Need Help!!! No movement in 2WD, drives fine in 4H and 4L (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

L2k

Threads
Wife tells me occassionally our 2007 LC 100 series would jump to neutral as she slowed down. Test drove and could not duplicate the problem. Did notice a CEL, VSC Trac and VSC off. CEL revealed P0158 code. Swapped Bank 2 O2 sensor which has not resolved the problem. Can clear code and drive about 40 to 50 miles before it generates again. Suspecting the computer needs flashing/reprogrammed. Has been going on about a month.

Last week she experienced no movement in reverse or drive. When putting in park LC will roll if on incline. She managed to put in 4H and LC drove fine. Now I have a/t p when in 2WD. It goes away when switching to 4H or 4L. Place 4H to neutral and back to drive or reverse with no movement without the surge of going into gear. Putting LC in park and get a grinding noise when in 2WD. No noise going into park when in 4WD.

Tranny is a sealed so I can't check the transmission fluid.

Can anyone provide some guidance on getting this beast under control? Thanks

I can only help with this: first off, your Land Cruiser is Full Time 4wd unless you installed a Part time Kit.

Reactions: L2k
It sounds like there a bit going on here, but as @krice118 said, your LC is full time 4wd. If it's not moving forward or reverse except when the center differential lock is activated, you've likely stripped the driveshaft flanges on the front end (the driveshafts pass through these flanges, when they strip, the axles just spin freely within them).

Try driving the car in 4H with the center differential button turned off (the default position). If it doesn't go anywhere, then, while the car is in park or neutral, activate the center diff lock (button on the dash by your right knee under the hazard lights). If you're able to drive once the diff lock is engaged, it's probably the drive flanges.

Lift each front wheel independantly using your jack. The wheel that rotates freely is the one with the stripped driveshaft flanges. A replacement flange should run fifty-some dollars online or about seventy from your dealer. Follow bearing repack instructions to remove and replace them. Do both sides while you are in there.

I had a similar thing happen last week, CClip popped off, axle slid out and ruined the outter flange. Mine drove fine with CDL engaged so I was able to get it to the shop. Got new OEM CV axle and flange, repacked bearings while in there. This was my passenger side (will do drivers side in next few months for preventative measures).

I think a lot of the matter is indeed just misunderstanding the 4wd shifter. You might want to read the owners manual. If that 4wd stick is in neutral, yeah it’s not supposed to go anywhere, and even the sticker next to the shifter warns that park will not work if 4wd shifter is in neutral. The tranny park depends on the transfer case being in gear, and if it’s not, yeah it’s gonna roll.
There is no 2wd setting at all, and I’m guessing you mistook N on the 4wd shifter as being 2wd. You should be driving in 4H all the time on the 4wd shifter. If stuff is slippery, hit center lock button to lock center diff. Only if you’re really off-road in slippery stuff do you ever touch the 4wd shifter and and move it from 4H to 4L (and can only do that while other shifter is in neutral). I don’t think there’s any normal purpose for the N position on the 4wd shifter.

It sounds like there a bit going on here, but as @krice118 said, your LC is full time 4wd. If it's not moving forward or reverse except when the center differential lock is activated, you've likely stripped the driveshaft flanges on the front end (the driveshafts pass through these flanges, when they strip, the axles just spin freely within them).

Try driving the car in 4H with the center differential button turned off (the default position). If it doesn't go anywhere, then, while the car is in park or neutral, activate the center diff lock (button on the dash by your right knee under the hazard lights). If you're able to drive once the diff lock is engaged, it's probably the drive flanges.

Thanks for the response. I will be at it early tomorrow. Will let you know what I find.

I think a lot of the matter is indeed just misunderstanding the 4wd shifter. You might want to read the owners manual. If that 4wd stick is in neutral, yeah it’s not supposed to go anywhere, and even the sticker next to the shifter warns that park will not work if 4wd shifter is in neutral. The tranny park depends on the transfer case being in gear, and if it’s not, yeah it’s gonna roll.
There is no 2wd setting at all, and I’m guessing you mistook N on the 4wd shifter as being 2wd. You should be driving in 4H all the time on the 4wd shifter. If stuff is slippery, hit center lock button to lock center diff. Only if you’re really off-road in slippery stuff do you ever touch the 4wd shifter and and move it from 4H to 4L (and can only do that while other shifter is in neutral). I don’t think there’s any normal purpose for the N position on the 4wd shifter.
:bang::bang: KFun740 you just saved me a couple hours of chasing my tail. You simplied 4WD for newbs. Thats exactly whats happening, 4WD shifter in the neutral and nothing happens. Was under the impression I was in 2WD with the 4WD shifter in the neutral position. Let me guess when in the neutral that's why I have the at/ p light. Noticed it when in 4H. Thank God experts like yourself is out here to guide newbs like myself. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks? Will start visiting here more often. Thanks again.

:bang::bang: KFun740 you just saved me a couple hours of chasing my tail. You simplied 4WD for newbs. Thats exactly whats happening, 4WD shifter in the neutral and nothing happens. Was under the impression I was in 2WD with the 4WD shifter in the neutral position. Let me guess when in the neutral that's why I have the at/ p light. Noticed it when in 4H. Thank God experts like yourself is out here to guide newbs like myself. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks? Will start visiting here more often. Thanks again.
You’re welcome, but don’t assume I’m an expert, that’s your next mistake, hah. I’ve worked on a lot of cars, but not much of a 4wd guy and bought the LC in November. LCs are pretty weird compared to other 4wds I’ve used, and I had to read the owners manual to make sure I was doing it right. Most trucks I’ve driven have 2wd mode like you assumed, and that’s what you use for most driving. The LC is great in that it’s similar to AWD for all normal driving, and not much different from my wife’s Subaru. The LC can also lock into true 4wd like a 4x4 truck, which puts it better than the Subaru when off-road.

You can check the transmissionfluid level, there is a "check" plug on the bottom of the transmission. It is a Allen head (5mm) screw, engine running, trans in park and hot, remove that plug.
If fluid pours out it is over filled, if it drips out it's fine. If none comes out it's low.
On the side of the transmission next to the shift linkage is the fill plug. About half way up the side of the trans.

You’re welcome, but don’t assume I’m an expert, that’s your next mistake, hah. I’ve worked on a lot of cars, but not much of a 4wd guy and bought the LC in November. LCs are pretty weird compared to other 4wds I’ve used, and I had to read the owners manual to make sure I was doing it right. Most trucks I’ve driven have 2wd mode like you assumed, and that’s what you use for most driving. The LC is great in that it’s similar to AWD for all normal driving, and not much different from my wife’s Subaru. The LC can also lock into true 4wd like a 4x4 truck, which puts it better than the Subaru when off-road.
You are so correct about the LC. My wife convinced me to get it as a retirement gift to myself after 23 years of honorable service in the military. I had the opportunity to dirve it for about six months until she took it over. Needless to say I never got the chance to really learn it like the rest of my vehicles. Thanks again for saving me. I will be reviewing the owners manual.

You can check the transmissionfluid level, there is a "check" plug on the bottom of the transmission. It is a Allen head (5mm) screw, engine running, trans in park and hot, remove that plug.
If fluid pours out it is over filled, if it drips out it's fine. If none comes out it's low.
On the side of the transmission next to the shift linkage is the fill plug. About half way up the side of the trans.
Thanks for that info. I do recall seeing everything except the fill plug. Done a little research and found one of the lower plugs was for draining and the other allowed you to check the fluid. Probably gonna tackle this job next week. You have any recommendations when it comes to changing the fluid? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

important note, do this on a LEVEL surface :)

Thanks for that info. I do recall seeing everything except the fill plug. Done a little research and found one of the lower plugs was for draining and the other allowed you to check the fluid. Probably gonna tackle this job next week. You have any recommendations when it comes to changing the fluid? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Yes. Use Valvoline MaxLife ATF, for a drain and fill you'll need a gallon.
Buy these. I bought three sets and have one plug left over. These work on the trans, both diffs and t-case.
Diff Transfer Gearbox Drain Filler Plug Kit suitable for Landcruiser Hilux
You will need a fluid pump to fill the transmission, diffs and t-case.

I pumped in all of the ATF, drove around for 20min to get the transmission hot, then drained out the excess via the check plug. I think that is the easiest way. Rather than adding, driving, checking, adding, driving, checking...overfill it, get it hot, get it to prop level.

Thanks for the link. Will pick up the Valvoline MaxLife ATF tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom