Newest member of the blown headgasket club (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OB-1

SILVER Star
Threads
Well, I guess it was inevitable. With my wife having been laid off a few weeks ago, I was starting to consider selling the 80 to get something more economical. The truck must have found out and decided it wouldn't go without a fight.

Driving home from work it started running rough and I noticed the temp gauge moving ever so slightly. I decided to run the heater and after awhile it stopped blowing hot.
I got to the gym and popped the hood to find the radiator overflow tank full and boiling/bubbling. The radiator was surprisingly not hot to the touch and I opened it to find there wasn't much in there.
I also found the dreaded milkshake under the oil cap.
I thought I could make it home a few miles down the road if I just refilled the radiator and took it nice and slow.

Nope. Check engine light came on and for a brief second white smoke from the tailpipe. I pulled in to a gas station and turned it off quickly. Popped the hood and found the radiator still full and nothing in the overflow.
Just got towed home.

Very sorry to hear that. I miss my 80... Let me know if you want to get rid of it still, with a blown head Gasket...

Thanks Ryan.

I'm trying to figure out my options at this point. Don't really have the time to fix it myself since I've been working as much overtime as I can pick up. Plus I'm only a 1/2:banana: mechanic so I'm lacking the skills to do it anyway.

I'm thinking I could have someone do just the headgasket and then sell it so I can pick up an economical DD or try to sell it as is. I guess another option would be to see if I can buy a cheap DD and keep the cruiser until I have the time/money to fix. Don't ask me which one the wife thinks I should do :rolleyes:.

I'm open to suggestions at this point.

Buy a $500 honda and keep the 80

Sorry to hear about the job situation

Last edited:
If you choose to sell it, I am very interested. And I ncan fix the head! Let me know what you decide, and good luck!!

Buy a $500 honda and keep the 80

Sorry to hear about the job situation

Thanks Al.

I was thinking more like a $500 Toyota. Of course, with the way things are going, I'll buy a cheap car and it will break down and then I'll have 2 vehicles parked in my driveway that I can't drive :hillbilly:.

I might be interested also. If ya got a price in mind send it my way in a PM, after Ryan ofcourse. He has first dibs on a cruiser.

Jorge, don't sell it, you have plenty of members willing to help you get this thing back on the road. Since I am having my engine rebuilt I can mail you back the headgasket DVD. Use the ONSC members as a outlet and lets get you back on the road.

There is a 94 on Raleigh's CL for 2850.... with lockers

Jorge, don't sell it, you have plenty of members willing to help you get this thing back on the road. Since I am having my engine rebuilt I can mail you back the headgasket DVD. Use the ONSC members as a outlet and lets get you back on the road.

I know, I know. I really need to figure things out. I just don't have the time to do it as I'm working 50-60 hrs a week.

I think I'm going to get some qoutes for the work so I can better assess my options.

Gotta link??

Damn, that's a good deal. Ryan, jump up on that!

Jorge, if you have the space, I'd say keep the cruiser and pick up a cheap DD. Anything that gets good fuel mileage works. Then you can save up some extra $ and rebuild your 1FZ with help of club members.

Jorge just keep it and buy a $500 prism. Then u can fix it when things look up

Jorge, if you have the space, I'd say keep the cruiser and pick up a cheap DD. Anything that gets good fuel mileage works. Then you can save up some extra $ and rebuild your 1FZ with help of club members.

Jorge just keep it and buy a $500 prism. Then u can fix it when things look up

I'm looking. If I can find something that allows me to keep the cruiser until I can fix it, I will. Of course, the :princess: may not be to keen on it. We shall see.

Well, it's been 6 months since I had to park the cruiser due to blowing the headgasket.
With the wife still unemployed and with no extra time or money to invest into fixing it, I have decided it is time to part with the cruiser :frown:. I just hate seeing it sitting in the driveway, not being used.
I have some basic info in my signature, but will post up more info and pics in the "for sale" thread this weekend.

Unless you are really needing to sell it then i would keep it and try doing a HAMON.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom