need opinions

Spring Loaded? Looks like I was misinformed, my visual scan of the belt looked like it was 'adjustable' by wrench only, just like all my prior vehicles. I'd also swear I read somewhere it needed manual adjustments. But, here are a couple FJ Forum posts that show it's spring loaded.

Serpentine Belt Replacement - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Serpentine belt replacement...

And consesnus is the belt stretches and starts making noise after 60k miles. Second post says it's a 10 minute job for one person (plus R&R of skid plate).

Last edited:
while i probably could do it my self i have a track record of making it worse so im more comfortable giving it to someone who does this stuff all the time

One of the stories tells of a shop installing the belt wrong and shredding it; and the pain involved of unwrapping all the stray stranding from around the shafts. lol

BMThiker

I aim to misbehave
SILVER Star

I messed up a belt install once, the grooves were off by one and it shredded after about 20 miles. The strands in the belt got tangled up in my steering pump. Big mess. Just make sure it's seated properly on all pulleys. The tension is automatic from the spring tensioner.

Ok so after having all 3 idler pullies and the whole belt tensioner set up replaced the noise is still there.

Its doing ny head in. To loud and slow for injector noise but to quiet for bottom end.

Nothing out of the ordinary, its always close to 1200km (our 14-16 models came with 158l tanks)

We sold one here at the dealer a few months ago that had similar noise but more pronounced, like a sharp tap.

Top Bottom