New power steering pump issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,
I just bought a new FJ40 power steering pump (Factory Toyota), and it seems to take a lot of torque to get it to move. With the pulley off, I cannot turn the shaft by hand at all. The old pump spins easily by hand, but that pump is not working. It will move with the pulley on, but it will cease up when under load when the steering wheel is turned.

Is there some sort of run in period, or might I have received a bad pump? The belt is pretty darn tight, but maybe I could get it tighter. My main question is if the pump should be able to be turned by hand with the pulley off.

Many thanks in advance,
Chuck

I wouldn't be tightening the belt anymore but finding out what the warranty covers for returns.

Might need to just bleed the system, think the front end gets jacked up, run it back and forth....or somethinks like that

Thanks everyone for their input! Landpimp, the pump doesn't turn at all with it completely disconnected from the system (just sitting on the bench). Is this what you mean? Thanks

ill go find one latter and give it a spin

but I was referring to it being hooked up, it needs to be bleed or it won't work right....

I assumed new was NLA, so you're talking about an NOS pump that could have been sitting on a shelf for a LONG time. Did you put ANY fluid in it before you started trying to rotate the dry bearing assemblies?

I did. I filled it up to the return inlet location.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom