Need Help - Buddy is broken down in La Jolla and needs advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BreckenridgeCruiser

I break things.
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
teqtach.com
Hey all!

I have a buddy from CO that drove out for his anniversary and his 4Runner is having a fueling issue and won't start. He needs advice on where he can take the truck to be looked at. He is a solid mechanic, but without his space and tools ... and the fact that he is with his wife and enjoying his anniversary, he needs some help with figuring out where he can trust to get the work done well and in a timely manner. All and any recommendations are appreciated!

@Boing

He called and they are two to three days out. He needs to get back to CO by Monday so the plan right now is tow it here to my place, and then they will ship it back to CO. Apparently it could be many options for a sensor failure that is preventing the computer from allowing spark/fuel...

I think the wife gets a redo on the anniversary trip.

It's here in the driveway if anyone wants to swing by and maybe we can get this dialed in for him?

Oceanside just west of El Camino Real. Let me know and I send the address or post in the members forum...

Update! Thanks @DomSmith for putting us in touch with Tom. Tow truck is ordered and will be heading there shortly. Hopefully he can figure it out quickly and save him a ton of hassle! More updates to come!

We can still have a party though!

See if The Truck Shop in Miramar has the capability to squeeze him in. They did my front spacers on my '21.

Update for anyone watching this:

We towed the truck to Tom at Autotyme Automotive in Vista with the help of @DomSmith and they got to work immediately. They were able to fire the truck with brake cleaner so we know we get spark. The thought is that the fuel pump went so that is today's plan to replace that and see where we are.

My buddy Jay swung by after the time at the shop and we had long chance to catch up, which was nice under the circumstances....

More to come!

I think Jay did that before we towed.... Hopefully they are getting closer!

Adventure is the key word here. Let's face it San Diego area is not BFE so getting stranded here is better that the briar patch. Besides he has friends here and total strangers who are more than willing to help out. Party on Garth.

Final update!

The pump had failed due to (no sh!t) bad heat shrink that was supposed to be rated for fuel immersion. Apparently it turned to jello, exposed a bare wire that shorted and burned out the harness both at the bulkhead and IN THE TANK!

Lucky that the whole thing didn't arc and ignite!

But as being one of the luckiest dudes I know, Jay drove down to Chula to a junkyard that had the OEM Denso pump he needed and slapped it back in this morning and was on his way back to CO.

Special thanks to @DomSmith for giving me a call and putting us in touch with Tom at Autotyme Automotive who pulled the tank, worked with Jay to find the part (Toyota apparently has discontinued the part) and even opened up the shop for Jay to get the part installed, slap the tank back in, test, and get back on the road in time to get home!

Thanks everyone for your help and input on getting this done!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom