Need to install In cab winch controller (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RFB

97 FZJ80 LIFTED SC DUAL BATTERIES,37s
Threads
Website
www.youtube.com
Ive never wired an in cab on/off and Ive made it a point to use toyota only switches in my truck and I have 8 total. what type of switch can I use? and I over thinking it? is it just a standard switch? The winch has its own pos and neg straight to the battery. its a red winch and uses an air brake that piped seperatly from copresor. (just saying)

While I've not done it, Slee has a switch and wiring diagrams on his site if you haven't already looked into that possibility.

Reactions: RFB
Ive never wired an in cab on/off and Ive made it a point to use toyota only switches in my truck and I have 8 total. what type of switch can I use? and I over thinking it? is it just a standard switch? The winch has its own pos and neg straight to the battery. its a red winch and uses an air brake that piped seperatly from copresor. (just saying)
Are you trying to wire an on off switch for the winch or a switch to operate the winch, they are different. If you want to operate it you should have both so nobody accidentally hits the switch. You need on/off//on to operate it.

Yes, a spring loaded on-off-on, with default off. And maybe a separate covered power switch as well to avoid triggering it accidentally. I'm thinking one of the antenna switches can work and there may be others.

Reactions: RFB
This is what i did. you need a momentary on/off/on switch, safety on/off, and i would suggest an LED light when safety switch is on. I used an insulated wire with 3 separate wires in it. Inside the winch control box tap into the constant 12v for the power and the winch in and winch out circuits. If you have a newer winch with the sealed solenoid there should be three spade connectors on the front of it for the 2 will be winch in/out curcuits. If its an older style with the 4 solenoids you could tap into at the correct solenoid. Mine was an old Warn M8000 with the 4 separate, i converted to the new sealed while i was wiring the switches. I also made all new cables using 2g welding wire, i highly recommend this if you have an older winch or cables with any sign of corrosion. Run the 3 wires back to your switches. the constant 12v goes to the safety switch off position, on position goes to the winch in/out switch +12v and led bulb. the other 2 wires go to the winch in/out switch in their relative places. tie all your grounds together and go to good ground spot.
IMG_7188.JPG

Last edited:
Are you trying to wire an on off switch for the winch or a switch to operate the winch, they are different. If you want to operate it you should have both so nobody accidentally hits the switch. You need on/off//on to operate it.
Heres the deal RED WINCHEs have a red light on side of control box, so when powered like every other winch POS NEG to battery its ALWAYon, I had to wire up a totally seperate LODAR wireless to control the winch, because I ordered it before they were in production I didnt have ability to order it with all options LIKE A WINCH CONTROLLER So I wired that up and red power still stays on. I hit up RED again they said "Oh most people usually wire in an ALBRIGHT solenoid to a DPDT switch, I dont want and dont have room for ANOTHER control under the hood, and ALSO another point of failure, at that point RED WINCH stopped emailig me back. So as it stands now winch is running fine, red light is glowing away pointing anyone that may not otherwise notice the winch to STEAL ME I may pull control box and remove light. but with AIR BRAKE wireless controller my recovery is now reliant on several factors that I neve had to be concerned about before, AND I get it red light in winching competitions is good, lets you know winch is powered, but it does not let you know if air brake is on or OFF So know this before you order one. I was never told.

This is what i did. you need a momentary on/off/on switch, safety on/off, and i would suggest an LED light when safety switch is on. I used an insulated wire with 3 separate wires in it. Inside the winch control box tap into the constant 12v for the power and the winch in and winch out circuits. If you have a newer winch with the sealed solenoid there should be three spade connectors on the front of it for the 2 will be winch in/out curcuits. If its an older style with the 4 solenoids you could tap into at the correct solenoid. Mine was an old Warn M8000 with the 4 separate, i converted to the new sealed while i was wiring the switches. I also made all new cables using 2g welding wire, i highly recommend this if you have an older winch or cables with any sign of corrosion. Run the 3 wires back to your switches. the constant 12v goes to the safety switch off position, on position goes to the winch in/out switch +12v and led bulb. the other 2 wires go to the winch in/out switch in their relative places. tie all your grounds together and go to good ground spot.View attachment 2033825
what size wires were in insulated wire? are we talking small like phone wire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom