New Project 63 Chevy 4x4 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

More Progress

I got the bed parts sandblasted so their ready to go I did some work to clean the old paint off the hood, got it from a guy who was parting out a 66, I started the work on the bed sides but the passenger side is kind of crappy so I'm trying to find a new one, I found one on a trailer on an old homestead but getting to the owner is a challenge, I have been cleaning up the grill as well, should be good to go soon. More later
63 chevy 029resize.jpg
63 chevy 030resize.jpg
63 chevy 031resize.jpg

I tried to make the bed I had work but it was in too tuff of shape, I was passing an old homestead the other day and saw an old fleet short bed on an old trailer, it took several weeks to track the owner down and the short story is theut gave it to me, nice, I also bought an chevy engine for the truck, pic's included
63 chevy 050resize.jpg
63 chevy 051resize.jpg
63 chevy 056resize.jpg

Looking forward to more updates. This is a great project!

Update

It's been a while since I posted to thei project so here is an update, I finally finished most of the body work and sealed and sprayed some high build primer this week so it's finally looking like a truck, I modified the steering column it's too long for the power steering so I shortened it, I also had to convert to a hydralic clutch so I bought the advance adapter bracket for a chevy bell housing and used the toyota large bore slave, I think it will work fine, I'll paint the interior in the driveway and take it to the paint booth for the rest after I assemble the mechanicals, pic's to follow, cheers, Larry
63chevy6resize 021.jpg
63chevy6resize 022.jpg
63chevy6resize 026.jpg

Last edited:
Here some pic's of the clutch and motor, I ordered some rams horn manifolds the block huggers are going away.
63chevy6resize 024.jpg
63chevy6resize 025.jpg
63chevy6resize 023.jpg

Brief update

Painted the interior so I could assemble the mechanicals, rebuilt the front drive line, splines were bad, someone dipped them in some blue plastic to take up the slack, the thing would not even move, the shaft between the tranny and the divorced case is in to be lenghtened, I moved the small block foreward and had to change it to match, I am putting U joints on the steering column to make it work with the slightly offset steering box. I also bought the wood for the bed today I need to cut it and make the groves in it for the bed strips and drill all the bolt holes before I paint the bed and finish the wood. should be fun. I have to paint the steering wheel before assembly and wiring so we will se how that goes, I also rebuilt the seat springs and ordered a pad kit for a upholstery place should be fun as well, more later, cheers, Larry
IMG_0203resize.jpg
IMG_0202resize.jpg
IMG_0200resize.jpg

seats

Finall doing the finish stuff, rebuilt the seat and recovered it this weeekend didn't turn out too bad, pic's to follow, may try to paint next week
IMG_0209resize.jpg
63chevy6 040resize.jpg
63chevy6 046resize.jpg

Update

I haven't visited here in a while, so I thought I would give some pic's and where it is. I have a hard time in the fall and early winter finding time so january is coming, Just some paint, has dust on it so it dosen't look great, I had trouble with the gun so I have to respray, bed boards in the third pic, more later. Larry
misc5 008resize.jpg
misc5 010resize.jpg
misc5 011resize.jpg

I decided to replace the front axle to get disc brakes and make the power steering conversion easier pic's to follow
miscstuff8resize 007.jpg
miscstuff8resize008.jpg
miscstuff8resize 009.jpg

new stuff

I haven't posted on this project for a while so I thought I would give an update. The 305 I has was a POS si I rebuilt a 283 small block and have been putting it in, it of course changed almost everything, repositioned the power steering and changed the belts and hoses etc but I think it will be much better, I replaced the front end with a dana 44 and use a 76 brake brake booseter and MC to finish the brakes, it's been a cold winter and work out of a two car garage so progress was slow, some pic's of the 283 are included, more later, cheers, Larry
miscstuff 9 001resize.jpg
miscstuff 11 007resize.jpg
miscstuff 11 001resize.jpg

Last edited:
Impressive Larry.....I've got a 61---I wish I had your paint skillz. Will continue to watch your progress with envy.

repainted the truck finally

Had a chance to use the paintbooth today so we shot some color
IMG00018-20100807-1310.jpg
IMG00019-20100807-1321.jpg
IMG00021-20100807-1322.jpg