need opinions

Discussion in 'FJ Cruiser' started by stellz996, May 31, 2018.

1. fjc-man

fjc-man

Media:
    I believe it’s just a spring loaded belt tensioner like the earlier ( 07-09) 4.0 liter v-6. It’s not rocket science.

2. GWcruiser

GWcruiser

Media:
    Albums:
    Spring Loaded? Looks like I was misinformed, my visual scan of the belt looked like it was 'adjustable' by wrench only, just like all my prior vehicles. I'd also swear I read somewhere it needed manual adjustments. But, here are a couple FJ Forum posts that show it's spring loaded.

Serpentine Belt Replacement - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
    Serpentine belt replacement...

And consesnus is the belt stretches and starts making noise after 60k miles. Second post says it's a 10 minute job for one person (plus R&R of skid plate).

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  3. stellz996

stellz996

while i probably could do it my self i have a track record of making it worse so im more comfortable giving it to someone who does this stuff all the time

4. GWcruiser

GWcruiser

Media:
    Albums:
    One of the stories tells of a shop installing the belt wrong and shredding it; and the pain involved of unwrapping all the stray stranding from around the shafts. lol

5. BMThiker

BMThiker I aim to misbehave Moderator SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I messed up a belt install once, the grooves were off by one and it shredded after about 20 miles. The strands in the belt got tangled up in my steering pump. Big mess. Just make sure it's seated properly on all pulleys. The tension is automatic from the spring tensioner.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.