1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need new battery

Discussion in '95-older Toyota Truck Tech' started by Bear80, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Bear80

Bear80

I need some input for a new battery. My tried and true die hard gold has finally kicked the bucket. I've wanted an optima but not sure if I should go yellow or red top. A local TTORA guy told me his buddy had some problems with the yellow tops but never with the red. Or is there another brand I should look into?

2. KLF

KLF Frame waxer SILVER Star

I hear people rank on the Optimas, but I have had VERY good luck with my red tops. The one in my old '92 4Runner lasted 9 years, and the one in my truck now is almost 8 years old. It's actually an Optima with a big Interstate sticker on it.

[​IMG]

I know for a fact that it's been accidently drawn down to stone dead twice, and charged back up just fine, no problem.

I hope to add a second battery to my truck eventually, I'm currently thinking a yellow top in the front corner of the bed in a marine box. Not sure which management system I'll use.

I also hear very good things about the Orbitals that NAPA sells.

3. Bear80

Bear80

So that's a group 78 right? Does it fit well?

4. KLF

KLF Frame waxer SILVER Star

Uhhh... I honestly can't remember what model it is. The only downside of the Optima is that it is about an inch shorter than a standard battery. Depending on where you buy it, they may give you or sell you an adapter spacer that sits on top of it so it's the same size. I solved the problem by sticking a scrap piece of 5/4 PT decking under it, about 8" long. Perfect fit, battery never moves.

You may also have trouble getting the OEM battery cables to reach with this battery. There is an additional set of side posts, screw type like GM uses. But unless they've changed, these posts are not rated for as high of a current as the top posts are. I hate the OEM battery terminals anyway, and mine were all corroded anyway. I got my nice mil-spec terminals and covers from Wranger Power Products.

The stock ground wire is probably too short. But, after ths many years it's probably all corroded anyway. Get some new #4 cable and make new ones. Your starter will thank you.

5. tntoyota

tntoyota

I had an old "Champion" made by Optima, red in coulor 600? CCA.

Lasted at least 5-6 years been in 7+ 4x4's ahhh. used a wood fence slat 1"?
    for spacer

The battery finaly quit after countless years of dedicated survice

I plan to (put it in lucite?) like the old retired cops put there badges in?
    with all it's scar's, skrape's, mark's, the time it fell against the fan belt.......:crybaby:

I miss that little guy :crybaby:

Viewing will be held on March the 7th at.....................................

I still have the battery and have NO plans to disguard it

6. Bear80

Bear80

I went through this when I replaced the battery in my 80series. I was just shy of buying an Odyssey but the Die Hard International I chose was in the range of most deep cycles and 1/2 the price. Again looking for my truck the specs for the Die Hard SUV is hard to beat and for price. The SUV has a little more reserve than the Gold and I've always had good results with Die Hard. Also the Gold that I'm replacing died right at 7yrs of south Texas heat, and it's a 7yr batt. --just thought it kinda noteworthy.

7. big d 85 yota

big d 85 yota

the yellow top will work out better if you are running a winch or a big stereo system. it is a deepcyle and a starting battery. I've had one in my car for four years with three amps running off of it and no problems. i also have a red top in my pickup that has been great. no big draws running off of it though.

8. bigndn

bigndn

Media:
    Albums: