New Guy!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

After searching in the 80 section the consensus seemed to be to use a 1/4 inch panel. This would give the best strength and resistance to bending the tailgate. There were a few different kinds of aluminum used. The 1/4 inch would also allow countersinking the bolt heads.

Any updates on these?

Yes and no, I'm trying to get two 53x17x.25 thk for FREE! we have .200 thk whick no doubt will work. Lighter thiner and stronger than 6160 but I'm about 3" short on the 53" leingth. my next option is to order the material which is a 2-3 day turn around. but its around a hundy. Thats alot to me. in my head better to wait on free. what do you think?

You're too new to know it yet but Im a big cheapass soooo.... YES free is always better!!:D

But if that's too hard Im more than happy to pay for it, id rather do that then this project fall through. On the material im not picky, whatever you think will work. Any forged aluminum will provide loads more strength than a piece of cardboard backed carpet and not catch on fire when making flaming beverages :beer:

You're too new to know it yet but Im a big cheapass soooo.... YES free is always better!!:D

But if that's too hard Im more than happy to pay for it, id rather do that then this project fall through. On the material im not picky, whatever you think will work. Any forged aluminum will provide loads more strength than a piece of cardboard backed carpet and not catch on fire when making flaming beverages :beer:

What Josh said. I dont mind paying a little for the best option. That price may still come out cheaper than what Ive seen others had to pay.

ok guys I'll get the cost for the material before friday perhaps it will be here mid-week.

Ok guys good news and better news I can get 1pcs of aircraft Alu. ( stronger than 6160. and lighter) from one of our suppliers that will sell remanents or cutoffs. they have a piece of 36x60 thats enough for two tailgates and it doesn't have to be that thick! .187 vs. .250 thk. with shipping and tax 212.08
the better news is this is a common drop off for them. to order a peice of 6160. with the same dimentions but .250 thk would be very close to 300.00 and if you want aircraft grade well over 4! So this is straight luck to get this. i can trim/shape it to size my self. lead time is like three days or when ever we have an order come in from these guys which is about 2-3 times a mo.

Sounds awesome, im in for half of that piece. How should i get you the money?
paypal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom