New 2001 LX 470 :) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yesterday I took a risk on a 2001 lx 470 with 155k that service wise was pretty good. Timing belt done at 110k per lexus records along with frequent service records over the period of the only owner who had it. Drove 2 hours to go see it and was pretty excited. Pretty dirty outside with a couple dings but nothing too bad. Looked under the truck and the frame is in really good shape so I was happy about that. Tires needed replacing but I had an extra set of 16's luckily. Inside was somewhat dirty but overlooking that aspect, leather seats in pretty good shape considering it's a 15 year old car. No tears, just very mild cracking. I thought once this gets detailed it'll be great!

So i get ready to test drive and immediately it wouldn't start, sounded like a dead battery. Not a good start....jumped it and started. Once I'm about to drive I notice the brake light on dashboard was on even when the embrace wasn't engaged. Couple minutes in I notice the VSC trac and VSC off lights were on but no check engine light. Driving it though, engine was smooth as well as transmission but in my mind I was worried about the lights hoping it wasnt something major. I parked it somewhere trying to play with the buttons to see if those would rectify the lights but no mas. Height control worked but light indicators weren't working so wasn't sure what was up with that. Speedometer also wasn't smooth, sorta like ticked instead of a smooth motion. The telescopic motor also didn't seem to work however the tilt did. So considering all these issues I was really on the fence. Negotiated price a little bit and expressed my concerns but they couldn't go too much further down as they were near there break even and I believe it as it'd had gone though a couple price drops and it'd been there for 2 months or so. Reluctantly I said what the heck, and purchased it for $8850 which would be a great price should no major repairs were needed. Nada guides had it around $12k.

Drove it home with all the lights on, but it drove exceptionally well. Speedometer seemed to be on and off with the ticking vs being somewhat smooth but overall the drive went well but still was worried about the lights and how much it would cost. Got home and went to the shop to mount my new tires and that in itself made it look better. Made an apt at the Lexus dealership later that night and lost a lil sleep thinking about the lights. Woke up this morning and went to the dealership expecting the worse. After the first hour of diagnostics, which they quoted $145, they said there could be pretty major problems since the center differential lock wasn't engaging. I was starting to get sick to my stomach but played it cool and they said they'd need another hour to keep diagnosing. After about 45 minutes they come get me and said everything is good! Turned out there was an open in the circuitry and once they connected it, bam all the lights turned off and all indicators started to work. To top if off they said they'd only charge me that one hour of diagnostics. They confirmed I got a gem and everything else looks pretty great mechanically and serviced well by the one and only owner besides me. I did forget to ask about the speedometer and there's a couple lights on dashboard that needs replacing but I'm super stoked about the news today. Now I could get to the fun stuff!

I also had a question to anyone that would know this. There's a piece right under the grill that is broken in half so I want to replace it. I believe I got the right part number for it.

http://www.lexuspartsnow.com/Page_Product/PartsSearch.aspx?PartNumber=52511-60900-J0

However there's another piece listed here that looks like it but is $20 less.

http://www.lexuspartsnow.com/Page_Product/PartsSearch.aspx?PartNumber=52511-60901-J0

What would be the difference in these? The first says it fits 98-2002 and the second says it fits 03+. Think I could get the second one and fit?

Also would anyone know what the speedometer problem would be?

I did buy a new oem telescopic motor off eBay for $150 brand new and saw the thread here on how to replace. Hopefully that was all that is needed.

I've got a lot of reading to do and am stoked to be a new member!

I got around to installing the new oem telescopic motor and everything works perfect! It was annoying driving while the steering wheel was put in. So to answer my question above, does anyone know if the front grill/bumper parts are different from 98-02 than 03-07? For some reason the there are two different part numbers for each revision. Should I trust that or think I could save $20 and get the filler for the 03-07 and fit my 01?

Also i posted this on the Wanted section but if anyone has a rear wind deflector they want to let go, please let me know. Mine is broke, and if it wasn't going to leave holes on the top, i probably would just take it off.

Will be posting more pics later but here is the broken filler part underneath the grill. The center piece.

IMG_0035.JPG

Thanks!

I've still got a couple things to tackle: taking off running boards, putting a double din radio, backup cam, re-foaming the subwoofer as it sounds blown.

Guessing nobody can answer the questions above regarding parts eh? :)

:flipoff2:Welcome:flipoff2: Nice score.

As for as your filler panel. It will buff out.

Last edited:
Got a couple things done! Took off the running boards, refoamed subwoofer, painted my mud flaps and added a chrome tip. If anyone is interested in the chrome tip, here is the part number: PTS18-60050. Really easy to install too and pretty cheap.

Upcoming immediate things: Mounting my SCS F5 wheels (coming in on Tuesday), replace driver side headlight (coming in on Monday), and replacing the center filler piece (I have this in hand, waiting to get it painted and will install same day I do the driver headlight).

Upcoming future things: Deciding on either Slee AHC bypass or AHC sensor lift, ARB combo front bumper, Frontrunner Rack.

IMG_0071.JPG

IMG_0073.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom