (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm going to work some videos this weekend; in the mean time, here are some photos for your viewing pleasure

000_0018[1].JPG

000_0049[1].JPG

000_0058[1].JPG

000_0078[1].JPG

add right rear shock exploded/disintegrated on Top of the World
add left rear shock lower stud mount sheared on Top of the World
add roller fairlead kamikazi'd into rock on HiTR leaving grey mesa

Don’t forget the self correcting rough idle, and overheating...

Last edited:
Jeff is just busting Mitch’s balls. It was @DriverRob who blew up his rear diff on Rose Garden. We had to winch him half way up, and tow him out to the highway.

It was also Mitch who saved the day on HITR, when he heroically appeared with a brand new driveshaft (nestled in bubble wrap) for Morgan’s 80.

If Captain Backplan did not have the d/s, we would have been SCREWED!
Morgan could never have driven out in front wheel drive, and it would be way too dangerous to tow him out.

Our only option would be to drive two trucks, one being an 80, back out to the highway. Pull the d/s from the 80, and shuttle it back to Morgan. This would be a full two days, plus a full day to get Morgan back to pavement.

Mitch was prepared, and saved us a lot of wasted time.

Thanks, Mitch! :cheers:

Last edited:
Jeff is just busting Mitch’s balls. It was @DriverRob who blew up his rear diff on Rose Garden. We had to winch him half way up, and tow him out to the highway.

It was also Mitch who saved the day on HITR, when he heroically appeared with a brand new driveshaft (nestled in bubble wrap) for Morgan’s 80.

If Captain Backplan did not have the d/s, we would have been SCREWED!
Morgan could never have driven out in front wheel drive, and it would be way too dangerous to tow him out.

Our only option would be to drive two trucks, one being an 80, back out to the highway. Pull the d/s from the 80, and shuttle it back to Morgan. This would be a full two days, plus a full day to get Morgan back to pavement.

Mitch was prepared, and saved us a lot of wasted time.

Thanks, Mitch! :cheers:

I concur. Go Mitch! Our trip would have been much different without that driveshaft.

Here are a few from Top of the World
This is a point which we thought was a bypass; turns out it was the "trail" and we skipped the bypass because it had some ledges on it, too!
000_0086.JPG

These are indicative of the milder (12" to 18") ledges all along the road.
000_0088.JPG

These are the typical 20" + ledges
000_0089.JPG

We took turns making glamour shots on the overlook.
000_0091.JPG

How about a video?!!

This is from Green River down toward Hanksville, where we got on the pavement for 20+/- miles to drive into town and refuel/restock.
Video starts at the campsite on the morning of Day 2, some miles south of Green River (the town).

A neat feature about this segment was the spur road Morgan @mryanangel took us out to an overlook of the Green River roughly across from https://www.trailsoffroad.com/trails/1235-spring-canyon-point-ut, https://www.trailsoffroad.com/trails/599-spring-canyon-bottom, and
Hey Joe Canyon.

Question for those who went. What size tires were on the vehicles and did you want larger or feel you needed more lift?
Lockers or traction devise front and/or rear?

Thanks,
Rob

I had the largest at 37" on my 80, we had 315's, 285's and @SAS might have been running 31's on his 60. I would say lockers are required, but @SAS proved that to be inaccurate...driver skill and a willingness to incur damage can negate the need for lockers. The key is to not have a top heavy rig as the knarliest parts of the trail are off camber into the abyss. I had the most top heavy rig with a heavy RTT, rack and awning up top...about 300lbs on the roof. Next time I will camp in the truck and not have anything on the roof.

I would say the perfect 80 setup would be 35 or 37's, tripple locked and nothing on the roof

Question for those who went. What size tires were on the vehicles and did you want larger or feel you needed more lift?
Lockers or traction devise front and/or rear?

Thanks,
Rob

Tire sizes ranged from, I think, 32” on @SAS 60, up to 37” on @mryanangel and his diesel swapped 80.

I’m on 35’s with a 2.5” lift and never felt a need for larger tires, or more lift. It would have been helpful, but not necessary.

My lockers are currently inop and Tracy’s 60 is unlocked, we were the open/open brothers for the trip. Everyone else had at least one locker

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom