SOLD NC: 1974 FJ40 Freeborn Red SBC400 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
Mileage
Color
rgb(240, 11, 11)

Build thread with lots of details and pics.

$21,500 OBO.

Mileage is unknown. Odometer shows mileage since SBC was installed decades ago. There are lots of details in the build thread and some items done that aren’t in there.

I’ve owned this cruiser for the last 10-12 years. I’ve put lots of blood, sweat and tears- and money into it! Garage kept since purchased. Has all the great upgrades (power steering, disk brakes, etc) and has been partially restored. Has a clean title. I’m just not driving it much lately as life has become busy. No need for it to sit. I’m listing a lot of the work that’s been done (too numerous to list all) and some items that could still use some attention. Includes lots of spare parts and old original parts (including spare rebuilt power steering box, original dash cluster, etc).

Owner could drive as is for years to come or continue restoring it. If interested, PM me and we can setup a time for a viewing. No lowballs and tire kickers. If you’re serious, let’s talk!

Details- 1974 FJ40 with 1975 SBC400.
4 speed transmission and TC out of 1980 FJ40- rebuilt. Considerably less TC whine and easier shifting than stock setup.
Has the older style SBC adapter, so shifters are right at the heater. No issues with it.
Downey low profile clutch.
Front disk brakes from 1978 40 (birfields out)
Rear disk brakes- Posers kit
New brake and clutch cylinders.
Mini truck power steering. Current box rebuilt by West Texas off-road. Have a spare box also rebuilt by them.
Aussie locker in rear axle.
New painless wiring harness installed.
New electronic dizzy/ignition installed.
Dakota Digital dash cluster.
LED headlights and bulbs all around (except for front blinkers).
Kenwood cd/radio in center console.
Flaming River ignition cut off in glove box.
Warn M8000 winch with wireless remote/synthetic line.
Late model 40 rims with 33x10.5’s BFGKM2’s installed. Spare as well.
Rebuilt quadrajet carb.
3 row aluminum radiator with shroud.
Hi lift jack with rear tire mount included.
Hard top and bikini top included.
Many spare parts included.
Entire floor painted with rust bullet and black rust resist paint.
Underneath steam cleaned and painted with chassis saver.
Rear sill, quarter panel patches and rockers replaced with new metal. New passenger front fender.
Many mechanical parts rebuilt or replaced.
Painted with Cruiser Corps freeborn red.
Most nuts/bolts replaced with zinc plated bolt kit. Still have a lot of unused nuts and bolts left (included).
Cruiser Corps front and rear floor mats.

Known issues-
Engine uses a slight bit of oil and leaks a slight bit too.
Engine runs between 200-215. Never boiled over. SBC forums seem split on whether this is good or bad. Engine runs strong. Has RV CAM installed.
Some minor rust in wheel wells and driver front floor. They have not worsened in my 10-12 years of ownership. Any areas were coated with rust bullet. The worst rust areas got new metal patches/ panels. Overall it’s very solid and with a couple of new panels could be awesome.
There were small holes drilled where a soft top was installed by previous owner years ago. They are hidden with hard top installed.
Couple extra holes in hood where PO had SBC 400 emblems installed.
3-4 holes for hardtop bolts are stripped, but hardtop installs nice and tight.
Front visor holes on hard top are wallowed out some, but installs fine.
One hardtop pole cut short, one normal length (installs fine).
Hardtop in overall good shape but it’s not mint by any means. No rust just a little wear and tear.
Small battery drain if it sits a few weeks which is probably normal for not being started regularly, Trickle charge takes care of it.
Transport company damaged the lid of the center console during my move. Still works and locks, but bent.

8BC97786-C804-4697-A0A8-C1F93BD9F93D.jpeg

688F7F22-C743-4D69-BC5A-53644825B56C.jpeg

E7ED9320-45F8-400A-855A-CEF3B4661306.jpeg

47092233-F780-4DC1-9D03-7487D49A42E3.jpeg

17623D9B-99B9-47B0-BA6F-0FF786C8BBBB.jpeg

Last edited:
Maybe, although I didn’t delete it. It was under review by Facebook. It’s showing up under marketplace. Not sure about ONSC.
That sure looks like a sweet rig.
Enjoyed going back through the thread also
Best wishes on the sale.

Wish I could buy it now, but two kids still in college.

That sure looks like a sweet rig.
Enjoyed going back through the thread also
Best wishes on the sale.

Wish I could buy it now, but two kids still in college.
Thank you! I really hate to sell it, but with two kids under 10- it’s just not being driven much. Eventually I’ll be facing you’re current predicament!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom