Newbie in NJ (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi from NJ, after a year of lurking, drooling and research I finally bought my 100 two weeks ago. Its a 05 LC with 158k miles, single owner with a great service history but had a minor accident back in 2008, got it for $12.5 before tax and tags. The interior is almost perfect, everything works even the antenna, it has some minor surface rust on the frame but nothing I can't take care of. A few dings here and there and a 3 inch scrape on the front bumper other than that it's in great shape. It really didn't need it but I cleaned the seats with chemical guys leather cleaner and conditioner. Speaker up front were blown so I replaced them with Memphis audio component speakers and did an oil change. No big plans yet other than to get it baselined and drive. Wife is 6 months preggo so the running boards have to stay a little longer. Can't believe I haven't taken more pics, love the thundercloud metallic, my wife yells at me for looking back at it after we get out.
I'll eventually put on some ko2's, had them on my TJ and loved them.

This forum is great, tons of info and no keyboard jockeys. Coming from Subaru forums(nasioc) and then the Jeep forums its a huge difference.

Any way if you made it this far I bought a 5 pack of Carfax and only used one. First four that need a Carfax ran, serious potential buys only please, post here and I'll message you the report.

i was going to ask the same thing. I grew up in central jersey and am now south of philly by villanova. I came from 15 years of jeeps and after i sold my last entirely overbuilt TJ two years ago swore i was done and yet here we are. I am two weeks into LX ownership and we are probably going through most of the same baselining (all fluids, Balljoints, CVs, steering rack, tres, tires, stereo). I am still 3 weeks away from tackling the minor rust on mine. After WAY too much research i decided of VHT rust converter for the main and easily accessible spots and then going a full fluid film treatment including all the spots you cant see via a cavity attachment.

I'm in Burlington county about 20 mins north of Philly. Yeah gonna use a rust converter then fluid film. The PO did alot of maintenance, seems like it was in the dealer for every little thing so drive train wise it very solid. I'll be chipping away at some things here and there. I'll check out keystone cruiser but have plans on the 12th.

I'm in Burlington county about 20 mins north of Philly. Yeah gonna use a rust converter then fluid film. The PO did alot of maintenance, seems like it was in the dealer for every little thing so drive train wise it very solid. I'll be chipping away at some things here and there. I'll check out keystone cruiser but have plans on the 12th.
Cool, I'm in Burl Co too. There's plenty of trails in Colliers Mills and Wharton State Forest, not too far from you.

Yeah been to both in my Jeep a few times. I wanna get back to Wharton soon, who knows how much longer it's gonna be open to motor vehicles.

Cool, I'm in Burl Co too. There's plenty of trails in Colliers Mills and Wharton State Forest, not too far from you.

a warning about wharton, i was there about a month ago and it is nothing like it use to be just a few years ago. We got a ticket within about 5 minutes for pulling over into a clearing off the main path to let me 4 yo explore. The "posted signs" were on 8.5x11 with 12 point font so it was barely noticable. We got talking to the ranger and ANYTHING that doesnt show up on gps is considered off limits and illegal. asked about going to some places we use to and he let us know that they regularly impound vehicles now for going to what use to be common unregulated areas.

Yup, its horrible. You can go out west and driver over these beautiful rock formations but can't go through some sugar sand in the pines in nj.

BEG I'm in Florence but frequent Mt Holly/Westampton area so you might see me one day.

Yup, its horrible. You can go out west and driver over these beautiful rock formations but can't go through some sugar sand in the pines in nj.

Yeah, but I've seen some pretty trashed areas in the Pine Barrens and that was years ago, so I can't imagine that it's gotten any better......

Yeah, I recognized the street view pic as being in the Florence/Roebling area. Nice to have a local, fellow 100 series fan!

Haha, Nope that was Brooklyn, where I actually bought the truck, but I can see what you're saying.

Reactions: BEG
Yeah, but I've seen some pretty trashed areas in the Pine Barrens and that was years ago, so I can't imagine that it's gotten any better......

Absolutely true, it's a shame that there's a bad element that ruins it, when on the other side of the spectrum your have off-road groups organizing clean up days.

Last edited:
a warning about wharton, i was there about a month ago and it is nothing like it use to be just a few years ago. We got a ticket within about 5 minutes for pulling over into a clearing off the main path to let me 4 yo explore. The "posted signs" were on 8.5x11 with 12 point font so it was barely noticable. We got talking to the ranger and ANYTHING that doesnt show up on gps is considered off limits and illegal. asked about going to some places we use to and he let us know that they regularly impound vehicles now for going to what use to be common unregulated areas.
That's unfortunate, but the rules haven't actually changed. I'm glad they're allowing GPS as a guideline because it used to be the only legal roads were the ones shown on the official map you had to buy at the ranger station. The Pinelands is an ecologically sensitive area and lends itself more towards backwoods exploring than to tackling challenging terrain.

That's unfortunate, but the rules haven't actually changed. I'm glad they're allowing GPS as a guideline because it used to be the only legal roads were the ones shown on the official map you had to buy at the ranger station. The Pinelands is an ecologically sensitive area and lends itself more towards backwoods exploring than to tackling challenging terrain.

My biggest disappointment of the day was that you couldnt drive up to the parking lot of apple pie hill anymore. I drove the hour out there to show my son and he is way too little to hike the mile the ranger told us we had to park away from the fire tower.

We drove around for a little bit but ultimately the only thing you were allowed to see were 1 car width trails with pine trees and incredible ruts. I asked him about the old fire roads out by LBI and he said those were absolutely illegal and we would have our car impounded if we were back there too.

My biggest disappointment of the day was that you couldnt drive up to the parking lot of apple pie hill anymore. I drove the hour out there to show my son and he is way too little to hike the mile the ranger told us we had to park away from the fire tower.

We drove around for a little bit but ultimately the only thing you were allowed to see were 1 car width trails with pine trees and incredible ruts. I asked him about the old fire roads out by LBI and he said those were absolutely illegal and we would have our car impounded if we were back there too.

How long ago was that? I was there in feb with my jeep and drove to the base of the hill to the tower. Fire marshall was in the tower so I was able to climb the steps, he didn't say anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom