new XM radio kit (beating a dead horse) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am so sick of this xm radio. I have had a subscription for several years and several different vehicles and I have never had this problem? Has any one bought one of the XM add on kits with its own antenna?

Right now mine will lose signal at least 5 times on my 20 min commute. My biggest complaint is how long it takes it to reconnect. It could be anywhere between 5 sec to 5 min.:bang:

I know Im beating a dead horse. I just wish we could figure out a fix for this
:deadhorse:

Any advice for fix would be greatly appreciated

Any chance an after-market roof rack was added and might be in contact with the shark fin? I've read others post updates that this might cause some interference, possibly leading to the behavior you are describing. Just a guess tho...

Any chance an after-market roof rack was added and might be in contact with the shark fin? I've read others post updates that this might cause some interference, possibly leading to the behavior you are describing. Just a guess tho...

No, I still have the factory rack. I have taken it to the dealership and they cant figure it out either. Right now I am considering a XM kit that mounts on the dash. I just hate how they look mounted up there.

Let us know what you figure out. It's a problem on the '14 and '17 I own. I just got an initial quality survey for my '17 and complained multiple times about the satellite radio reception.

I complained to my dealer who really wasn't listening even when I mentioned no problems in a couple of 4Runners, a Tacoma, an FJ cruiser and even a Prius. My 3-month trial just expired. I think my next move will be to tell XM that I'm not renewing because I can't get decent reception. I'm sure they will try to blame Toyota and my reply will be but it's your radio connection - get it fixed it you want a renewal. Maybe a corporate partner can weigh in and get Toyota to listen.

I just use the XM/Serius app on my phone. Ya...I know...gotta have cellular connection... But meh...it's great. Also, some channels allow DVR-like playback of programs from earlier in the day...so you can skip commercials, etc.

I gave up on XM due to poor and skipped signals. Even with a aftermarket radio I had super compressed signals leading to poor audio quality. Just beware that if you cancel, they will come after you for months via phone, text, mail, email, and carrier pigeon to renew. In fact, just to put a point on the point, I even had to cancel the credit card I was using for their service just to get them to stop auto-charging. I know there are lots of folks who like the service, but I think it's still a work in progress and I don't use it in my 200. Pandora serves my music needs and phone apps or Entunes does everything else I need.

I gave up on XM due to poor and skipped signals. Even with a aftermarket radio I had super compressed signals leading to poor audio quality. Just beware that if you cancel, they will come after you for months via phone, text, mail, email, and carrier pigeon to renew. In fact, just to put a point on the point, I even had to cancel the credit card I was using for their service just to get them to stop auto-charging. I know there are lots of folks who like the service, but I think it's still a work in progress and I don't use it in my 200. Pandora serves my music needs and phone apps or Entunes does everything else I need.

They're relentless when you cancel, it's brutal.

They've also had nearly 3 decades to get it right.

That being said, it's great for camping where no other signal is possible and the content is great. It's just actually receiving that content and in a decent quality stream that's the issue.

I've had luck with an XM add on to the factory NAV for my '04 100. The XM antenna is run up along the windshield trim and sits on the roof. Reception is good but is lost occasionally while sitting in traffic under an overpass.

Might be worth seeing if the connector is the same and testing before permanent installation.

Not much worse than bad XM reception. It's expensive and should work 99+% of the time without frustrating cut out.

IMG_3078.JPG

I've had luck with an XM add on to the factory NAV for my '04 100. The XM antenna is run up along the windshield trim and sits on the roof. Reception is good but is lost occasionally while sitting in traffic under an overpass.

Might be worth seeing if the connector is the same and testing before permanent installation.

Not much worse than bad XM reception. It's expensive and should work 99+% of the time without frustrating cut out.

View attachment 1485969

That would be a great option. I inquired about this option at Best Buy and they were no help at all. Im headed to one of the local car audio shops today to see if they could help. I really dont cherish the idea of pulling the dash apart on this thing.

Current Porsche 991 (911) have known defective XM/Sirrius pod antennas..... warranty replaced mine w/new one
and works good.

On my '15 LC 200, dealer had no answer - Disappointing

I havn't had any issues on my '15 when I had XM. Even worked inside the garage with the door closed.
I canceled it though- quality was poor and the sound was too compressed. But the signal was good while I had it.

In any case though- Toyota/Lexus has a process for testing signal. If under warranty they should be performing a test to see if things are in "spec"

Keep in mind they have to tear the car apart to test and/or repair... And we know that dealers are about as delicate as surgeons with sledge hammers.

TSB for Lexus is attached. (Page 7 - 9 for XM)

Attachments

• DownloadPdf.pdf
    895 KB · Views: 265

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom