Newest Member

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone. I just signed up for the forum a few minutes ago. I do not have a land cruiser yet but my mom had a 97 when I was younger for a few years and absolutely loved it. I am doing as much research as I can before I purchase one. I am leaning towards a 80 series preferably a 95-97. I would really like the truck to be a DD with some mild off roading and camping trips. I do have 8 years of experience off roading but that was with a built Jeep Wrangler. I have also been looking at 04 Land Rover Discoveries. I like the off road capabilities of the Discovery however, they are not as reliable as I would like. I think the Land Cruiser has a lot more room inside to which will be nice for the kids and camping gear.

I had front and rear lockers on my Wrangler and it made a world of difference on the trails. I know some of the Land Cruisers came with factory lockers. How well do the factory lockers work compared to an ARB? Can they handle a larger tire? I don't know if I would even need a larger tire but I am still curious.

Welcome.
When shopping don't get in a hurry & hold out for the lockers. These 80s are good up to 35s with out much moding. A 2.5" lift and wheel like you stole it!!!

I'm sorry. You said 95 up. Those will have Elockers. Stick with the FZJ. 93 up. It has the Z motor. A 94 has the bigger tranny & is a great inbetween model. Google is to ask all these quetions.

Last edited:
I'm sorry. You said 95 up. Those will have the Elockers. Stick with the FZJ. 93 up. It has the Z motor. A 94 has the bigger tranny & is a great inbetween model. Google is to ask all these quetions.

I actually had wrote 95-97. From what I read I thought those were the best years for an 80 series. I could be wrong. Usually am :cheers:

I'll be the first to say read this: http://www.sleeoffroad.com/newbie/newbie100.htm

Welcome!

Thank you!

I agree.
94 to 97 are the best years.
LXs just have the pretty plastic trim.
Mine has Toyota stamped all over: doors, glass, rims etc...

Im out.
Happy New Year....

sbrodacz, post: 9518318, member: 104737"]Are you able to edit a post?

Just yours...
Sometimes it would be good to delete others but that could cause many more endless problems... one day you have a 10 page build thread & the next day you don't just because someone didn't like it.

I'm sorry. You said 95 up. Those will have Elockers. Stick with the FZJ. 93 up. It has the Z motor. A 94 has the bigger tranny & is a great inbetween model. Google is to ask all these quetions.
Not all. And actually few in the big picture (US market)

Personally, I like my FJ80. I know everyone screams the virtues of the FZJ. I like the underpowered tractor motor. :) I've put 233,000 miles on it and have learned a lot about working on it in the process.

But yes, the 94-97 years are more desirable. Many people swear up and down about lockers and to hold out for one. I'm of the mindset that you hold out for a good, clean, rust free 80. Add lockers if you feel you need them. If you are doing "light wheeling" which is what I do, you will probably never "need" them.

Personally, I like my FJ80. I know everyone screams the virtues of the FZJ. I like the underpowered tractor motor. :) I've put 233,000 miles on it and have learned a lot about working on it in the process.

But yes, the 94-97 years are more desirable. Many people swear up and down about lockers and to hold out for one. I'm of the mindset that you hold out for a good, clean, rust free 80. Add lockers if you feel you need them. If you are doing "light wheeling" which is what I do, you will probably never "need" them.

I agree. It would be nice to find one with lockers but I am more concerned with the overall condition of whichever one I get. Lockers can always be added. It would just save some time and money if I could find the right one with lockers.

Some notes:

Searching for a low mileage vehicle might be good beginning.

I have a '93 unlocked and although I'm not supposed to go places where locked vehicle go I guess I must be lucky...every time.

I'm not totally sure how important 3x will be without a lift. It's good to have but you will find a lift is going to be necessary.

You may discuss your Jeep as much as you like on this forum as long as each sentence finishes with...it was inadequate.

Zona

Some notes:

Searching for a low mileage vehicle might be good beginning.

I have a '93 unlocked and although I'm not supposed to go places where locked vehicle go I guess I must be lucky...every time.

I'm not totally sure how important 3x will be without a lift. It's good to have but you will find a lift is going to be necessary.

You may discuss your Jeep as much as you like on this forum as long as each sentence finishes with...it was inadequate.

Zona

What is considered low mileage on these trucks? I figured a lift would be needed with larger tires. Once I get one, I'll see how it does stock and go from there. I'm guess 35's and lockers will be perfect. Is there threads on this forum that discuss what is needed (suspension wise) for different tire diameters?

I do not think I can say the Wrangler was inadequate. It was built pretty well and extremely capable on the trails. The only thing inadequate would be the overall ride on the road, noisy and bumpy. The lack of space was a huge pain too. In order to fit anything in it the backseat would have to come out. It will be nice to be able to have room inside plus a decent trunk, especially having a family now.

Low miles is relative but I've seen some guys pick up 80s with 130-150k on them. I would consider that low miles. Don't see too many lower than that.

All kinds of threads on here. Basically, if you have a problem or question there is someone on here that has probably had it or thought of it. Use the search and bounce around. I spend a lot of time reading and researching as I'm planning out a rear bumper and expo roof rack build. I've never welded before but thought it would be fun to learn how and see how it goes. I've learned a lot from seeing others' builds.

Search, get ideas, share. That's how this thing kind of works. There are some incredibly smart and helpful individuals on here. And good dudes (a few ladies too). Have fun and good luck!

What is considered low mileage on these trucks? I figured a lift would be needed with larger tires. Once I get one, I'll see how it does stock and go from there. I'm guess 35's and lockers will be perfect. Is there threads on this forum that discuss what is needed (suspension wise) for different tire diameters?

I do not think I can say the Wrangler was inadequate. It was built pretty well and extremely capable on the trails. The only thing inadequate would be the overall ride on the road, noisy and bumpy. The lack of space was a huge pain too. In order to fit anything in it the backseat would have to come out. It will be nice to be able to have room inside plus a decent trunk, especially having a family now.

I'm only joshin with you but the wrangler Sounds like you were driving a two seater dirt bike.

I run a 2.5" OME heavy suspension with 33" skinnies. I have mine set up mostly as an expedition vehicle so I can bring the kids, camping gear, pack n play, stroller, etc. I may get an Aussie locker for the rear.

Zona

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom