New member Blizzard pearl '08. "Paint Peel" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all, after lurking for a few weeks I decided to join this forum! I just bought the wife a 2008 blizzard pearl 470. With a 2.5 year old and a little girl being born on May 7th, I wanted something a little more roomy for us. Coming from a 2013 base Forester she is in heaven !

The 470 is in great shape! I thought I had scored until I read of the dreaded blizzard pearl paint problems....what I thought were just rock chips may be the start of peeling issues. After learning about the issue I called Lexus and confirmed that my Vin is apart of the eligible paint correction but this ends February 2022. As of now I only have a a few small chips but I am scheduled to take it into the Lexus dealer next week to have them run their packing tape test and see if these start peeling any worse. I hope if it becomes an issue, I can catch it under the extended warranty.

It's a bummer as it is such a cool car. I already have the Grom VL2 unit and an eibach 2-3" lift coming for it. I have decided not to "flip it" and walk away. My hope is that either the paint will hold for years to come and if not, I'll most likely try my hand at raptor lining it white. A user on here did the with his and personally I think it looks great!

One question I do have that I have been unable to find...Does anyone have experience with ceramic coat ? I wonder if a ceramic coating would help keep the paint from peeling ? Being a UV blocker I thought it may seal it for a few years ? This GX has been garaged it's entire life. I figure that's probably why it has not begun delaminating any worse. We will have it in a carport so hopefully that will help!

Anyhow, I hope to not only use this forum for my questions but also help others as I progress with my "build" !
20210521_135231.jpg
20210528_184839_HDR.jpg
20210528_184821_HDR.jpg
20210528_184816_HDR.jpg
20210528_184803_HDR.jpg

Ceramic coat likely won’t help. The issue with the paint is that it doesn’t properly adhere to the surface metal, hence the “clean” peels.

the good news is that Toyota / Lexus will - potentially - cover your repairs on an 08. That’s cut off for coverage. So you can swing by your local Lexus dealership and let them take a look. Might get it fixed for free.

Ceramic coat likely won’t help. The issue with the paint is that it doesn’t properly adhere to the surface metal, hence the “clean” peels.

the good news is that Toyota / Lexus will - potentially - cover your repairs on an 08. That’s cut off for coverage. So you can swing by your local Lexus dealership and let them take a look. Might get it fixed for free.
I thought it was 10 years from the date of mfg?

I'll be taking it in Tuesday to see what they say. The bulletin I found stated it would only be covered for chips over 10mm. My two biggest are 5 mm. My hope is that they will run their test to see whether or not the chips grow. If the enlarge with the packing tape test, they will allow it to be repaired. My hope are not high but if it going to happen I hope it does it prior to February 2022 deadline

Fingers crossed they do right by you and cover the repair. It’s bogus to me that they are making folks jump through hoops for this when it’s a clearly documented defect from the factory.

I'll be taking it in Tuesday to see what they say. The bulletin I found stated it would only be covered for chips over 10mm. My two biggest are 5 mm. My hope is that they will run their test to see whether or not the chips grow. If the enlarge with the packing tape test, they will allow it to be repaired. My hope are not high but if it going to happen I hope it does it prior to February 2022 deadline
If I was in your position I’d be taking my own tape to the suspect areas and then bringing it in. If the paint was truly solid the tape won’t do any damage. If you let them take it back who is to say their “tape test” is even performed, or performed correctly. If you roll into the service bay though with 10mm+ peeled areas they can’t deny that since your vin is covered.

To me it’s the same thing as the Tacoma guys who get denied frame replacement because they had only a 5mm hole when a 10mm was required. If it were me in their shoes I’d be ball peening the area rather than allowing Toyota to deny me because I didn’t wait the additional short period of time to let that last little flake of rust give way that was holding a patch of frame together. Some might think that’s not ethical but id argue denying someone’s obviously rotting frame for a 5mm difference is pathetic.

If I was in your position I’d be taking my own tape to the suspect areas and then bringing it in. If the paint was truly solid the tape won’t do any damage. If you let them take it back who is to say their “tape test” is even performed, or performed correctly. If you roll into the service bay though with 10mm+ peeled areas they can’t deny that since your vin is covered.

To me it’s the same thing as the Tacoma guys who get denied frame replacement because they had only a 5mm hole when a 10mm was required. If it were me in their shoes I’d be ball peening the area rather than allowing Toyota to deny me because I didn’t wait the additional short period of time to let that last little flake of rust give way that was holding a patch of frame together. Some might think that’s not ethical but id argue denying someone’s obviously rotting frame for a 5mm difference is pathetic.
Very well said and great point ....

I have a 2015 Blizzard Pearl. Seems like that is a popular colour here in Charlotte.

This is my latest response I received. A big middle finger.

Thank you for contacting Lexus.

Below is a summary of your most recent email message received and our response.

We appreciate the continued opportunity to be of service to you.

Subject​

Blizzard White Paint issue
Response By Email (Daniell T.) (06/04/2021 01:44 PM)
Dear Mr. Burns,

We regret to learn of the concerns you have experienced with the paint on your 2007 GX 470.

Lexus strives to produce long-lasting, trouble-free parts and while we cannot predict an average life expectancy for any specific part or component, we do provide our limited implied factory warranty which reflects our confidence in the products we offer. Lexus’ warranty for the part you are inquiring about is 4 years, or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first starting from the vehicle's in-service date: 11/17/2006.

While there are situations where we gladly look into out of warranty financial assistance requests, we are simply unable to offer any assistance due to the age of your vehicle. If we do initiate any type of Safety Recall Campaign (SSC) in the future, you will be notified directly via first class mail.

Your concern is important to Lexus, and we appreciate the time you have taken to share your thoughts. Your email has been documented at our National Headquarters under case #210601001062.

Sincerely,

Daniell T.
Lexus Brand Engagement Center
Customer By CSS Web (Tim Burns) (06/01/2021 11:50 AM)
I have an 2007 GX-470 that has the well known paint peeling issues with this particular paint. I have read where Toyota has addressed this issue and I have talked to dealerships (Lexus) that have stated that they are working with the 2008-2009 owners. What are people like myself suppose to do that has the one year earlier and before Lexus that are having this issue to do? It is peeling badly on the roof area and below the windows on both sides. The repair/repaint cost of this as of know will be over $3000.00. I hope that Lexus will stand behind their loyal customers and address this issue will all customers that chose the "Blizzard Pearl" paint. Please advise me on the steps to be taken here and in the future. I understand that is not a recall as of yet but I'm hoping that Lexus will take care of this issue. Please be in touch,
Thank you.
Tim Burns

Question Reference # 210601-000131​

• Date Created: 06/01/2021 11:50 AM CT
  • Date Last Updated: 06/04/2021 01:44 PM CT

Below is a summary of your most recent email message received and our response.

We appreciate the continued opportunity to be of service to you.

Subject​

Blizzard White Paint issue
Response By Email (Daniell T.) (06/04/2021 01:44 PM)
Dear Mr. Burns,

We regret to learn of the concerns you have experienced with the paint on your 2007 GX 470.

Lexus strives to produce long-lasting, trouble-free parts and while we cannot predict an average life expectancy for any specific part or component, we do provide our limited implied factory warranty which reflects our confidence in the products we offer. Lexus’ warranty for the part you are inquiring about is 4 years, or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first starting from the vehicle's in-service date: 11/17/2006.

While there are situations where we gladly look into out of warranty financial assistance requests, we are simply unable to offer any assistance due to the age of your vehicle. If we do initiate any type of Safety Recall Campaign (SSC) in the future, you will be notified directly via first class mail.

Your concern is important to Lexus, and we appreciate the time you have taken to share your thoughts. Your email has been documented at our National Headquarters under case #210601001062.

Sincerely,

Daniell T.
Lexus Brand Engagement Center
Customer By CSS Web (Tim Burns) (06/01/2021 11:50 AM)
I have an 2007 GX-470 that has the well known paint peeling issues with this particular paint. I have read where Toyota has addressed this issue and I have talked to dealerships (Lexus) that have stated that they are working with the 2008-2009 owners. What are people like myself suppose to do that has the one year earlier and before Lexus that are having this issue to do? It is peeling badly on the roof area and below the windows on both sides. The repair/repaint cost of this as of know will be over $3000.00. I hope that Lexus will stand behind their loyal customers and address this issue will all customers that chose the "Blizzard Pearl" paint. Please advise me on the steps to be taken here and in the future. I understand that is not a recall as of yet but I'm hoping that Lexus will take care of this issue. Please be in touch,
Thank you.
Tim Burns

Question Reference # 210601-000131​

• Date Created: 06/01/2021 11:50 AM CT
  • Date Last Updated: 06/04/2021 01:44 PM CT

I have a family member with a blizzard pearl 07 as well. The Lexus rep working the case had us take it to a local dealer so they could take pics and upload to the case file for further investigation and review. A few weeks later the best thing they could offer was $500 credit towards a paint job. Better than nothing, but that would basically only cover tax on the paint job required to get it looking good again since every panel except the hood and front bumper was peeling (roof being the worst by far).

I have a family member with a blizzard pearl 07 as well. The Lexus rep working the case had us take it to a local dealer so they could take pics and upload to the case file for further investigation and review. A few weeks later the best thing they could offer was $500 credit towards a paint job. Better than nothing, but that would basically only cover tax on the paint job required to get it looking good again since every panel except the hood and front bumper was peeling (roof being the worst by far).
How did they get a Rep to even work a case or start a case?

Update on mine, I took it in last Tuesday thinking I would be dropping it off. The service rep just took pictures and sent me on my way. Monday I got a call to go down to their collision center to get an estimate on repair and send it back in to them...I have not made it in yet but I am hoping that is promising and unexpected since my spots are not yet above the 10mm minimum. We will see!

How did they get a Rep to even work a case or start a case?
You need to call Lexus Corporate. Say you want to check to see if you are eligible for the extended paint warranty (not a recall) for the blizzard pearl white. They'll ask for your VIN and tell you it is not one of the covered vehicles. From there, reiterate how bad the peeling is and that the bare primer is exposed and the damage is not from rock chips, etc... Ask them to create a case file and they should give you a number for your case that they build in the Lexus system. After that, schedule an appointment with your local dealer so they can take pics and upload them to the Lexus file they made for you. After a while corporate should get back to you with an offer to cover nothing, or maybe a little. You can always call back and reference the case number they gave you too if they go quiet.

It is a whole process and takes a lot of time to get things moving. You may have to call corporate a few times too until you get someone who can do more than read off of a script and is willing to help. Good luck and let us know the outcome if you go this route.

Fyi, I recently just got my 08 Gx470 painted by the Dealership but yes long process.

Yeah the 08's don't have a problem. Trying to get my 07 repainted, not having any luck this far.
Only 08-09 are covered under Lexus customer service. Mine has the same peeling issue but it just been repainted 1month ago

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom