Need new cookware set for vehicle camping (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi folks. I've been using my backpack style compact cookware set for ages but now I do much more vehicle camping and would like a better cookset. The current one is the style that nestles together and fits into a nylon bag and I feel I need some larger pots/pans for cooking for small groups and not just myself.

It would still be nice to find one that packs down somewhat, doesn't have handles sticking out awkwardly, cleans up easy, etc. Any recommendations?

I was in your same shoes twenty years ago, and have found that for cooking for my family/friends on trips, car-camping, my cooking gear is now consists of a 12" cast iron skillet, 1 medium sized stock pot, 1 sauce pan and sometimes a cast iron griddle, depending on what we are planning to cook. My plastic plates and bowls can be nestled in the stock pot, shove a few dish towels in there and they are nice an snug. Check out a restaurant supply company, and you can get a decent set up for everything you need.

We live in our LandCruiser and we cook a lot on the road, so I did not skimp on cookware...

At first I got a pretty nice set from Snow Peak, but the truth is that their cookware is not meant for someone who wants good heavy homestyle pots and pans (in other words it's kinda flimsy) After about a year and a half we ditched the Snow Peak and got a Magma cookware set... Nice stuff, almost overkill, you could use this at home and ditch your home stuff. It is a fairly large and heavy set, but it is awesome.

Funny thing is that in the end I really miss my cast iron Lodge Logic Dutch oven...

Last edited:
We live in our LandCruiser and we cook a lot on the road, so I did not skimp on cookware...

At first I got a pretty nice set from Snow Peak, but the truth is that their cookware is not meant for someone who wants good heavy homestyle pots and pans (in other words it's kinda flimsy) After about a year and a half we ditched the Snow Peak and got a Magma cookware set... Nice stuff, almost overkill, you could use this at home and ditch your home stuff. It is a fairly large and heavy set, but it is awesome.

Funny thing is that in the end I really miss my cast iron Lodge Logic Dutch oven...
At least one good cast iron skillet should be in every camping cook kit. I also like a cast iron griddle, very versatile and easy to store.

I have one 8" Lodge cast iron skillet and 8" Dutch Oven in the chuckbox along with a few Paul Revereware stainless steel pots for boiling water for coffee, cooking soup, pasta side dishes ect.

I used this as the base of my camp cooking gear and expanded from there. Mine has a non-stick coating and I have considered looking for a heavier duty set up just out of preference not need:

s.gif

Cook Kit for 4

I have a set of pots/pans that were hand-me-downs from my parents. I think they were sold by sears, but they don't offer anything like them anymore. The largest pot is quite large 12" x 14" and there are smaller pots and a coffee pot that fits inside. i put sliverware inside the coffee pot. Lids double as fry pans, etc. I like the size of the set (the pots are larger than most of the camping stuff, but don't really like that the pots are uncoated aluminum.

I've tried finding something else from stainless. the closest I have come is some nesting sets made for boating such as: Amazon.com: Cuisinart Stowaway 8-Piece Stainless-Steel Cookware Set: Kitchen & Dining

I have a set of pots/pans that were hand-me-downs from my parents. I think they were sold by sears, but they don't offer anything like them anymore. The largest pot is quite large 12" x 14" and there are smaller pots and a coffee pot that fits inside. i put sliverware inside the coffee pot. Lids double as fry pans, etc. I like the size of the set (the pots are larger than most of the camping stuff, but don't really like that the pots are uncoated aluminum.

I've tried finding something else from stainless. the closest I have come is some nesting sets made for boating such as: Amazon.com: Cuisinart Stowaway 8-Piece Stainless-Steel Cookware Set: Kitchen & Dining

You should take a look at the Stansport set I linked in an earlier post. They are just as heavy as the regular Cuisinart pots and pans my sister has.

If weight is not an restraint, it is hard to beat a set of cast iron. You can get a set from Lodge that all fits together nicely in the included wooden box. Plus, clean up is a breeze, as you don't have to wash cast iron (or rather, you shouldn't)!

Sent from my EVO using IH8MUD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom