Need Help Deciding between Two FJ40s and a third option (2 Viewers)

Which choice to make?

• Buy the '73 stock FJ40 to restore to OEM

Votes: 13 29.5%
  • Buy the '77 modded FJ40 to turn into a crawler

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Buy a FJ40 a year from now or after I get back from my next deployment...

Votes: 24 54.5%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Go with what your heart tells you is most important

I would vote for the stocker, but only if you can do it in a manner that it will:

1) not effect your relationship with your wife.
2) you can afford to pay cash or borrow only 1/4 -1/3 of the cost
3) you have at least one reliable DD for you and your wife
4) It will not effect you studies or potential schooling.
5) you can make the decision without regret.

There will alway be another FJ-40, even though the seem uncommon they are out there. Buying a basket case or a "needs some tlc/work" may seem like a great idea as to cost and having some fun, but it is very costly in the long run. It take time, time, time, and more money. Anmother thing about a needs work deal is that you have to have a good place to do the work and above all the tools and time.

All of these trucks are over 20 years in age and always need something. With a baby on the way your time will be limited with work and your family.

It's easier and much more fun to have a truck you can hop in and enjoy with your family and tinker with every once in a while in the driveway on a sunny day putting on a new piece of weather stripping or a new emblem, than having to replace the tranmisson or putting in a new rear main seal and spending the entire weekend(s) doing it.

I vote for enjoying the family and going for a drive verses busting knuckles and hearing the wife complain about "not spending time with me and the baby".

Good Luck and remember there will always be another truck most likely a better one at that!

F-junker said:
I would vote for the stocker, but only if you can do it in a manner that it will:

1) not effect your relationship with your wife.
2) you can afford to pay cash or borrow only 1/4 -1/3 of the cost
3) you have at least one reliable DD for you and your wife
4) It will not effect you studies or potential schooling.
5) you can make the decision without regret.

Good list.. to answer those questions

1) The big question and only reason there is not one or two FJ40s currently in my driveway
2) I would pay cash--all vehicles paid off for
3) FJ40 would join the family of my wifes FZJ80, my RX-8 (soon to be replaced by a more sedate family car), and my motorcycle(s)
4) I study now for my job, however, it should not affect it and my current job has been progresing slowly unfortunately. I was originally talking about studying for the GRE, or LSAT which I would still need to get orders/permission to go to Grad School after I'm done with my fleet tour (kind of a shining light at the end of the tunnel--if I can get there)
5) My only regret would be making my wife feel like I disregarded her thoughts and feelings...

That being said.. how do I get the wife to jump on the bandwagon? My biggest issue might be that I go out and get "too much" stuff. Sold my two motorcycles and Car before I deployed. Bought my FZJ80 and one motorcycle halfway through deployment and had it delivered then bought 3 more motorcycles after I got back. Sold a car and a motorcycle recently and would sell more motorcycles if I could get "permission" for the cruiser. I should also sell a few mountianbike, some extra rims for my old car and some other things I need to get to...

The wife is basically afraid that the FJ40 will sit and gather dust, or, I will deploy and she will be stuck with one more thing for her to take care of...

I need to do some chores when I get home today!

Compromise! sometimes ya gotta do it. Make that stocker safe and have tons of fun with the family in there. Sell off your other stuff to help pay and get the wife something she wants at the same time. The stocker has sat this long without issue...whats a little longer?

I do like the idea of depending on where you are deployed...especially overseas about finding a cool one to bring back tho! That would be more fun than thinking about the stock one you have at home...

If you get the stock cruiser and can't keep it it will resell easier than a crawler and the stock cruiser should hold it's value, too. I also believe if you wait, you might not be able to get one. Best of luck---post up your pics when it happens!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom