Need some help with caster bushings (Colorado Springs) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just received my dobinson's lift. I don't have a press needed for the caster bushings. Is there anyone local in the springs that can help or can recommend a shop?

'Import Auto' has done a lot of the suspension work on my '88 FJ62'. Family owned, and great people/service.
2265 La Montana Way Colorado Springs, CO 80918
(719) 260-0992
This is near Academy and Vickers.

Caster bushings suck on every level and dont provice the caster required anyway, go straight to plates. Do it right and do it once.

Caster bushings suck on every level and dont provice the caster required anyway, go straight to plates. Do it right and do it once.

The guy I spoke to at Dobinsons told me I didn’t need plates unless I went closer to 5” of lift.

I pressed in a set for hossierdaddy a few years back. They weren’t that bad. He had some cups from someone that made it easier. The cups were completely destroyed when we were done. He also made a jig, to make sure that the holes were in the right place. I’ve got a Harbor Freight 20 tin press, and lots of accessories. I’d be happy to help. I’m up in Woodland Park, if it’s worth the drive. -Luke.

Last edited:

They're fine for shorter lifts - I've had them on my 2" for years.

They're fine for shorter lifts - I've had them on my 2" for years.

He didn't get a short lift. The 3"tapered dobinson coils will net him closer to 4” .

Caster spec for an 80 series is 2°-4° and the driving difference between 2° and 4° is Day & Night.

Friends dont let friends use caster bushing period!

I like the guys that say I have caster bushing and my 80 drive good only because they know no difference. :rolleyes:

Caster spec for an 80 series is 2°-4° and the driving difference between 2° and 4° is Day & Night.

Friends dont let friends use caster bushing period!

I like the guys that say I have caster bushing and my 80 drive good only because they know no difference. :rolleyes:

:meh: I drove it about 30K miles before I lifted it, and 120K miles after.

Major improvement the day I removed the poly caster bushings , replaced them all with new rubber OEM bushings, and went caster plates.

Unlike most " i think I feel something" upgrades, the difference plastered a smile on my face for a long time every time I drove it with the smooth ride and stable steering.

I pressed in a set for hossierdaddy a few years back. They weren’t that bad. He had some cups from someone that made it easier. The cups were completely destroyed when we were done. He also made a jig, to make sure that the holes were in the right place. I’ve got a Harbor Freight 20 tin press, and lots of accessories. I’d be happy to help. I’m up in Woodland Park, if it’s worth the drive. You can hit me up at 719/ 290- 9862. -Luke.

Luke, you have an incredibly good memory! You remember that better than I do.

I don't remember if you helped me install the first set or the second set, but I do know that I went through two sets of caster bushings because the first set developed tears in the rubber. So that's one more reason why plates may be a better idea.

Luke, you have an incredibly good memory! You remember that better than I do.

I don't remember if you helped me install the first set or the second set, but I do know that I went through two sets of caster bushings because the first set developed tears in the rubber. So that's one more reason why plates may be a better idea.

You didn’t see how long it took me struggling to remember your ‘Mud name. Lol.
I’m thinking it was the first set, because I remember us both reading directions and trying to figure things out. Seems like a second set would have been a little easier.

Yeah, I recall doing the second set now -used the leftover mangled cup from the first set and a BFH. The first set was rubber and the second was poly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom