New to 3rd gens (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

You can normally find me stomping around the 120/150 forums but i have since departed that scene and embarked on possibly scoring a mint 98 Runner. really looking for piece of mind as i have to fly to GA to get it.

1 owner
0 rust (none anywhere)
interior and paint are 10/10
rear locker
service records are all well documented
new brakes and rotors/ shoes and drums
new master cylinder
new timing belt and WP
new tires
no accidents

Paying $9500

worth it?

4runner.jpg

4runner_1.jpg

4runner_2.jpg

4runner_3.jpg

4runner_4.jpg

Woah that is one clean third gen. While that price would've seemed sky high when I bought mine in 2016, it seems nearly fair in the current market and the shape that one is in. This thread is a few weeks old, did you end up pulling the trigger? I've been adding onto my SR5 for the past years and I'm finally about done with it. With that being said, I have plenty of experience and advice to hand out (if wanted) on the topic of third gens!

Woah that is one clean third gen. While that price would've seemed sky high when I bought mine in 2016, it seems nearly fair in the current market and the shape that one is in. This thread is a few weeks old, did you end up pulling the trigger? I've been adding onto my SR5 for the past years and I'm finally about done with it. With that being said, I have plenty of experience and advice to hand out (if wanted) on the topic of third gens!

thanks brotha! yeah i actually flew up there and drove it home. drove perfect! currently in the middle of doing a valve cover gasket, lower/upper pelum(tube gasket) replacement, spark plugs and wires as well LBJ. the runner is legit original. almost all the parts on the rig, despite its age show little to no wear. so im deciding to just do the obvious just to be safe. once they are done, ill start my build. and i'm always open to some advice and suggestions!!!

while we're on the topic of advice - can you explain this automatic 4wd? the shifter stays in 4H but there's a button on the side of my 4wd shifter that says 4x4. can you shed light on that?

thanks brotha! yeah i actually flew up there and drove it home. drove perfect! currently in the middle of doing a valve cover gasket, lower/upper pelum(tube gasket) replacement, spark plugs and wires as well LBJ. the runner is legit original. almost all the parts on the rig, despite its age show little to no wear. so im deciding to just do the obvious just to be safe. once they are done, ill start my build. and i'm always open to some advice and suggestions!!!

while we're on the topic of advice - can you explain this automatic 4wd? the shifter stays in 4H but there's a button on the side of my 4wd shifter that says 4x4. can you shed light on that?
Congrats on the purchase! Sometimes I wish I could go back to square one and have a fresh canvas to start with. Mad props to you for doing the less exciting maintenance stuff first, that's a wise choice.
Mine's an SR5 so the transfer case is slightly different. But from my understanding, your transfer case is a little more "convenient" than mine-- regular driving you're obviously in 2/rear wheel drive. Push that 4WD button and in you're now in 4 high. Pull that lever down/back (ensure you're in neutral first!) and you'll be in 4 low. Here's a link that could offer more explanation too.

Congrats on the purchase! Sometimes I wish I could go back to square one and have a fresh canvas to start with. Mad props to you for doing the less exciting maintenance stuff first, that's a wise choice.
Mine's an SR5 so the transfer case is slightly different. But from my understanding, your transfer case is a little more "convenient" than mine-- regular driving you're obviously in 2/rear wheel drive. Push that 4WD button and in you're now in 4 high. Pull that lever down/back (ensure you're in neutral first!) and you'll be in 4 low. Here's a link that could offer more explanation too.

Thank you, m8!!! not used to seeing a push button selector. pretty cool actually. wonder if folks had any issues with 4H engaging as these things rack up the miles.

Very nice! I have a few friends who have ran Dobinsons suspension and they have nothing but great things to say about it. Seems like a nice quality and price point. Let us know how you like them!

Beautiful example! I bought my '01 new and am now at 498,500 miles. Fantastic vehicles.
I also purchased an IMS setup that's sitting in the garage, patiently waiting until I find the time to install. :)

Andreas

D7117B61-E70E-4987-9FEE-455145A38456.jpeg

Beautiful example! I bought my '01 new and am now at 498,500 miles. Fantastic vehicles.
I also purchased an IMS setup that's sitting in the garage, patiently waiting until I find the time to install. :)

Andreas

View attachment 2863883

Man, those look pretty all put together!!! i guess at 200k my runner is still a baby. lol

Curious, what springs did you go with? i have the 134VR for the Rear and 236 for the front. also, do yoy know if i can preload the coil a little more to get it higher in the front?

Last edited:
Had a busy 4 days. had some downtime from this 13 day shift and managed to replace the stock Toyota guts with some goodies. front pic is after battling 1 side because it was my first time replacing tie rods, UCA's, sway bar links and putting struts and coils together. ordering them assembled next go round. any who, pretty pleased with the outcome and the ride is tip top. got an alignment this morning and that shop was clueless. will have to get another one next week.

C59 - 50222
C59 - 296
C59 - 50225
C59 - 137VR
Overland custom design Sway bar links
Mevotec UCA's ,from Rock auto that identifies as SPC UCA's

Merry Christmas, Mud!

Before&After.jpg

RunnaDetails.jpg

FrontEnd.jpg

MoreDetails.jpg

OneSide.jpg

Rear.jpg

RunnaGuts.jpg

RunnaRear.jpg

SPC.jpg

Oooh that looks nice! I am itching to install my setup ASAP.
Just checked my part numbers:
Front coils: C59-276
Rear coils: C59-137v
Front struts: IMS59-50222
Rear shocks: IMS59-50225

I also purchased a set of SPC arms, but didn't try RockAuto as I was under the impression they no longer carried the re-boxed SPCs for 3rd gens. :(

Are you on 265/75/16 or 285/75/16 tires?

Andreas

FF1E8410-7A28-4736-8C4B-60F52613331E.jpeg

Looks awesome! I'm jealous that you got in on the Rockauto SPCs and got lucky-- some people have reportedly gotten one of the older style (tubular) and one of the updated, forged versions when they ordered. I've gotta ask, what's next on the mods list?

Looks awesome! I'm jealous that you got in on the Rockauto SPCs and got lucky-- some people have reportedly gotten one of the older style (tubular) and one of the updated, forged versions when they ordered. I've gotta ask, what's next on the mods list?
thanks brotha! i was def on edge. i received one of the arms real fast, like next day and then the other one was due out for delivery 2 days later, so i went ahead and started installing everything. pulled the UCA's off and waited patiently. luckily they arrived matching! i read where they pretty much phased out the tubular style arms so folks are getting matching sets, consistently. as far as modifications, probably tubbing and some thicker tires and nicer wheels. i found a front bumper i really like as well as a rear one. however, my instinct is telling me to go sliders first since i have a Georgia traverse trip coming up following an Ocala trip as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom