New to Mud... but been Cruisin' for years. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

New Mud member here.... been lurking for years when I need answers but decided to finally join up and hopefully provide some content and answer questions. I'm based now out of Asheville, NC but that's fairly recent and before that was based out of SoFLA.

I'm the original owner of my 2011 200 Series, it just rolled 105,000mi and have dumped too much money in to my truck to admit but never regretted any of it as it's been a rewarding experience driving a legend... On the 2nd day of ownership it was already hitting the trails and while I've been chastised for wheeling such an expensive rig (only those who don't understand the LC brand and what it stands for) my rig has never left me stuck or stranded and has impressed many (Jeepers including) with its capabilities offroad.

The only mechanical issue in all my years of ownership experienced on the truck was repaired under factory warranty which was the Center-Diff Solenoid actuator would occasionally flake out preventing shifting from 4hi/4lo... but even then left me stranded or in a sticking situation. All issues outside of that are related to the BCM quirking out and sometimes affecting my audio system/bluetooth, and also a wiring gremlin currently affecting my rear bumper brake lights.

This truck's build is 7 years in the making for now and every year offers a new project to tinker with. Because of my work arrangement I've been able to keep the mileage/year quite low over the past 4 years and hope to keep that going to keep the mileage down.

Current build list - parts and vendors have changed naturally over the past 7 years:

ARB Deluxe Front Bumper (paint matched recently) with Warn 9.5 XP-S and MasterPull synth winch line and Factor55 link.
SLEE Sliders
ARB Deluxe Rear Bumper (paint match recently) with double fold outs (tire and jerry can)
ARB Intensities up front
MLO/Rigid light pods installed in the front bar
ARB Aluminum Roof Rack (paint match) with 40" VisionX light bar, BajaDesign 360 degree LED lighting, Hi-Lift Jack, Max Trax, ARB Dual Jerry Can holder, and ARB 2500 side awning mounted
34 x 10.5" BFG KO2s mounted to 17" EvoCorse wheels w/ -45 offset... no spacers.
Rasta 4x4 skid plates
ARB BP-51 Suspension w/ Dobinson 1200Kg coils in the rear (recent addition with addition of the LRA tank)
ARB Front and Rear Diffs powered by ARB single Hi-perf compressor
Yeasu 2M/70CM HAM radio
CB radio
Black Widow Rear Drawer System
National Luna Dual Battery Setup
Dual Optima Batteries (Yellow main and Blue aux)
40Gal LRA Aux tank (mounted in place of underside spare)
Switchpros 8-switch power distribution
LUX LED Rock lighting
Total Chaos UCAs/LCA up front
Total Chaos full set of adjustable rear links
ARB Fridge Slide
ARB 78L-Fridge/Freezer

On occasion the truck in it's current configuration will tow my new Black Series Dominator Camper trailer that I purchased at Expo East but I haven't had a chance to take it seriously wheeling so I reserve feedback yet on it's ruggedness...

Wish list...

-Cleaner wiring under the hood - thinking Off-Grid Engineering can help here
-Clear bra the front bumper and hood (i had them recently painted because of rust issues)
-Fix my bumper brake lights (hopefully next week)
-Better brakes (not easy slowing down a truck with 2000lbs of extra weight)
-Maybe a set of front and rear gears at some point
- Swap to better batteries (currently at 5 years of life)

The truck has scoured most of the east coast up and down but out west it's only be to Moab... more adventures await in due time.

Anyways... happy to cross paths with you all and collaborate on the forums.

Cheers!

image2.jpeg

image1.jpeg

Welcome...and nice looking build!

Let's see a pic of the Black Series. Been looking at those for the future when I make the move out west. Saw them at Expo and they looked really nice.

Nice!

I’ve got terrain tamer pads and rotors on my 08 and have been very happy with them. Very limited time towing with my 2800# camp trailer but they are a marked improvement.

Let's see a pic of the Black Series. Been looking at those for the future when I make the move out west. Saw them at Expo and they looked really nice.
I stalked several different trailers for two plus years (Conqueror, Patriot, Black Series) until I decided to pull the trigger... I went with Black Series for several reasons....

- 2nd place for offroadability... behind Patriot Campers and Conqueror came in last (because of sheer size)
- 1st place in price and I got a sweet deal for towing the trailer home from Expo east (less than half the price of the two competitors)
- the Black Series exterior/super structure/frame/suspension seems top notch... however the interior/electronics are much cheaper quality and is pretty much as expected with "Made in China".
- 1st place for storage - fits perfectly with my current garage setup as you can see in the pics.
- deploys to a sleep capable state in about 15 mins or less depending on if you unhook the truck or not

Feedback so far -

- again the interior and electronics are cheap(er) than the competition... Even though this is an "Australian Style" camper, it's Chinese made but significantly cheaper than Patriot or Conqueror. It's TBD how long this interior would last in the field. Exterior seems amazing.
- deploying the annex room is a PITA and I have yet to fully deploy it... it's definitely a two person job and takes a first timer a couple of hours+. I'm guessing with some practice it could be deployed in less than an hour (maybe 30 mins in skilled hands).
- I'll want to modify the hubs and spare tires to match what my truck uses (5x150).... this way both the truck and trailer have more viable spares.
- The trailer should make for perfect base camp setup but also works for a 1 night camp setup since it's sets up and folds up quick. My previous camp setup was an Oztent (JetTent) F-25X setup which was high on quality/high on price but also not as quick to deploy as advertised.
- Doesn't track outside the width of the truck
- truck tows it fine considering its a 3500# setup
- Electronic brake on the trailer work greats and slowing it down is a breeze.
-Re-gearing the truck would be ideal considering the weight of the truck plus paired with the weight of the trailer offroad would allow the drivetrain to work less hard.

Cheers!

image3.jpeg

image2 (1).jpeg

image1 (1).jpeg

A built 200 and a 5th Gen TA... the jealousy is all too real.

Welcome from a fellow North Carolinian!

Thanks for the reply and pics. Looks very nice! Like the toy up top too. We are leaning towards the hard side version, or at least my wife is. There are bears out there you know LOL. Great setup you have!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom