Need a light... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Lka1988

Beating the Highlander
Threads
Literally, I need a light. I've got a custom switchbox mounted in front of the auto/T-case shifters, non-illuminated.

I need some sort of light to illuminated this thing, because I can't see it at night. I've accidentally blinded more than a few oncoming cars by hitting the wrong switch, due to not being able to see them...

Anyway, I'm search-tarded. I even went to Radioshack to see if they had anything, and as helpful as the guy was, I couldn't find anything, much less figure out how to build what I need. I'm working with limited space here, so it can't be very big at all...

Would someone be able to help me out? There's more than likely something out there that exactly fits my bill, I'm just not seeing it. :bang:

Switchbox:
n539070227_5091389_3407.jpg

TIA
-Lane

Anyone?

Swap the switches for the light up kind, your local parts store has many styles and colors.

They are the light-up kind. But one problem: they only light up when turned ON.

I need something to illuminate the whole panel. Switches on OR off.

Put a light inside the box and drill out some holes around the switches to outline them.

Put a light inside the box and drill out some holes around the switches to outline them.

Now THAT is thinking....inside...the box....:ban:

Good idea. I never thought about that.

Your 12VDC outlet is right on to of the box. Get one of those map lights that plugs into the outlet. I've seen those with a flex body to adjust it.

Quick and simple solution

mount a small led light above them and wire it in with your dash lights?

Ideally, yes. But I'm a tard when it comes to mounting stuff like this.

How about listening to a previous post-er and checking with a local parts store, and finding the switches that are lit all the time when your ignition is on? I KNOW they are made. And I'm not talking NAPA/Checker/Poop Boys, go to a 4x4 specific place. They will know what you are looking for. No insult intended here, just make sure you have actually exhausted local options. :meh:

Factory defrost swiches in the coin holder locations and next to the mirror control.

badmuthatrucka-

I apologize for any ignorance on my part, I didn't know he was talking about those kind of switches... I had some time to think about it though, and it seems like they would make for a cleaner look than what I was going for.

I'll have to check out the local 4x4 shop and see what they got.

Even Napa has the clear toggle full lit ones (at least the one here). Similar Baxters Auto (at least thats what they are called in OR) have a pretty nice variety.... even sitting right at the sale counter :)

Ive been tempted to buy some for fun.... but right now have nothing to turn on or off LOL.

Ok, I just realized something... For me to use those switches, I would need to run 12V to each of them, right? That's the easy part. But here's the problem- none of the switches lead directly to ground...

:hmm:

You would probably be best off to tap the backlight circuit positive and ground wires from another switch in the dash and route the wires into your box - that way the new switches would dim with the stock ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom