Need advice on under carriage rust (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m looking at buying my first land cruiser and need advice. It’s a 2004 with 127k miles and has been in Illinois for the past 10 years. I’m curious if the rust in the attached pictures is normal or excessive.

Should I be concerned by this?

Thanks!

6A42F34D-308E-48A5-B327-8D959DE6DC2D.jpeg

D0D18AFE-4043-4566-85C0-C73AE882B469.jpeg

BC1FB149-796C-4584-8F33-B982580D4601.jpeg

B6A9E445-695C-4525-87E3-FC06FD09CF8F.jpeg

Only if you ever see a reason to try and loosen any bolt on it. Why would anyone look in illinois for a truck.

Eh so you going to keep this rig for life? Or 2-3 years?
If its cheap, and you aren't going to be modding, then go for it.

Run away. I'm from Michigan and traveled to Alabama. Was a fun adventure with the kids. Drove the prius down. Bought LC. Went to u haul. Towed prius home. Left Wed morning very early and was home for dinner Thursday.

Run away. I'm from Michigan and traveled to Alabama. Was a fun adventure with the kids. Drove the prius down. Bought LC. Went to u haul. Towed prius home. Left Wed morning very early and was home for dinner Thursday.

If your Cruiser is driven during Michigan winters I'd think it would end up looking like this in short order, so what's the difference?

If your Cruiser is driven during Michigan winters I'd think it would end up looking like this in short order, so what's the difference?
It will get driven during storms when 4 wheel drive will help the wife get to work feeling safer. The difference is that it started rust free and I take it over to Windsor Ontario and get it treated by Krown Rustproofing. Probably not going to save it forever but it looks as good after 1 winter as it did before. For 140 bucks a year it works for me. Did suspension work a few weeks ago and had no problem with stuck bolts.

Its cheap and will still run and perform well for years? I mean, safety glasses are $5.
It may be cheap and it may run for years but it will be miserable trying to do any work on it. Id pay more to not have to deal with rust. As far as i am concerned you cant pay to little for a rust bucket

I know everyone here is terrified of rust, but it honestly isn't that hard to work on rusty vehicles. PB blaster and heat is all you need, takes almost no time.

I know everyone here is terrified of rust, but it honestly isn't that hard to work on rusty vehicles. PB blaster and heat is all you need, takes almost no time.

Like he said. Granted 10 min jobs can turn into 1.5 hrs but it still gets done. Man up. Buy it and enjoy the adventure

My problem with rusty trucks (like mine as well), is that no matter how much money and time you throw at it, it will never be a good truck. It might be an okay truck that will work for a couple years, but will never be a mint good truck. So every time I spend money on it is like pulling my teeth, because I know it's money wasted, as in the long run (5-6 years) I will still have to take the whole lot to the junk yard.

I’m curious if the rust in the attached pictures is normal or excessive.

Normal for IL, excessive for NC. Since you don't live in the rust belt, be patient and find a rust free one.

My problem with rusty trucks (like mine as well), is that no matter how much money and time you throw at it, it will never be a good truck. It might be an okay truck that will work for a couple years, but will never be a mint good truck. So every time I spend money on it is like pulling my teeth, because I know it's money wasted, as in the long run (5-6 years) I will still have to take the whole lot to the junk yard.

I see your point. But I guess my counter would be that the vast majority of “mods” done are bolt on. So you could easily just remove them and put them on another LC if yours somehow rusted through. Shocks, UCAs, springs and bumpers are all fairly easy to install and remove. I know I’ll never convince people and that’s fine, to each their own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom