Need new tires... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an 06 tacoma (not the TRD model) that Im SUPPOSED to be keeping "stock"...
However, I bottom out going over speed bumps, I need new tires and hate the stock rims....You know how it goes.
It is my DD, but I do some mild off road with it, and wouldnt mind using it a bit more for light duty wheelin/ expedition type stuff where my crusier is essentially OVERKILL.
Dont wanna go HUGE, dont wanna change the diffs (I think theyre 3.73).
Anyone have anything LIKE this that theyve done and can recommend?
Thinking the 265/ 75 R 16 tire size.
Would this be "do- able" with a front leveler block, or would I actaully need to do the 3 in lift for this?
Anyone have a 3 in lift theyre using that they like?

Thanks in advance!

Here's a pic of my lil truck!:D

Chicago
surfnturf08 015.jpg

Seriously...No one has got ANYTHING on this they can add?:confused:

Chicago

I don't have a Taco so I don't know but hey I'm always willing to offer a comment since you wanted some sort of feedback :D

I peeled the 265/70R16's off my 05 Tundra and put on LT235/85R16's. overall diameter change of 30.7 inches to 32 inches. Mine rub when stuffed in the wheelwell.
By looking at the new Taco online dealer wheel options P245/75R16(30.4"od) seem stock and the TRD option is a P265/70R16(30.7"od) A P265/75R16 puts you into an od of 31.6".
These dimensions are based on the published tire specs for the Michelins I use but whatever you are considering you had better look at that particular brand and P/LT passenger/light truck rated specs and compare that to the Dunlops or whatever is on your Tacoma. I would take your Taco out to somewhere you can stuff a front tire and turn it being careful to measure what clearance you have now and see how much room you have to upsize the overall diameter and the section width from your existing tires.
just my 2 cents

hey chicago my truck came stock w/ 265s i run 285s now w/ a 3inch lift and it doesn't rub. i built up some ome springs (880s) w/ 5100 bilsteins. as for tires i use bfg/at. i would recommend bridgestone dueler a/t revos for the best ride/performance. as for the back i have some downey shackles w/ deaver springs and 5100s hope this helps.

Last edited:
Hell yeah...
I knew this section wasnt DEAD!:D
They do sell "kits" that are rather inexpensive...
Rear aal's with a block for the front coils that give around 3 in of lift and it only cost in the 3-400 dollar range. I could easily do it myself in virtually no time.
Im finding that the 265 tires are actually MORE expensive than the 31's. Supply and demand I suppose.

Thanks for the input gents!

:beer:

Chicago

I don't have a Taco so I don't know but hey I'm always willing to offer a comment since you wanted some sort of feedback :D

I peeled the 265/70R16's off my 05 Tundra and put on LT235/85R16's. overall diameter change of 30.7 inches to 32 inches. Mine rub when stuffed in the wheelwell.
By looking at the new Taco online dealer wheel options P245/75R16(30.4"od) seem stock and the TRD option is a P265/70R16(30.7"od) A P265/75R16 puts you into an od of 31.6".
These dimensions are based on the published tire specs for the Michelins I use but whatever you are considering you had better look at that particular brand and P/LT passenger/light truck rated specs and compare that to the Dunlops or whatever is on your Tacoma. I would take your Taco out to somewhere you can stuff a front tire and turn it being careful to measure what clearance you have now and see how much room you have to upsize the overall diameter and the section width from your existing tires.
just my 2 cents

OOOOH...Ive got PLACES that I CAN DO the STUFF!:hillbilly::steer:

Thanks for the input D!

Chicago

Mine is currently on stock suspension and I'm running 235/85/16 BFG KO's. Great tire.

That said, that's the the reason why you're bottoming out. You need to look into your suspension components if you bottom out a lot. Are you carrying a heavy load?

Mine is currently on stock suspension and I'm running 235/85/16 BFG KO's. Great tire.

That said, that's the the reason why you're bottoming out. You need to look into your suspension components if you bottom out a lot. Are you carrying a heavy load?

NOPE...
The heaviest load that Ive carried in that rig has been a vortec motor.
That is kind of why I was leaning toward a kit of some sort...to beef up the PUSS suspension. Its embarrassing!

Do you have any pics of your rig?

Thanks,

Chicago

NOPE...
The heaviest load that Ive carried in that rig has been a vortec motor.
That is kind of why I was leaning toward a kit of some sort...to beef up the PUSS suspension. Its embarrassing!

Do you have any pics of your rig?

Thanks,

Chicago

You must be going through those speed bumps a bit fast then? Well, like I said, you should look into a suspension upgrade. OME makes some good kits and has good prices. Check out TRDPARTS4U.

Here's a pic of my truck.

Tacoma23585jpg.jpg

I am at the same stage as you are w/your taco, I have an 07' dbbl cab w/ the sport pkg. There are various 3" lifts all w/the front spring spacer, and a selection of add/leafs, blocks, longer shackles for the rear. Generally speaking, I have found out that the 3" will let you run apprx 33" tires. Most of the lift kits are cheap, I've even seen the price below 300.00 in the off road mags. There is also Fat Boy Customs. The kits I've looked at are Revtek, Tuff Country, Fabtech, Skyjacker----they are all basically the same in $ just varies in how they lift the rear susp.

I am at the same stage as you are w/your taco, I have an 07' dbbl cab w/ the sport pkg. There are various 3" lifts all w/the front spring spacer, and a selection of add/leafs, blocks, longer shackles for the rear. Generally speaking, I have found out that the 3" will let you run apprx 33" tires. Most of the lift kits are cheap, I've even seen the price below 300.00 in the off road mags. There is also Fat Boy Customs. The kits I've looked at are Revtek, Tuff Country, Fabtech, Skyjacker----they are all basically the same in $ just varies in how they lift the rear susp.

Does yours bottom out over speed bumps too?
The 3 in lifts are what I was looking at. I subscribe to 4wheel and off road mag that is a good read in the "office" in the morning, and that is where Im getting some of these bright ideas.
Most of the others youve mentioned are a bit more than what I need in both function and price.
Actaully Les Schwab has the block/ aal set up for a pretty reasonable price as well.
Thanks for the input...that helps, especially since its basically the same vehicle!

Chicago

You must be going through those speed bumps a bit fast then? Well, like I said, you should look into a suspension upgrade. OME makes some good kits and has good prices. Check out TRDPARTS4U.

Here's a pic of my truck.

Tacoma23585jpg.jpg

HA HA!
I really dont take the bumps THAT fast. IMO, they just have poor clearance unlike the older body style you have.
Rig looks great BTW. I was looking for an 04, but...this 06 came along with 12K and a screamin price tag. I actually prefer that body style over mine...ahhh well!
Thanks for posting up the pic!

Ya nice rig CACKALAK.... I wanted one of those as well and yup Chicago they are more money almost than the new body style ...crazy how the old ones are keeping their price.

I'll try to reword my stuffing comment!:hillbilly::steer::lol: nice touch.. I ought to have known:rolleyes:

I'll try to reword my stuffing comment!:hillbilly::steer::lol: nice touch.. I ought to have known:rolleyes:[/quote]

He he...:lol:
I did actually mean that there are TONS of places a stones throw from my house that I can twist up on.:D

Chicago

Thanks for the compliments. Nothing special, really. :D I also need to get set up with an OME suspension. I really prefer the ride of the 2nd Gen Tacoma's, as they're butter smooth compared to mine. The grass always seems greener on the other side, I guess. :D I'm hoping the OME kit will make the ride better.

Oh, if you do end up going with an OME set up, don't get the rear shocks. I've heard from OME owners that they tend to blow in the back. Instead, get some Bilstein's. That's what I'm going to do. Might even do Bilsteins all around. The front's are height adjustable, too. Also, get greasable rear shackles/bushings.

Chicago, it is real simple when you're in the office, don't pop a vein in your forehead, and finish all the paperwork. I was quoted by a local "Tire Stupidstore" for a Truxxs lift and install for only 650.00. It is the standard front spacer and 1&1/2 inch blocks in the rear. Yea, their making about 400.oo for labor, but I don't have the stuff for the install. Also check out the web site and magzn suscription to/for nuthin' but toyotas. (www.4wdtoyotaowner.com) They only put out 6 mags a year, but worth every penny, considering how much I spend for all the other mags off the shelf.

Chicago, it is real simple when you're in the office, don't pop a vein in your forehead, and finish all the paperwork. I was quoted by a local "Tire Stupidstore" for a Truxxs lift and install for only 650.00. It is the standard front spacer and 1&1/2 inch blocks in the rear. Yea, their making about 400.oo for labor, but I don't have the stuff for the install. Also check out the web site and magzn suscription to/for nuthin' but toyotas. (www.4wdtoyotaowner.com) They only put out 6 mags a year, but worth every penny, considering how much I spend for all the other mags off the shelf.

I used to have a subscription with those guyz...I was a little pissed with them to not even bother to inform the customer that the subscription was expiring. Even TLCA does that.
If I were gonna do a minor lift, Id go with one that has an AAL in the rear. Im gonna dig around to find what tire size I really NEED/ want. This lull in the gas prices doesnt have me fooled. Its gonna jump back up again, and the 19-20 MPG around town Im getting in my taco is pretty nice. Dont wanna screw it up too much.

Chicago

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom