Neutral safety switch removal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve searched the forum and can’t seem to find any info on removing and replacing the neutral safety switch...
I have a 96 and have traced my intermittent no-start to the NSS.
Yes, I’ve checked the connections in the plug and the plug itself. Both are good.
Using a test light with a helper in the cab turning the key, it shown that the NSS is not passing a start voltage to the solenoid.
I’ve had everything loose during the diag process but cannot seem to get it off of the trans.
Is there a circlip, or snap ring that I could be missing somewhere?
Thanks for the help in advance!

NSS.JPG

Not sure if it is the same as a 91 af442. I broke a perfectly serviceable NSS because I tried to pry it off vs break I free with a few taps. There are 2 bolts and then it should slide right off the trans output shaft. Mine was frozen on. I should have spent some time tapping the aluminum barrel that slides over the output shaft.

Here are some picks. There is a nut that once loosened on the barrel the barrel is free to slide off. My was frozen. Once the switch book apart I tapped the barrel a few light taps and it slid off.

$200 mistake.

20201212_213930.jpg

20201212_213922.jpg

I also suggest checking your harness side plug! After switching mine out it still had start problems and after further inspection the wiring inside the plug on the harness side was all corroded out and 2 wires weren't even connected

a little heat can help if the switch is corroded onto the shaft, and light hits with a hammer on the shaft to help break it free. if the edgeds start to get peened over take a file and smooth out the rolled edges as the switch is a tight fit and can get hung up on the peened edges

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom