New front seat covers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.george4wd.taskled.com
I've had SOR covers on the driver/passenger side for a bunch of years. The second set has started to shred (driver's side) due to my wife having to slide out to get to the ground.

So, figured I'd give a different brand a try. These from seatcoversunlimited. They took a couple of months to come, custom cut and I selected their charcoal coloured material (good match to the grey leather) and also went with canvas-cordura fabric. About $180 delivered. Didn't go for the headrest covers since the SOR ones are good enough.

Picture of passenger side complete, driver's side is still the old SOR and you can see the wear on the far side bolster.

ps_done.jpg

Quite a good and tight fit. The fabric has a foam like liner that adds some extra padding/stiffness to the material. The fabric is quite thick and hopefully should last many years.

To install the covers is a little trickier than the SOR where the headrest posts go. On the SOR they just had big hemmed holes. On the new ones there are no holes and they expect you to cut a hole to tuck under the plastic trim/latch of the headrest. Now, there's probably a thread somewhere on mud but... Anyhow, the big question was, how do you get those plastic bits off. I did a bit of google searching and found a picture of a 4runner part and it looked very similar to the 80's. So, I could see the 2 tabs that need to be released, BUT, they are inside the seat. Hmm....

Ok, bit of looking at the seat back and it appears (never noticed before) that the back is a separate piece. Bit of prying and I released the top 2 clips. Then noticed the bottom was still retained, 2 screws to release, and it's off. Of course now I know better and realize you only need to remove the bottom 2 screws, slide down and it unclips, easy.

screws1.jpg

With the back cover removed, you can see what it looks like from the back. The 2 spring clips at the top that latch into the back of the seat assembly and the two tabs that the 2 screws retain.

backcover.jpg

The screws are phillips (or JIS most likely) and are relatively short. Pic of what they look like:

screws2.jpg

And now a picture of the back seat guts with the back cover removed:

pass_seat.jpg

So, getting there now :) The next step was to get to the tabs of the 2 plastic doodads to be able to pull them up and out of the seat. Here's a picture (phone shoved up to see into the top gap of the seat:

clip_inside.jpg

You can see the 2 halves of the clip that need to be pressed towards the middle to allow the doodad to be pull up from the top. Fairly tight area to get your fingers/hand in to release. I used a flat head screwdriver from the top to try an extract the doodad and then pressed one clip side and then the other. Out the doodad came.

Pictures of the two doodads, one has the lock/release mechansim to allows the headrest to be adjusted up/down:

head_clip.jpg

head_clip_latch.jpg

You can see the ledge at the bottom of the doodad that will capture it into the seat headrest tubes and the tabs on each side that need to be pressed towards the center to release the ledges.

Picture of the two holes in the top of the seat - they are metal tubes that the plastic doodads slide and clip into:

holes.jpg

Ok, so now it's easy to just slip covers on and tie/velcro straps etc. Then the plastic doodads can be pressed down firmly to re-latch and give a nice clean finish with the seat covers in place.

Here's a picture of the inside back of the driver's seat so you can see the extra mechanisms for lumbar etc:

ds_back.jpg

Better picture of the two tabs that the back seat cover screws into:

screw_tabs.jpg

And you can see that the screwdriver would need to be angled up to properly align with the screw heads.

Picture of the installed passenger side seat cover from the back. Has a reasonably sized pocket for stuff:

ps_done_back.jpg

cheers,
george.

Very informative brother. Great information.

Do you think those covers would make a suitable replacement for leather? Meaning, if I removed the leather all together and put those covers on top of the foam, do you think it would hold up? My problem is that my leather is rock hard (in addition to shredded apart at the seams). Looking for a solution that doesn't cost a fortune or require extensive fabrication.

@Heckraiser You could give it a shot, but as these are "slip-on" covers, I think some of the structure of the seat would be lost if you completely removed the leather and then tried to install these (the parts that clip onto various springs and metal bits within the seat). I could be wrong though, I've never had a seat completely apart.
@george_tlc Agreed, nice work. I'm running the Marathon seat covers right now (very very similar to the SOR), but your new ones seem like an attractive option. Keep us updated as you log some miles.

Looked at their site and they don't have a dark brown brown but I think the charcoal above might be close enough to the darker outside trim of the 40th seats. I might give this a whirl.

I like that these essentially match the seam lines on the OEM leather. Nice detail.

George - Would like to see the driver side controls cut out. When ordering on the site it asks about a "lumbar knob" which I assume is no, so wanted to see if they made the proper sized cut out for the lumbar switch on the driver's side.

^ I'll grab some pictures of the driver's side from a few angles. There's a cutout (round) for the knob (since I have that on my 80) and also a larger cutout for the seat controls and extra control button of the driver's side. The hole is basically like the SOR covers and you can see the knob and where the hole goes in the 1st picture of this thread.

@Heckraiser I think the leather is important to hold the foam and structure of the seat together. I doubt any seat 'cover' would be able to do that job.

cheers,
george.

A very nice tutorial and good information, George.

George - Would like to see the driver side controls cut out. When ordering on the site it asks about a "lumbar knob" which I assume is no, so wanted to see if they made the proper sized cut out for the lumbar switch on the driver's side.

Here's the driver's side control panel cutout:

ds_controls.jpg

cheers,
george.

So you definitely ordered canvas-cordura, right? Their website shows the material as having weird vertical creases...

I'm getting ready to order:

Toyota Land Cruiser (1997) (Front)
Canvas-Cordura - Tan (Tailor Made)

^ yep. Here's cut/paste from my order:

Toyota Land Cruiser (1997) FR - Low Backs with heads
with electric and lumbar(Leather Only) (Front)
Canvas-Cordura - Charcoal (Tailor Made : S-3350TMA)

Map Pocket (single) (full custom/tailor made only) ($0)

20% fabric discount.

cheers,
george.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom