New Headlights - more light please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just got these from e-bay and was wondering if anyone has used these lights and modified them to work with the Toshiba HIR (90011/90012s)? When I opened the package, they definitely are not set up to use the 9005/6 type of bulb.

My plan was to use an upgrade harness (Slee?) with the toshiba bulbs, but this doesn't appear to be an easy swap. Any suggestions?

BTW...I'm having to go with aftermarket lenses due to the originals being wrecked. If the DEPO lenses do not work, I guess I'll have to look for some used STOCK lenses.

thanks

I just got these from e-bay and was wondering if anyone has used these lights and modified them to work with the Toshiba HIR (90011/90012s)? When I opened the package, they definitely are not set up to use the 9005/6 type of bulb.

My plan was to use an upgrade harness (Slee?) with the toshiba bulbs, but this doesn't appear to be an easy swap. Any suggestions?

BTW...I'm having to go with aftermarket lenses due to the originals being wrecked. If the DEPO lenses do not work, I guess I'll have to look for some used STOCK lenses.

thanks

The short answer is no, you cannot and would not want to use the HIR lamps in these as the bulb types are completely different. The lamps you purchased use H4 bulbs in the low beams, H1 in the high beams.

Before you do anything, you are going to have to completely rewire how your headlights work. With the stock setup, you have a single filament bulb on the low beams, and a single filament bulb for the high beams. When you turn on the high beams on your stock lamps, the low beams stay on.

The new lamps you have purchased use a dual filament lamp on the low beams. When you turn on the high beams, the low beam filament in the low beams turns off, and the second filament comes on which changes their pattern to work properly with the high beams. You will need to look up on the internet to see what combination of relays and diodes you need to use to properly switch the new lights.

Once you have figured out the switching, you will also need to install new plugs, the stock 9005/9006 connectors are totally incompatible with H4/H1 bulbs.

Now we finally get to bulbs. For the H4 low beams, you will want to run the new high efficiency hella bulbs which are available from rallylights.com or danielsternlighting.com. The 65/70 bulbs put out 1350/2000 lumens, and the 80/85 bulbs put out 1750/2400. For the high beams 55 watt H1's put out 1800 lumens or so.

For simplicity, you may just want to return these lamps and either 1) use the stock lamps with HIR bulbs, or 2) get the projector conversion lamps that are floating around. The projectors will use the same wiring setup (single filament low and high beams) so you do not have to go through redesigning the wiring harness.

I would say try the HIR bulbs and Slee wiring harness first. Proven improvements at fairly inexpensive prices. I am very happy with mine.

That is route I took and have been very pleased.

Does the Slee harness really make that much of a difference? I installed hi/lo HIRs in my '97 and only saw a slight improvement. This has me debating whether or not I should get 'em again for my LX and Integra.:hmm:

I did the Slee harness, and used 9011's for all 4 bulbs in the stock housings/lamps. Couldn't be happier and have yet to be flashed by oncoming traffic. I can see deer coming from a long ways away. And we have millions of them.

You do get a hair more reflection back in a heavy snow/rain. Not enough of an issue for me to be concerned though. $100 for bulbs and what, $45 for the harness? Best improvement I've done to the LC.

Pic probably doesn't do it justice, but they do throw some light.
P1012249.JPG

Last edited:
I did the Slee harness, and used 9011's for all 4 bulbs in the stock housings/lamps. Couldn't be happier and have yet to be flashed by oncoming traffic. I can see deer coming from a long ways away. And we have millions of them.

2500 well focused lumens. Basically you are within spitting distance of an HID lamp with a properly focused pattern so there is not a lot of upward stray light to cause others problems.

I love my depos. In a few min ill have some light output comparison.

Seems to me that converting to H1/H4 wouldn't be that hard at all... DIY Making a 9005/9006 to H1/H4 adapter - Honda Prelude Forum

Except he didn't do it properly, his way lights both elements which will overheat the housing and potentially destroy it. It will also severely shorten bulb life. You need to switch off the low beam filament in the H4 and switch on the high beam one at the same time. From the stock harness, this required disrupting the flow of electricity to the low beam, which does not normally occur. You have to use relays and a diode to accomplish that.

The least expensive way around is to put high beam bulbs in the low beam socket, right?
Anyone tried this? How do they work?

The least expensive way around is to put high beam bulbs in the low beam socket, right?
Anyone tried this? How do they work?
see my post #49 above :)

I saw it. Love the idea, just didn't want to rewire.

No need to re-wire anything. You just modify the new bulbs with a nail clipper. Nothing on the vehicle is altered. I can re-post the instructions from HIR Headlights 9011 9012 bulbs. Very simple.

Looks like the link goes right to it. Just search for the high beam in low beam instructions on there somewhere.

ok, many thanks. I can add this to my list...

here is the difference

oem.
IMG_6969.jpg

with HIR bulbs

depo
IMG_6977.jpg

Im very happy with the results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom