Newbie here, checkin in (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all!!! Been lurking the site for the last couple of weeks getting ideas and tips on my dad and I's project. We have a 1974 FJ40 that we received as payment for a construction job. Basically we're redoing everything! and keeping it as cheap as possible (painting and refurbishing everything that is salvagable). There's no rust at all and is in pretty decent shape. Not at the moment though, because we took everything off and am starting from the ground up. So far we've coated the frame, put a new 4" OME lift on, re-did all the brakes with new stuff, Skyjacker shocks, just started wiring a new painless wiring harness. We're beginning to paint the whole thing piece by piece: so far the hood,emblems,bumpers,grille have been painted. We're in the process of rolling on a herculiner on the inside floor and also the rollcage. We're not sure about what seats are going to go in yet because we chucked the old seats that were no good, but kept the frames, don't worry. The engine, tranny, transfer case, and driveshaft are out right now and I'm pretty sure we're going to stick with the 2F engine and just go down to specter offroad and drop off the old and pick up the new. While they were out we also powerwashed and painted the engine bay. Now...wheels/tires. Right now we just painted the white steel wheels that were on there when we got it black and got some used 33's. Since the truck isn't moving we didn't get anything special yet. The plan so far is to get the cragar soft 8's and runs some super swamper tsl's or tsl radials. Being very new to this scene, are there any weak points that we should take care of while we're into this? Also, the 74 has different turn signals then say a 78, are the 78's compattible on our 74? I like the way they look compared to the ones we have. Thanks.

Sorry for the long post..... Oh yeah, I'm in NorCal attending college and my dad doesn't go on the computer, so I can't post pics until I go home(SoCal) from march 12-16.

Last edited:
Actually, you know what. I might have some on my other computer from the teardown. Let me check it out and get back here. I know for sure I have some of our jeep, my silverado, and my old typhoon. But you probably don't want to see those.....lol

Pic reminder...

Haha, I found 4 from my desktop computer. They're from 1/7/06 when we first started tearing it down.
During the tear down, suspension and brakes were done in this pic. Oh yeah, they're skyjacker shocks and rough country steering stabilizer.
100_0026.jpg

100_0028.jpg

Here's the engine bay before we pulled the engine and painted the bay.
100_0027.jpg

Inside during de-construction- Getting herculined now and painted
100_0029.jpg

Last edited:
Bumpin this up so I can find it easier. Driven to my dads tonight for a week and will post some updated pics of the 40 hopefully during this week, but if not when I get back home for sure. Hopefully he's made some progress....haha...can't wait for college to be done so I can help get this complete. Should be pick'n up the new engine/tranny here soon from Spector. I WANT TO GO WHEEL'N!!! My Silverado is kind of long:D

P.S.- I'm going to measure while I'm down there, but do those 33's look small?!? Might have to step it up to 35's when the time comes. I think we put on the heavy duty shackles (1.5" I think) and the 4" OME suspension.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom