New Ironman suspension installed, with measurements (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Had the Ironman Nitro Gas shocks/struts, and the Ironman “Stock firmness” springs, installed today.
2005, Sport package with KDSS.
KDSS made for a more difficult time, but everything ultimately went in fine with some persuasion.
Removed stock air bags due to a slow leak...dealership wanted more for replacement bags (installed) than entire Ironman kit with installation.
I was not happy to lose the ride-height, and shock firmness controls, but I gotta say the new setup rides very well. Really no (or very little maybe) difference in the “Cush” of the stock suspension.
Added UCA’s as well, and alignment came out perfect. Steering is very similar to stock.
GX had a serious rake initially. I think the front springs were pretty clapped-out (155k miles).
Still has a 1” differential between rear and front, so I can add weight in the back or tow a small trailer without the pre-runner look.
All measurements are from center of hub to fender flare. Tires are 255-75/17 KO2’s (approx 32”).

Left front. Pre 19”. Post 22”
Right front. Pre 19.5”. Post 22”

Left rear. Pre 21.5”. Post 23”
Right rear. Pre 22”. Post 23”

As you can see, I added 2.5-3” upfront, and 1-1.5” in the back. I think the front may settle a bit, which would be fine...I really was hoping for no more than 2” at all corners.

Very nice report but where are photos? You should make this your build thread and list all the detailed part numbers.

Sounds great, want pix too. 👍
As I understand the nitro shocks from IM, they're sort of ride hight adjustable, but by installing a spacer ring, right, when compared to Bilstein snap rings or other cpilovers.

Yeah, I installed a .25” aluminum spacer ring on the front driver side to correct for the Toyota-lean. It somehow magically made a half-inch correction.

4E4FC860-87D7-4AFD-85A6-69888666B69E.jpeg
B02C832A-B239-416A-9414-0DBDE24AF9FC.jpeg

It looks like you went with their forged UCAs too. smart move, that's good insurance.
It looks great, repeat photography after a week or two of settling.

I'm in the boat of considering 2" lift all around. I too don't want to go too high in front and am reconsidering appreciating the raked vs leveled stance. I too don't want to lose AVS or the auto-leveling ride height (auto compensation for load), BUT have recently driven a dobinsons lifted GX (albeit not sport) and it rode very well on the tiny bit of off pavement and rocky terrain i could do in an hour, as such I think I will appreciate the pros compensating for the cons of losing those features. They're exceptional features for stock suspension and understanding the gives-and-takes of aftermarket, I think the pros and gains of well-selected aftermarket will override the cons of losing those stock features... On-road was a scosh firmer than sport mode, but easily something i'd get used to for daily, in taking the major positive change off-road.

My concern with a fixed height lift is the infrequent heavy load for multi-day camping...but that's what helper airbags are for.

I was definitely considering being tempted by the IM nitro set on their holiday sale!! I think it'd be pretty comparable to the dobinsons lift (albeit Dobinsons are not front ride height adjustable whereas IM nitros are, both are twintube low pressure shocks)

thanks for sharing this build/lift! It's exactly part of the equation I'm looking for.

Last edited:
Yes, I’ll post updated measurements and pics once things have settled in. I’m expecting the front to come down between .5 and 1”, which would be perfect for my “aesthetic”.
I did go with their aluminum UCA’s...I wasn’t sure I’d need them given I was looking at a 2” kit, but I decided to take the $ saved by not getting the foam cell pro’s, and redirect it to the upper arms.
As you, I was sad to lose the controllability of the stock suspension...I at first thought it was gimmicky, but it really worked! Unfortunately, a pinhole leak in a rear bag forced my hand.
With the moderate lift and 32” KO2’s, I should be able to do the light-duty trails and exploring that I want, while maintaining ride comfort and reliability.
Good luck with your project.

Thanks for that explanation!
I just thought it was some sort of trickery.

That looks great McDuff. What size tires in the pics?

My kit was shipped this week and am anxious to get it installed. I too have a leaking airbag...

The distance between control arm frame pivot point to the coil over bottom and LCA ball joint is exactly 1:2. You space the strut 1/4" will net 1/2 at the wheel.
Thanks for that explanation!
I just thought it was some sort of trickery.
Well exained @Jstawgn!
Here's a screenshot from a strut top spacer lift install video, this helped me understand it.
Screenshot_20200106-225409.png

That looks great McDuff. What size tires in the pics?

My kit was shipped this week and am anxious to get it installed. I too have a leaking airbag...

Thanks...255-75/17 BFG KO2’s
On paper they should be 32”...mounted and on the truck, they are about 31.5+-
I like them because they’re load range C, so not quite as harsh riding as an E rated tire.
Good luck with the install. I think you’ll like the results.

Just noticed that from your original post...sorry! I like your choice of tire and thanks for mentioning the load range. For my uses Load Range C will do.

I’m really looking forward to getting rid of the saggy springs and improved ride. Thanks for posting your findings!

Nice lift, did you jus install the aluminum ring spacer that comes with strut kit on the driver side only? for lean correction? I have the same stock load kit and hoping to get only around 1.5" in the front so I'm thinking not installing the spacer at all. Nice to hear still rides close to the oem ride.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I installed the 1/4” spacer on the drivers side only, as I had about a 1/2” lean on that side (it was lower that passenger side).
Fixed it right up...riding level now.
I did get about 3” of lift initially, but that’s measured over some clapped-out stock front springs. Now that it’s settled, I’m at about 2.5” or so...I still have a rake, where the rear is slightly higher than the front, which I like.
One thing I’ll say, the ride is certainly more firm. Not in a bad way, but not “ahh, how luxurious” cushy like stock. I think the short wheelbase accentuates it a bit, but I’m happy regardless. On the highway, it’s smooth and tracks well. It feels more like a “truck” now, but in a very firm, capable way.
And it gives me peace of mind, knowing the airbag isn’t going to leave me stranded.

I don't mind the rake. I replaced my rear air suspension with the one from ebay six months ago and my suspension I think still work (no leak and adjustment works) even at over 170k.. I normally like it in comfort most of the time and only put in sport (second to the last) when loaded up or going on a little twisty road but the ride is not as good when I go offroad and the fear of getting stranded somewhere due to the air suspension prompted me to get the lift kit.

I have the same 4runner wheels but with 265/70 17 tires, hopefully it won't look too small after the lift because I don't plan on getting any bigger. Any tips installing the lift kit? mine been sitting in the garage almost 2 months now just gotta find time to do it.

Your tires will look fine...There’s less than 1” of difference in total diameter between our sizes.
Can’t offer much in the way of tips...but if you’re doing it yourself, make sure your jack and stands are up to the task and positioned well. I’d put the tires under the frame rails as added insurance.
A buddy could come in handy, specially when it’s time to “flex” the axels down to get the clearance needed to put the springs in. Also, make sure the washer stacks for the top of the shock bodies are installed in the proper sequence.
Seemed like the fronts were more difficult than the rears...but we also did new UCAs, so that added to the job.
Get a bungee to keep the front calipers and rotors from hanging free and putting unnecessary strain on the brake lines.

If you liked the electronic controls of the ride height and shock firmness (I did), you’ll miss that feature but you won’t lack for firmness or cornering stiffness with the upgrade. Everything just feels “tighter” and more athletic.
Good luck...

Had the Ironman Nitro Gas shocks/struts, and the Ironman “Stock firmness” springs, installed today.
2005, Sport package with KDSS.
KDSS made for a more difficult time, but everything ultimately went in fine with some persuasion.
Removed stock air bags due to a slow leak...dealership wanted more for replacement bags (installed) than entire Ironman kit with installation.
I was not happy to lose the ride-height, and shock firmness controls, but I gotta say the new setup rides very well. Really no (or very little maybe) difference in the “Cush” of the stock suspension.
Added UCA’s as well, and alignment came out perfect. Steering is very similar to stock.
GX had a serious rake initially. I think the front springs were pretty clapped-out (155k miles).
Still has a 1” differential between rear and front, so I can add weight in the back or tow a small trailer without the pre-runner look.
All measurements are from center of hub to fender flare. Tires are 255-75/17 KO2’s (approx 32”).

Left front. Pre 19”. Post 22”
Right front. Pre 19.5”. Post 22”

Left rear. Pre 21.5”. Post 23”
Right rear. Pre 22”. Post 23”

As you can see, I added 2.5-3” upfront, and 1-1.5” in the back. I think the front may settle a bit, which would be fine...I really was hoping for no more than 2” at all corners.
Hello. Where did you get yours installed at?

Did the ¼" spacer go on top of the hat, or did you have to disassemble the strut? I have the identical lean with Stage 3 FCP. It is actually mush better than the lean I had before, which was more like 1.5-1.75in

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom