New Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Love 'em or hate 'em ... the big-ass 7.3's are known for two thangs:

1. They'll run for a kerbillion miles if'n ya bother to change the oil once in awhile

and

2. Ford choked 'em down so much from the factory that they won't get out of their own way.

Number 1 has made them quite desirable and Number 2 is an easy fix.

Once I convinced the shop owner that I had no need to pull a truck sled or run a quarter mile, we got down to basics so the engine will perform like International intended for it to. Re-do the intake to get some air, add a chip to get the injectors to spit more fuel, and run a straight 4" exhaust to get rid of the gasses. Easy 100 hp gain for lil' cash. :cool:

For towin' ... swap out the valve body and torque converter on the transmission and upgrade to the transmission cooler from the later-model 6.0L diesels that has three times the capacity and is a direct bolt in replacement.

Upgrade the fuel system by removin' the stock fuel bowl. It tends to leak and ain't very efficient. Replace it with a pressure regulator and pressure return system. Add heavy-duty Caterpillar spin-on fuel filters and water separators (placed high inside the frame rails to keep away from rocks). Drop the tank to remove the bull**** factory filter and trim back the internal vent and fill tubes so a fella can actu'ly fill the factory tank up to capacity.

Good stuff. :cheers:

:flamingo:

20130401_fuel tank removed.jpg

20130401_water seperator.jpg

20130413_engine bay.jpg

Picked 'er up Saturday. :steer:

She runs really good now. No huge horsepower rig but drives really nice. Accelerates smoothly like a truck half 'er weight and size and shifts firmly. :cool:

Also had the young man swap out the front grill and headlights. Used a CNC machined grille from an '07 that has a better look and gets rid of the chrome. Also upgraded the headlights for better performance and a better look. Swapped out the tail lights and third brake light with smoked-lensed, LED units from Recon. :clap:

The games have begun. :beer:

port bow.jpg

20130415_bow.jpg

20130415_tail light.jpg

Last edited:
S'cribed.

Gotta change the gameplan here just a bit Folks. :meh:

Evidently some of the parts and pieces can't be ordered up 'till some of the other parts and pieces have done been installed. :rolleyes:

That means Lance and the Boys need the truck. So gonna fly from Florida to Maryland this weekend, shuttle the truck to Virginia, then fly back to Florida come Monday. :grinpimp:

Good news is the project completion's only gonna be delayed a week or so. Still shootin' for July first for this phase of the build. :cool:

Great news is gonna be able to start postin' up some progress pics next week. :bounce2::cheers::bounce2:

Until then ... this is the only pic I can provide today. :lol:

Last edited:
Hectic weekend ... but mission accomplished By Gawd! :cheers:

Second pic shows Lance's thoughts on workin' on a non Ty-ota vehicle. :grinpimp:

20130428_delivery.jpg

20130428_delivery2.jpg

Until then ... this is the only pic I can provide today. :lol:

Hot damn Kowboy, where was she when you dropped the truck off?!!

:eek:

Next time you're coming by bring her and I'll have the boys put a brass pole in the back of the F250...

Now I know it's done been too long since I've had a good project goin' on ...

Cuz I'm thinkin' your pic of the winch is just as sexy as my pic of the wench. :grinpimp:

Now I know it's done been too long since I've had a good project goin' on ...

Cuz I'm thinkin' your pic of the winch is just as sexy as my pic of the wench. :grinpimp:

Ummm... Nope.

Mega Cab? :grinpimp:

so is lance gonna take the powerchoke and put it in a truck that won't break all the time? :flipoff2:

and yes, ford really did fawk that engine....

so is lance gonna take the powerchoke and put it in a truck that won't break all the time?

Unless you're worried 'bout the body panels ... I reckon he'll be replacin' enuf parts to keep 'er from breakin'. :grinpimp:

Once you're done badmouthin' my ride ... why don't you make me a lil' list of some trails up there in your neck of the woods that a fullsize can play on. :idea:

Can a built fullsize get to Grizzly Lake?? How 'bout Holy Cross if you stop at the old town and not go on to Cleveland Rock?? :hmm:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom