New TRD owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DBS -- I'm sure there will be some that keep it bone stock. Not me. As a general rule, I don't sell many vehicles. I run them until they die, or total them. My DD is a 95 Chevy 3/4ton 7.4L pickup. Currently just went past 240K. Had my 72 Fj40 for 10 years now. I suspect that the FJC will follow the same evolutionary trail, but as long as I have the 40, it won't become a rock crawler.

I don't think there were enough "unique" things about the TRD that warrant "collector" status. Black roof and 16" grey TRD wheels are the only things you can't get on a regular FJC.

personally i think the entire FJ line will be collectors items, in the same way taht any FJ is a collectors item. i mean, no, for the most part FJ owners arent going to auto boutiques etc. but several are on their 2, 3rd or more FJ. no, they dont collect for car shows, but they do collect for rock crawlin etc. if toyota is smart (and i think they are) they wont make this truck for a long time. perhaps 10 years max. and then these trucks will be like the Turbo Supra.

they built an amazing car here and stopped at its peak. there was still healthy demand so to anyone who took buisness 101 this would seem like a bad move, but look at what it did, it created a cult following, and Twin turbo Supras are VERY coveted items. now in the next 5 years or so when toyota decides to make another sports car under the toyota badge, the supra credintials will still be in tact and the demand will be stronger than ever, AND when another sports car IS released it will create another wave of cult following.

same with the FJ. those loyal to the FJ brand have had a cult following for years, it never died. they bring back the spirit of the original, without gutting its soul, (you have to admit for a modern car the FJ ire REALLY consistent with the utilitarianisim that the FJ has always represented). this truck injects new life into the Toyota offraod community (not that its dying by anymeans). they'll keep the floodgates open and let the community grow for 10 years or so, seal them off and watch the community mature and become even more loyal, and when 90% of FJc's are trail rigs you can rest assured that 90% of those owners will have a toyota filling the role of DD. toyota is so effing smart! then when 90% of the FJc's are trail rigs they will make another FJ type model and the trend will continue.

ok, so maybe i'm way off base here, but it seems like a logical battle plan to me, i mean think about it, by having more mainstream vehicles almost as testing beds for technology they dont run the risk of tarnishing a great nameplate with a bad idea, it also allows them to bring any new idea to maturity before putting it in a niche segment vehicle (think about IFS, if Toyota hadnt been using IFS for the past decade or two, and they built the FJc with it, the legitimacy of the FJc would be in serious question methinks.) having had years of experience with all different parts of the puzzle they can put it together the first time and get it pretty much perfect. no, the FJ wasnt planned or anything, but they were prepared for it thats for sure. they saw an oppty and already had tried, tested and prooven tools to implement a vehicle that could meet or surpass the bars of expectation that were set for it. idk if there was any concious plan at toyota to make this truck from the beginning, they claim there wasnt, but rest assured that anytime toyota sees an oppurtunity they will have the tools and technologies at their finger tips to take full advantage of it very quickly.

</philisophical soapbox>

Nice looking rig!

The TRD will be worth dough someday. No doubt about it. I just kept all my stock crap so I can put it back to original someday. Don't think the accessories will matter much though. My old '76 did not see any depreciation from an OME lift, power steering, air conditioning, and a winch. In fact I think it helped.

And by the way, great pics. The TRD is the only one that looks good bald in my opinion. All other colors need a rack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom