New M-100 in tha family...let the fun begin (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We were headed on a family outing Friday when we passed an estate sale. Sitting in the front yard was a military trailer, looking all sad and ignored. The wife knows I've wanted one for some time, so she, much to my surprise, said to turn around so we could check it out. Looking it over, I could see some surface rust, a couple of places the rust has won the battle and a few civilian owner mods. It looked like a good starting point, but I figured they wanted too much.

I walked in, asked the lady her best price, to which she replied, "I can do $300, if you take it today." I got it for $250 and just got it home. I definitely have some work to do, but I couldn't pass up the price or the challenge.

When I picked it up today, the son of the deceased former-owner was there and gave me some history of the trailer. His dad apparently brought it home shortly after "the war" (WWII). It is one of the original 10,000 trailers contracted by Willys for the US Govt. It is serial number 7248 and was delivered to the US Govt in September 1942. The owner cut a tailgate into it to suit his purposes and replaced the lunette ring with a standard hitch setup. He also fabbed up the frame for a canvas top. Probably gonna scrap that, but time will tell. It had been in their family for at least 60 years, so I'm assuming I got a one-owner (post war service) trailer. It's nice to get things from people who can tell you some history behind them.

Here are some pics of what I'm starting with.

The manufacture plate is rough, but some of it is legible. I'm going to clean it up some or possibly look into getting a replacement. Any leads on that?

Wow The only way this would have been a better deal would have been to have it boxed and sent to you. GREAT score, looking forward to posts and pics, Best board to get all your help is here, Welcome to MUD, enjoy.

Ha! I found it about two miles from the house. Kinda funny since I flew to Denver and drive my 80 home. I was willing to travel to find a good deal.

A Bantam T3C

Nice find! I like the extended tongue, a piece of diamond plate and you are set. Looks like a Bantam T3C. A little work and she will be looking like this. What is in store? matching wheels and paint?

The Bantam T3-C Page
991curbsideafter.jpg

Though similar in dimension, it's not the M100
looks to be well bubbafied tho'

damn farmers LoL

check out the ACM #
if it's legible... you can know some stuff

G503.com Message Forums • View topic - How To Identify a WWII MBT or Bantam 1/4 Ton Trailer

G503.com Message Forums • View topic - G529 WWII 1/4 ton trailer Data base / registry

Don't believe everything someone might remember to know. muh $ .02

look forward to following the reconstruction...
good luck wit' it :wrench:

Ok. Pardon my ignorance on all things military trailers. I appreciate the help ID'ing what I truly have on my hands. If it was manufactured by Willys, Ser. # 7248 and delivery date of September 1942, what does that make it? I was sure that was a M-100. I checked the links you posted, and I'll have to look for the stuff mentioned, but any ideas off the top of your head?

After a little research, I think I've answered my own question. Google is your friend, right?

It looks like I have a WWII Bantam T3, most likely used in Austrailia, or somewhere in the Pacific theater.

It doesn't have the stake pockets, only civvy models, post-war, had those.
It doesn't have four grab handles on the corners, unique to Willys.
It has 4 tie-downs on each side, unlike the civvy model, which had 3.
It has three holes in the spring support brackets. M-100s have two.
It has one drain hole in the tub. Willys had two.

These are the features I can think of from memory. I'll have to check the spring packs, shock mounts, fender bolts, etc when I get home for further info.

Either way, I have a cool trailer, with some really interesting history behind it. I'm really looking forward to the work I'm going to put into it. The laundry list is growing and growing...

After a little research, I think I've answered my own question. Google is your friend, right?

It looks like I have a WWII Bantam T3, most likely used in Austrailia, or somewhere in the Pacific theater.
I'm no historian either... but T3 would be my guess as well

It doesn't have the stake pockets, only civvy models, post-war, had those.
It doesn't have four grab handles on the corners, unique to Willys.
It has 4 tie-downs on each side, unlike the civvy model, which had 3.
It has three holes in the spring support brackets. M-100s have two.
It has one drain hole in the tub. Willys had two.
I believe the M100 was the first to have handles at the corners.
1951 was the first year... I think
shouldn't be corner handles on anything prior

These are the features I can think of from memory. I'll have to check the spring packs, shock mounts, fender bolts, etc when I get home for further info.
You need only check the ACM# located on the frame, at the driver side front spring hanger.
The hanger might need to be removed to see the whole #... but not always
I posted the G503 registry sticky so that you could send your ACM# info to Chuck Lutz... chucklutz@mindspring.com
He can offer you nearly any information regarding...
including a USA service # if one were issued
In registering it... You could find verification of statement, the PO/seller has offered.
If you in fact have a very early model...
it could be worth more $ to a collector then you might think.
It could be sad if it were not reconstructed to reflect it's original history.

Either way, I have a cool trailer, with some really interesting history behind it. I'm really looking forward to the work I'm going to put into it. The laundry list is growing and growing...
hope you consider the history of it...
looking forward to seeing what direction you take it.

You have a Bantam T3C, rope hooks are the give away. Check frame rail lower driver side there may be a stamped ID mark in this area.

The Bantam T3C had three tie down hooks on the side instead of four like the military version. It also had a place for stakes on the inside while 1/4 ton military didn't. The two main suppliers of `/4 ton trailers during WWII were Bantam (T3) and Willys (MBT). Bantam was the company that had the original design of the jeep but the military awarded the contact to Willys since it was a larger company. Bantam got the contract for the trailer. Once the war started other companies besides Bantam made the trailers, Willys being one of them. Just like Ford made MB style jeeps during WWII. After the war Willys made jeeps to sell to the public and Bantam made 1/4 trailers for public sale. The early T3Cs had combat rims just like the military trailers. Beside having a 1 7/8" ball instead of a lunette it had a tailgate standard.

Here is my Sept. 43 MBT trailer I bought from the only other owner since it left military use. The combat rims were switched to 15" jeep wheels, original tail lights were gone but the rest was still original. Currnetly has later round military tail lights with what are refered to as Goma Goat lense covers. Waitng to find a good deal on a couple of 16" NDT to mount on the M100 16" rims I located.

Edit: Checking the site linked above it appears the four hooks per side continued for the first couple thousand units. But it also seems the data tag for this trailer would not be from a T3C.
005.JPG

Last edited:
Ok, well, after all the research last night and thinking I was onto something, I was wrong. I crawled around, and under the trailer today and found some things, couldn't find others.

First, here is the frame rail just in front of the left spring....not much help.

frame.jpg

Next, the spring pack. 8 leaves.

springs.jpg

Then the shock mounts, cotter pin style.

shock.jpg

And finally, I took a little better pic of the data plate. You can make out WILLYS in the very center of the pic. I can read Serial # 7248 and delivery date 9_____1942 with the naked eye.

2012-06-17_15-05-46_179.jpg

Any more ideas???????

Found this on another Willys site:

The features mine has are in red.

Shock Absorber & Shock Mounts:
Willys MBT: Willys used a Flat Washer and Cotter Pin to hold their trailer's shock absorbers (Monroe shock absorbers) onto the SMOOTH stud of the Shock Absorber Mounting Brackets (the same as on their MB Jeeps).
Bantam T-3: Bantam used a Flat Washer and Nut to hold their trailer's shock absorbers (Gabriel shock absorbers) onto the THREADED stud of the Shock Absorber Mounting Brackets.
Axles: 3 types: 1) with a cast housing in the center (Willys early), 2) with a center seam (Willys late), or 3) Solid (Bantam):
Willys MBT: Early World War II Willys built jeep trailers were the only ones to come with a 2 piece axle (actually 3 pieces, 2 tubes joined in the center by a heavy cast coupler). Willys later went to a single piece axle with a welded seem in the middle of the tube.
Bantam T-3: Bantam always used a one piece axle (A design that Willys shortly switched to as well); solid tube (no seam), spot (button) welded to hubs.
Data Plate Stampings:
Willys MBT: Willys only stamped the Month - Year of delivery on their trailer's data plates.
Bantam T-3: Bantam stamped the Month - DAY - Year of delivery on their trailer's data plates. Bantam's DASH Mark was a numeral '1' stamp turned sideways. If you are lucky enough to have your Jeep Trailers Data Plates with a Day stamp, you can use the Jeep & Trailer Day of Date of Delivery Calculator to determine what day of the week your Trailer was made on.
Frame Serial Number Plate:
Willys MBT: The plate on the underside of the left front spring hanger bracket on frame does not have a "B" stamped into the metal under the serial Number.
Bantam T-3: The plate on the underside of the left front spring hanger bracket on frame does have a "B" stamped into the metal under the serial Number.
Cross Members:
Willys MBT: Willys used 4 frame cross members.
Bantam T-3: Bantam used 3 frame cross members.
Tail Light Manufacturer:
Willys MBT: Willys used Tail Lights made by Corcoran Brown (C-B) Corp.
Bantam T-3: Bantam used Tail Lights made by ARROW Corp.

You need only check the ACM# located on the frame, at the driver side front spring hanger.
The hanger might need to be removed to see the whole #... but not always
I posted the G503 registry sticky so that you could send your ACM# info to Chuck Lutz... chucklutz@mindspring.com
He can offer you nearly any information regarding...
including a USA service # if one were issued
If you in fact have a very early model...
it could be worth more $ to a collector then you might think.
It could be sad if it were not reconstructed to reflect it's original history.

hope you consider the history of it...
looking forward to seeing what direction you take it.

I have looked for the ACM# on my 9/43 Willys MBT and haven't seen any part of a number. I haven't removed the spring perch to look. The only things I found missing on mine were the tail light or tail lights. Not sure if it had one or two. The combat rims but I've located one. All the reflectors are faded and one has been replaced. I mounted tail lights using the stock holes and bracket from a M100. What was there of the of the wiring harness was removed adn saved. Don't believe I will ever restore it to original but I will not do anything to move it further away from stock.:cheers:

Ok. Progress!! I dropped the left spring hanger and found what I believe to be the ACM #. Here's what I was able to uncover with a little gentle work:

2012-06-20_19-25-26_178.jpg

2012-06-20_19-24-43_503.jpg

Cool trailer, cool story and good deal!

-Daniel

Sent from deep in the mountains of Honduras using only sticks and rocks.

About to try to get back onto this project. It's been sitting for years after life got in the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom