New South Wales - Australia. Modified Fj45 registration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all. Has anyone any experience on gaining NSW registration for a FJ45 with a modified chassis. The plan is to modify the chassis to fit all VDJ79 running gear. I would use a 79 series as a donor pre ABS and air bag.
Any real world engineering information etc would be greatly appreciated.

When the ADR's changed in 1993 [?] they required side impact bars, ABS and airbags, meaning any chassis later than that would need those items included. So if you use a 1993 and older 80 series chassis you'll be good to go. I've seen scores of discussions on this topic and unfortunately this is the only way. Good luck with the build.

Thanks, good info. What's the deal with modifying the chassis ? Could I modifying the chassis to suit my requirements from an engineering perspective ? Do you know of a club I can join for historic registration and probably more information on engineers etc ?
Any help appreciated.

Yes, but you'll need an engineer to sign off on it and they'll more than likely want to see that certified tradesmen have done the work where safety is an issue like cutting and welding the chassis. The only place I know where there's a bunch of similar builds [some complete, some in progress] is the Aussie Facebook groups. They're actually really helpful. Are you on the dreaded 'Book?

Yes I agree re- safety issue. I think i will source a suitable engineer to avoid pitfalls. I am a qualified boilermaker welder so the chassis mods are not a problem, its the light gauge rust repairs that pose more of a challenge ! I will have a look around Facebook but not really a fan of facebook life, I prefer the real thing ! lol.
Really enjoyed your tale of the movie shoot by the way.

Thanks mate, it will be a cracker once done [one hopes].

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom