Need help choosing between two 80's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FWIW, I purchase my locked 97 117K for less than 8500 but had to go up to Boston to get it. Plus I had to deal with a little rusty under carriage.. nothing serious. I had to lube up the shift linkages and shift a bunch on time to get my CDL ABS to come as Tuccing said.

These are things that will help you negotiate. Chances are they were not used in a long while.

Bring cash and remember, gas prices are going up up up..

Ask one of the Mudders who volunteered to look at it.. get the carfaxes, better to safe than sorry.

good luck
Stu

Drove the 97 today. Is it necessary to be in motion for the CDL/ABS lights to come on after shifting to 4 low? I was stopped when I engaged low, only drove a few feet forward, but didn't get either light. needless to say the diff lights were just flashing when I tried to engaged them.

Is this a red flag?

If you have five minutes crawl underneath with a paper clip. Pull the harness of off the switch in the transfer case. its on the top passanger side of the transfer case. pull the harness insert paper clip as a jumper to by pass your switch. Then get back in the truck and put it in low. If your cdl light and abs light come your then your switch is bad. I had the same thing happen to me when i bought mine. a 23.00 switch from napa will take care of that.

Thanks all.

Since I know the PO, and have access to all the service records, Im going to spring for the locked truck. A good cleaning and some tuff ducks up front should revive the interior.

I'll give the paperclip thing a try if I dont get the dash lights next time.

Will post up some pics after the deal is done.

Will you wheel it? Will you regear / go bigger? $1500 will go a long way toward some ARB's. I get the whole factory locked thing (including my own), but if the unlocked truck is better in every other way, and cheaper, then there's still a case for it. my 2 cents...

I agree with Jacket.

If the other truck is cleaner than I would go that way.

You are also asking a 4x4 forum which one they would go for, a locked or unlocked truck and your going to get a highly biased opinion BUT there are MANY MANY other people out there in the market that don't understand why they would want to spend more money on a feature they will hardly ever or never use (those who don't wheel often).

It might provide a higher resale for a smaller group of people but again that's not a huge market either. A clean 80 is worth more in my book.

The 96 is cleaner inside and lower miles, but the exterior has significant issues. After driving it a second time I found the steering to be a little loose, and heard some belt squeal. My choice to go with the 97 is based more on my connection to the owner, access to the service history, and the fact that I've spent time with it in the past and its been good to me.
I really appreciate the input though, as the reality is that this truck will see wheeling no more than 2x a year.

Enjoy your new 80
You have to buy what makes you happy and confident.

Just to update, ended up not getting either. When I went to check out the 97 again, I decided the interior was too far gone, and there were a lot of exhaust fumes escaping from somewhere between the manifold and the cat. If I wanted to sit in exhaust all day I'd have kept my 62.
Back in the market if anyone is local and looking to sell.

I'd go with..

...the locked one fo sho. Plus she looks like my Elsie :flipoff2:

hey, i have my 94 80 series for sale. awesome condition in and out. 124k dark green, lockers, ome 2.5 in. lift, 1 inch spacers, brand new 315/75/16 mudders, lots of toyota dealer records, no issues, really awesome condition. $8500.00 rhinonutt@aol.com i can send pics.

I was faced with a similar situation....i picked the locked one....no regrets!

It's good, probably VERY good that you were willing to walk away from both of them. The right 80 is out there.

I think the most important facet to keep in mind when buying an 80 today is "risk aversion".

Agreed. I gave it a lot of thought and realized neither was going to work for me. Always reassuring to realize you're still capable of making educated decisions.
The search continues.

Yea cool I wouldnt by a 80 without lockers ..and I sure wouldnt pay 8500 for a stock rusty one like mine from the northeast records or not.
Good luck with the search.

did it

Moonglow 96, unlocked, grey interior, 139K, paid $5900. Clean, everything works, and I'm happy.
IMG_0624.jpg

A good outcome. The hardest thing in the world to walk away from a car when you've got money in your pocket (it is in my experience, anyway :lol: ).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom