New tire carrier solution? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I wanted a rear tire carrier that didn't require some huge heavy bumper or cutting into the stock bumper cover
I stumbled on to this unit made for the Prado 150 and I'm working to get a unit to test with the GX460 rear bumper.

What I'm looking for is some feedback as they want me to become a dealer for them in the US (Admin: I do not currently do retail sales, just considering it)

So post up what you think!

_ML89160.jpg
_ML89209.jpg
_ML89221.jpg
_ML89224.jpg

I like it, but it looks like it swings out to the drivers side. That may be an issue for loading things in the back if they need to be swung in from the drivers side.
Also, for many price is a factor of not wanting to go with a steel bumper and tire carrier.
So... How much are they asking retail?

It looks like the swing might be reposition-able to the right side. I’m really interested in weight, tow capability and tire direction swing. I like this!

Rear parking sensors? Looks lower clearance than stock bumper. If it can be raised higher so that those tubes wrap around the bumper profile that would be awesome. That would work well with the '10-13 reverse lights as they are verticle and pretty down low. Glad 460s are getting some attention

I need the hitch able to handle a trailer so none of the rigid/Wilco will work for me.

This supports the full tow rating.

I'll check to see if the swing can be reversed.

Parking sensors are in the bumper so any spare mount interferes with them operating properly.

It's not a high clearance piece, more about protection from sitting the bumper down on a rock.

Price I'm still working on as shipping is stupid high due to weight and size

Last edited:
I need the hitch able to handle a trailer so none of the rigid/Wilco will work for me.

This supports the full tow rating.

I'll check to see if the swing can be reversed.

Parking sensors are in the bumper so any spare mount interferes with them operating properly.

It's not a high clearance piece, more about protection from sitting there bumper down on a rock.

Price I'm still working on as shipping is stupid high due to weight and size

The Rigd Ultra-swing is tow rated at 10,000 lbs and 1,000 tongue weight. So more than anything the GX can tow legally and safely.

@Gazziza sorry but unless they've got some test data to back it up I'm not risking my trailer.

The Rigid unit appears to be built off of a standard 2" receiver extension which can actually lower the tongue rating of your hitch (think longer lever).

@Gazziza sorry but unless they've got some test data to back it up I'm not risking my trailer.

The Rigid unit appears to be built off of a standard 2" receiver extension which can actually lower the tongue rating of your hitch (think longer lever).

They did. Initially when they shipped them out they weren't officially tow rated. I got in on one of the initial units and it had a sticker on it that said "not rated for towing". About 3-4 months ago they had it officially tow/load tested and now all units come with a sticker stating that it's officially tow rated. This is directly from their website "The UltraSwing has been tested in a tow rating facility at over 20,000 lbs pull force and 10,000 lb downward force"

Don't believe me? Ask them, they should be able to provide you with all the details. I'm just passing the word along.

644198CC-30E2-4664-BA5D-E927E75F3B1B.jpeg
6D4B3F17-6F31-47CA-800B-5ADBE7620150.jpeg

I love my Ultraswing and Detours of Maine also makes a top notch comparable hitch. I like the one you posted, but Rigid is coming out with a lot of accessories that bolt onto the Ultraswin. Might be a crowded field with 3 other companies making them (Rigid, Wilco & DoM).

Ok, looks like pricing will be in the $600-700 range if I can get the freight company to play ball.

This unit also has a recovery point on each side as part of the main mounting plate connected to the frame.

Keep the feedback coming!

Attractive price, now I wonder if holes can be drilled to relocate the 2 inner parking sensors hmm...! If that's possible I really don't see a need to ever get a fulll swingout bumper for the people who aren't needing the clearance

View attachment 2154080View attachment 2154081
I love my Ultraswing and Detours of Maine also makes a top notch comparable hitch. I like the one you posted, but Rigid is coming out with a lot of accessories that bolt onto the Ultraswin. Might be a crowded field with 3 other companies making them (Rigid, Wilco & DoM).
which model of the Ultraswing did you get? I am thinking of going this direction as well. I am not ready for a bumper yet.

About to purchase too.
Which trailer plug did you use to power the license plate light?

the flat 4 plug.......you will need to remove to use the round 7.........but

if pulling a trailer at night w/round 7 you won't be able to see car license plate anyhow

Saw no reason to tap into cars tail light wiring that the tire carrier mfg suggested

h5MdHHf.jpg

the flat 4 plug.......you will need to remove to use the round 7.........but

if pulling a trailer at night w/round 7 you won't be able to see car license plate anyhow

Saw no reason to tap into cars tail light wiring that the tire carrier mfg suggested

h5MdHHf.jpg

I meant to ask if any additional trailer plug harness is needed or did you just elongated the light cables to the trailer oem trailer plug?

Can you please message me or show pics of how is connected.. Not good with wiring..

Thank you

Were you able to get one to try out ChiTown? I feel like this is the best solution if I don't swap the rear bumper out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom