New guy intro post (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,
John here and at the tail end of my Air Force career. I’m currently stationed in Germany but have an assignment to Little Rock, Arkansas next for my final base. I’ve owned a few Toyotas before I moved to Germany ( ‘00 4Runner, 03 Tundra, 07 FJ) and my plan is to pick up a GX 460 when I land in Baltimore at the end of June to road trip down to Arkansas. Right now I have an 04 Mercedes E240 wagon which has been a lot of fun here and does the job for transportation but I definitely miss being able to drive and play in the dirt.
I’m still trying to figure what is what in the GX world and am thinking something between 2013-2016. Is there anything I should be looking for with options that are must have or is there anything that the 2013 is missing from a newer model? I will be using it for my daily driver as well as road trips and overlanding. I’m also a huge mountain biker so will be using it for that too. I look forward to learning and hopefully able to pass some of my knowledge on to others as well. Thanks!!

I'm new here too, but I saw these recently, and seems like they may help with some of your questions:

Well, hello gentlemen and welcome to the money pit, er forum!
With all due respect, if I may direct you both of you to the main forum here: GX460 / Prado150 - https://forum.ih8mud.com/forums/gx460-prado150.271/
At the very top there are five permanent (sticky) posts that will probably answer most of your questions, especially regarding models, trim levels, etc.
So on that note, grab a cup of your favorite hot beverage, or a bottle of your favorite cold one, a comfortable chair and please enjoy some of the information collected by so many of the members here! :cheers:

Always feel free to ask questions, the only caveat that we ask is that you please do a search first if it's something basic like "What tire size should I get?" or "What bumpers are there?"
As they say the only dumb question is the one that hasn't been asked.

Looking forward to what you all end up with and hopefully posts about your builds!! 👍

r2m, thanks for the info and encouragement. Just would like to say my 2 cents in that I've already been perusing those stickies except for the manuals, and am very much in research on my own mode until I come up to speed. I'm not 100% on this, but I don't see how those stickies directly, or at least easily, address the questions that were asked, but maybe that's just my interpretation of the questions or my overload on all this information. At any rate, I am finding the link below to be an excellent starting point for info, and it's related to these forums and not some other forum, so let me say kudos to the GXOR community for it. SIG383 if you haven't already seen it yet definitely check it out:

Last edited:
Well, hello gentlemen and welcome to the money pit, er forum!
With all due respect, if I may direct you both of you to the main forum here: GX460 / Prado150 - https://forum.ih8mud.com/forums/gx460-prado150.271/
At the very top there are five permanent (sticky) posts that will probably answer most of your questions, especially regarding models, trim levels, etc.
So on that note, grab a cup of your favorite hot beverage, or a bottle of your favorite cold one, a comfortable chair and please enjoy some of the information collected by so many of the members here! :cheers:

Always feel free to ask questions, the only caveat that we ask is that you please do a search first if it's something basic like "What tire size should I get?" or "What bumpers are there?"
As they say the only dumb question is the one that hasn't been asked.

Looking forward to what you all end up with and hopefully posts about your builds!! 👍
Thank you! After owner a couple Land Rovers, Porsche, Mercedes and BMW, I think I’ll be good with a Lexus money pit, lol. Thankfully I’m a pretty decent mechanic so I don’t have to go to a shop and pay them, just the cost of parts.

One question I do have, are there any places to look at on a 460 to check for rust? I know this could be a potential issue purchasing one from the Baltimore area but I don’t want to wait until I get to Arkansas because then I would be throwing money away for a rental vehicle.

I am excited and looking forward to getting my 460 and will be starting my build soon after I get settled in Arkansas.

r2m, thanks for the info and encouragement. Just would like to say my 2 cents in that I've already been perusing those stickies except for the manuals, and am very much in research on my own mode until I come up to speed. I'm not 100% on this, but I don't see how those stickies directly, or at least easily, address the questions that were asked, but maybe that's just my interpretation of the questions or my overload on all this information. At any rate, I am finding the link below to be an excellent starting point for info, and it's related to these forums and not some other forum, so let me say kudos to the GXOR community for it. SIG383 if you haven't already seen it yet definitely check it out:

Thanks!! I’ve been looking at the GXOR link and already found some useful info there. I don’t have Facebook so can’t check out their group but oh well.

I put together those links that jeffmcutter posted... not pretty but really not much informational cohesion on 460s when I purchased mine 4 years ago.

What is important to you in vehicle? Are there electronic mods you would like to do yourself? That may steer a direction.

Basic stereo or want a Mark Levinson? Nuluxe (imitation leather), leather, or Semi-aniline leather?

Is it cold or hot where you plan to utilize? There are heating & cooling options that might come into play.

You can do view only on Facebook without signing up to GXOR or Facebook

Last edited:
Rust threads...

Ultimate Rust Guide off GXOR

IMO.. purchase one outside the salt belt

Check vehicle service history (VIN Needed)

Vehicle Build Data & Date of First Use (The latter can be used to determine if any factory warranty is left)

FAQ: GX 460 Model Year Changes

GX 460 pricing trends

Potential Problem Areas

- Camshaft sub assembly gasket

- Coolant valley plate leak

- Spark plug tube seals

- Timing cover oil leak

- Transfer case leak

- Rust

- Water pump leak

OBD Fusion/Link can scan most vehicle ECUs and is almost like portable Techstream. / perform your own scan of vehicle for issues. Check to see when codes were last reset as well. Seller could be hiding issues if codes were recently reset.

Check to make sure the coolant recovery tank has pink coolant in it. If empty this could indicate leak.

Have these service campaigns been addressed?

2010-2013 Special Service Campaign for Air Injection Pumps and Air Switching Valves

2010-2017 Takata airbag recall info ('10- to early '17 models)

2010-2018 Data Communications Module Campaign

2014-2015 & 2018-2019 Fuel Pump Recall

460 Price Trends

=======================

Identifying vehicles with Driving Support Package (2014-2019) or 2010-2013 variations of that package.

How to identify a 2010-2013 Premium or 2014-2021 Luxury Model? (Post #23)

Identify Mark Levinson (Post #32)

Make sure vehicle will go into 4L. Place vehicle in neutral before doing this.

Make sure Center Differential Lock (CDL) will engage and disengage. You usually need to move some to engage/disengage.

I put together those links that jeffmcutter posted... not pretty but really not much informational cohesion on 460s when I purchased mine 4 years ago.

What is important to you in vehicle? Are there electronic mods you would like to do yourself? That may steer a direction.

Basic stereo or want a Mark Levinson? Nuluxe (imitation leather), leather, or Semi-aniline leather?

Is it cold or hot where you plan to utilize? There are heating & cooling options that might come into play.

You can do view only on Facebook without signing up to GXOR

I’ll be all over the place in regards to weather so having something that does well for both hot and cold is always a plus. I do plan to do a 2-3 in lift but nothing too crazy, along with bumper, winch, roof rack, etc....whatever to make life easier for when I’m off-road. I do a lot of outdoor stuff so having a rig for it is a necessity.

For electronics, I'm planning to do everything myself. I’d like to have a secondary battery, lights, amateur radio once I get my license, and maybe solar.

I plan to keep it for the long haul so going to build it exactly how I want. I want to keep the third row seats so my kids can bring friends along but they won’t be used on a regular basis.

Got my wife’s NX and my 125k mi one owner grocery getter 2011 GX at parker lexus in little rock, last fall. Ask for Rick Right in sales. My family has used him for over 20 years. If you see something in their inventory you like, he will put sale pending on it. Make sure you get the credit union if you dont pay cash. Heads up... 5/3rd bank is their go to lender for 10 year old cars.

Having it shipped to the Lexus in Baltimore is an option.

btw, get good condition rocker panels from a salvaged predo while in europe, to replace the GX running boards. Ship them stateside with your household items (free shipping).

Justin

Last edited:
You really can't go wrong with any year, trim or options. There are a few engine issues to keep an eye out while shopping and listed in threads above.

Other than door lock actuators (cheap to fix) most electronics on these rigs are fairly bullet-proof....

You can put a lift on a model with adjustable shocks & rear bags...just a few extra steps.

Hello all,
John here and at the tail end of my Air Force career. I’m currently stationed in Germany but have an assignment to Little Rock, Arkansas next for my final base. I’ve owned a few Toyotas before I moved to Germany ( ‘00 4Runner, 03 Tundra, 07 FJ) and my plan is to pick up a GX 460 when I land in Baltimore at the end of June to road trip down to Arkansas. Right now I have an 04 Mercedes E240 wagon which has been a lot of fun here and does the job for transportation but I definitely miss being able to drive and play in the dirt.
I’m still trying to figure what is what in the GX world and am thinking something between 2013-2016. Is there anything I should be looking for with options that are must have or is there anything that the 2013 is missing from a newer model? I will be using it for my daily driver as well as road trips and overlanding. I’m also a huge mountain biker so will be using it for that too. I look forward to learning and hopefully able to pass some of my knowledge on to others as well. Thanks!!
Hey John also a newbie, and also in Germany until July then returning to Virginia. Sold my 06 Sequoia on my way here and now need a replacement! Not military, im on an expat gig near Stuttgart.

Hey John also a newbie, and also in Germany until July then returning to Virginia. Sold my 06 Sequoia on my way here and now need a replacement! Not military, im on an expat gig near Stuttgart.
Nice! How have you liked Germany? I love being in Europe but ready
Oops, hit the wrong button 😂. I am ready to be close to family. I haven’t seen my kids in 4 years so I am more than ready. They live in Tulsa which is only 4 hour drive from Little Rock...the one and only reason why I wanted to go there. I’m originally from north of Seattle so Arkansas will be a bit different for me, lol.

Europe was great for about 2.5 years and then has been a real buzz kill since the lockdowns started in the Fall. That pretty much broke my wife and now the kids are also ready to get out of here. 3 years was going to be enough either way, but the lockdowns have really killed it for me. We miss the family and we still have a house in VA that we are ready to get back to. We will definitely miss the travel, it has been great being in the middle of the EU, driving to Italy and France, trains all over! We packed in as much as we could in the time we have been here. It was the main driver with me taking my assignment and it stinks we likely wont get any more trips in before we leave in June but eager to get back to VA. Parents are getting older too so we want to get to spend more time with them also.

Europe was great for about 2.5 years and then has been a real buzz kill since the lockdowns started in the Fall. That pretty much broke my wife and now the kids are also ready to get out of here. 3 years was going to be enough either way, but the lockdowns have really killed it for me. We miss the family and we still have a house in VA that we are ready to get back to. We will definitely miss the travel, it has been great being in the middle of the EU, driving to Italy and France, trains all over! We packed in as much as we could in the time we have been here. It was the main driver with me taking my assignment and it stinks we likely wont get any more trips in before we leave in June but eager to get back to VA. Parents are getting older too so we want to get to spend more time with them also.
I definitely hear you there. Will be leaving end of June to Baltimore, then spending a couple weeks on the east coast before heading down to Arkansas. It may not be my first pick on location, but it will be cool to explore the southern part of the US. I used to live in Oklahoma but didn’t do much traveling when there. The majority of my family is still up in Washington state, but definitely closer than being in Germany. Wish I would have thought about getting a 96 or older rig I could take back with but didn’t think about it until it was too late. Oh well....I’m sure if I really wanted something I could get a friend that’s still here to help with getting it shipped.

I definitely hear you there. Will be leaving end of June to Baltimore, then spending a couple weeks on the east coast before heading down to Arkansas. It may not be my first pick on location, but it will be cool to explore the southern part of the US. I used to live in Oklahoma but didn’t do much traveling when there. The majority of my family is still up in Washington state, but definitely closer than being in Germany. Wish I would have thought about getting a 96 or older rig I could take back with but didn’t think about it until it was too late. Oh well....I’m sure if I really wanted something I could get a friend that’s still here to help with getting it shipped.
I thought about that when we first got here, but I think with the shipping and the emissions retrofit it quickly became cost negative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom