Need some help deciding on my next wheels. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is this coming down from Laurel Lakes?

edit, maybe not, those boulders look suspiciously like East San Diego.
Santa Rosa Wilderness

4Runner steel spare wheels are same size as the FJCruiser wheels, but are a tad stronger and cheaper(<$100each)

Is it because of the steel thickness? For example Toyota used to have two completely identical standard silver steel wheels for the Tundra but they had different part numbers (42601-0C030 & 42601-0C050) The 42601-0C050 was just thicker gauge steel, heavier, and had a hole to bolt down the center cap instead of just snapping on. It was for export market only also.

Also the 42601-0C060 is the same wheel as 42601-0C030 but is painted black as spare....but anyways....back to the topic...

I see that the 4 runner 17" spare is 42611-35430 and the FJ spare is 42611-35330 and both are 17X7.5 (15mm offset, 4.5 BS) but I don't know anything about the structure of these two wheels without seeing the more detailed specs.

Last edited:
Ugh, I can't get to it today, but I believe the 4Runner steel is actually the same thickness as the FJCruiser wheel. However, the "hat section" of the disk is a little taller. Everything else is identical, but changing the shape of the disc a little adds enough strength to make up for the difference in GAWR(Fr and Rr). Since the 4Runner has higher GAWRs, the wheel has to be a little stronger.

Yes, it would seem weird to develop a different wheel for FJC, but, you know, mass savings or something...(the actual mass difference in wheels isn't much). Both wheels share the same rim, just a different stamping for the disc.

Also, in regards to size, both vehicles are the same platform and share a LOT of common parts, so it makes sense that the actual size is the same on both.

TLDNR: 4Runner is a heavier vehicle with more payload capacity than FJC and therefore has a stronger wheel.

That makes sense and having access to the more detailed specs would confirm all of that for sure. I would be very interested in learning the answer once you confirm.

Also would be curious why these two wheels are in the 42611 group instead of 42601 group.

stock look nice imo... I look at it like this, the bigger the rim the more expensive the tire. not sure why it works out like that it just does. for the same size and same tire on a 16" and 17" the 17 will cost more.

Save a tree and a whale at the same time by going with FORGED aluminum wheels . . .that came with the trucks! 16" wheel = more air in the same diameter tire!

Get some crapped out LX or FZJ 80 wheels, media blast for $100 and clear coat them and rock on!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom