Newer Speedo with 3 Speed?

Can anybody tell me whether I run a '73 or newer FJ40 speedometer in my '71 with stock (3 speed) transfer case? I'm hoping the newer speedo cable will plug right into the transfer case.

================================
Sotros in Boise, ID.
New to forum.
Mostly stock '71 FJ40 owned since '73.
Upgrades: A/C & Front Discs.

Correction (dang it!) - Can anybody tell me whether I CAN run a '73 or newer FJ40 speedometer in my '71 with stock (3 speed) transfer case? I'm hoping the newer speedo cable will plug right into the transfer case.

Thanks,
Sotros

if the end of the speedo cable is the same as the stock for your 3spd it should work. I'm not sure about the gears and if it will show the correct speed though.

It will fit at the transfercase. Just get the right length and a clip-on for the newer speedo head. I put a later speedo head in a '65 cluster and it was not a direct bolt-in replacement, but not difficult, either. IIRC, I just had to elongate some holes.

GL

Ed

Thanks guys. Looks like I found a '71 speedo head in good shape & reasonable price. If it doesn't work out I'll go with the newer head.

Now it looks like the brake booster might have gone bad ... just when I thought I was about ready to go. Nuthin like a good project to keep me oughta trouble (except with ole what's-her'name).

Sotros - back in the garage again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom