Need help with Hitch bolts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to put a draw tite hitch on my 97 Landcruiser. I purchased the hitch from a local guy and he supplied bolts which are not working out. Anybody point me in a direction i tried to contact draw tite?

Most likely, the bolts supplied are English, while you need a fine thread metric bolt to use the captive nuts in the top two holes. You can use whatever bolts and nuts you want for the lower two holes. Since I needed to buy the uppers, I just went with metric all around.

im having a hard time went to like 2 hardware stores and not making out very good any direction?

I think they are 12mmx1.25 pitch, but try them in the hole before leaving the store if it's a long way home. 12mm finethread, in any case.

Another thing to consider is where you will hook the safety chains? Most pintle hitches lack a way to do this on the hitch itself. The simplest method to provide this is to buy a "chain plate." It's a small piece of metal that is about a 1/4" thick that is sandwiched between the hitch and the bumper. You can get these at TNJ Murray and it's item #3 in this illustration:
http://www.tnjmurray.com/pictures/Figure_95.jpg

If you do go the chain plate route, then you may need a slightly longer bolt. I recall them being about 50mm long, but since my CRS is getting worse with age, YMMV.;)

sounds like he got a regular style class 2/3 2" receiver hitch , not a pintle style .
if so the bolts are the same tread and pitch as the bolts that hold on the stock tow hooks .

you can always pull on of those and take it with you to find some .

HTH some

Instead of going to a hardware store, try a Fastener store - they specialize in all fasteners, including nuts and bolts.

As previously stated, the most common is a 12mm fine thread. For the pintle on the read "bumper", it is a 12mm SUPERFINE... try sourcing THOSE. Went to 5 faster shops in Las Vegas - no joy. Finally found an industrial hardware store that had them in stock. Called McFadden Dale.
They have locations in other states as well.
McFadden-Dale Industrial Hardware | Las Vegas, NV | DexKnows.com™

The great thing was, they even stocked reverse thread lug nuts for my 1953 M101 trailer as well. I love that place.

Exactly what do u need to know? My hitch is off & I recently had the bumper end caps off so I know what it looks like inside the frame rails. Do u need me triple check the tread size? I'll be glad to climb under my LC. Just let me know if there is something u need verified.

Exactly what do u need to know? My hitch is off & I recently had the bumper end caps off so I know what it looks like inside the frame rails. Do u need me triple check the tread size? I'll be glad to climb under my LC. Just let me know if there is something u need verified.

i need to know what size bolts go into frame to mount a draw tite hitch.

i need to know what size bolts go into frame to mount a draw tite hitch.

Don't know much about draw tite hitch, but the frame hitch mount takes M12 1.25, IIRC.

I suggest you use class 10.9 bolts. You don't want to cheap out on weak fasteners for your hitch.

I just put a curt hitch on a 97 LX450. All the bolts that came with it worked - size mentioned in previous post. However the single bolt (on each side) farther under the truck was pretty rusty at the beginning of the threads. I took a file and shaved around the beginning of the new bolt. This allowed the bolt to go past the bad threads and reach good threads. The other 4 bolts where the pintle hooks worked just fine.

GT,

Just got my chain plate in like you mentioned.

Can you verify the 50mm length for the bolts using this plate and pintle? Need to get the bolts.....

Cheers!

Mike

I think they are 12mmx1.25 pitch, but try them in the hole before leaving the store if it's a long way home. 12mm finethread, in any case.

Another thing to consider is where you will hook the safety chains? Most pintle hitches lack a way to do this on the hitch itself. The simplest method to provide this is to buy a "chain plate." It's a small piece of metal that is about a 1/4" thick that is sandwiched between the hitch and the bumper. You can get these at TNJ Murray and it's item #3 in this illustration:
http://www.tnjmurray.com/pictures/Figure_95.jpg

If you do go the chain plate route, then you may need a slightly longer bolt. I recall them being about 50mm long, but since my CRS is getting worse with age, YMMV.;)

DA MN

Good point on the existing welded bolts being rusty. When I went to put my receiver hitch on my 100 series I had to hanker down on one of them and the weld broke off inside the frame.

Luckily it was not too far in from the end and I was able to get in with a threaded plate to screw into.

FYI, the factory hitch bolts are not 1.25 pitch. They are a M12 super fine thread of 1.75 IIRC, and not easy to find. I went to 4 fastener shops that did not have them until I found an industrial hardware shop. I have a source for them here in Las Vegas. 50MM should be just fine.

Try Fastenal, they sell to the public, but are for industry.

Home | Fastenal

FYI, the factory hitch bolts are not 1.25 pitch. They are a M12 super fine thread of 1.75 IIRC, and not easy to find. I went to 4 fastener shops that did not have them until I found an industrial hardware shop. I have a source for them here in Las Vegas. 50MM should be just fine.

It depends on which frame holes you are talking about. The 3 holes on each side of the bottom of the frame that held the recovery hoops and are used to hold most receiver hitches are indeed M12x1.25. It is a somewhat rare size, M12x1.75 is much more common.

Great info guys. Ordering M12x1.75 50mm bolts nuts now for my pintle mount in the crossmemeber

Thx!!

Mike

Does anyone have pics of inside the cross member if they did beef it up with a plate?

The IPOR bumper looks stout but I have some rust on the crossmember in the backside of it because of the 2 winters in the NE.

Wondering if it's necessary or no....

The Fastenal bolts look and fit great. Just need to get the hitch and my bottom rusty bolts out.

Cheers,
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom