Nav to Non-Nav Conversion - OEM Backup Camera Instructions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Working through a Nav to Non-Nav headunit and wanted to share some quick info on the reusing the OEM backup camera. I've seen a couple threads sharing partial info, but never a full writeup, so here one is. Quality isn't the best, but it's actually really easy to hookup. I'm using a 9" android unit, but steps below should work with any aftermarket headhunt.

Background info: The GX470 is a criss-crossing web of wires and ECUs. On paper, the easiest way to wire up the backup camera is just to tap into the Television ECU which is located right in the passenger footwell (next to the climate control ECU). I saw a writeup where someone tapped into those wires and I literally can't imagine how. There are 3 plugs on the unit and the one needed for the camera signal is on the furthest back plug. I was pretty positive if i even managed to get the first plug out, I couldn't get it back in. Even more important, there is no play in the cables... so yeah, absolutely not diving into that mess. The plus side is, the camera signal and other things we need can be tapped into elsewhere, so that's what I did instead.

Trigger Signal: The Television ECU and the Navigation ECU both have a 12v "reverse" signal we can tape into. The TV ECU is impossible to get to (see above), so I went for the Navigation ECU which is the absolute easiest ECU in the GX to access. Underneath the front passenger seat, flip the middle carpet covering forward and tada: full access to the Navigation wiring. For my 2004 there are 3 main harnesses. The one I needed was on the side closest to the driver side and I tapped into the black/red wire. To make things easy, I used a Posi-Tap connector. This wire is then run either through the center console or along the doorsill up to the headunit 12v "Reverse In" line.

Camera Signal: First thing to do here is run the RCA cable from the headunit back to the tailgate. Passenger side sills pop off, so just run it along the trough. I'm lazy, so I just tucked it under the carpet/siding edge going through the rear area. When you get to the tailgate, you, you'll to pull up the rear sill plate and pull back the passenger side lower plastic covering (see pic). You'll also want to remove all the tailgate trim too. Routing the cable through the door grommet is the trickiest part of the install. Easiest way I found was to first fish a line from the car-side grommet hole down to the bottom of the trunk area. Once you've got your RCA cable at the car-side grommet hole, now cut a hole in the backside of the grommet and fish the line to the tailgate-side of the grommet. Put an RCA to wire adapter onto the cable and connect the positive and negative leads to the camera loom. I used PosiTaps here too to make it easy. Positive to black wire. Negative to white (the one on the bottom, NOT top). Put it all back together and you're done!

Thoughts for future: Technically, you only need to wire up the positive side to the camera signal for this to work. The negative lead from the RCA can be connected to any ground. This leads to another option which you could be tried, but not sure how it would work out. The positive video signal wire transitions to a shielded cable in the tailgate and continues that way all the way up to the front. The shielding looks like some thick transparent tubing. If you look in the front passenger door sill you can easily see the cable (it's tucked behind the black tabs inboard a little bit. I *think* you might be able to cut into the shielding and tap the positive signal right there. Another thing I want to do in the future is wire the camera to always have power so I can look at it will driving. Just waiting on a 12v to 6v adapter to arrive so I can reroute the power (the top two wires in the wiring connector to the camera).

Camera Quality: OEM camera is definitely not the best, but for ease of install I'm okay with it. I tested out two other cameras from Amazon. The first was very similar in resolution to the OEM camera but with slightly better color. The second (which cost $30) was noticeably better quality. I'd say the difference seemed like going from Standard Definition TV to DVD quality. Both are pretty bad by modern standards though.

Word of Warning: I originally planned to replace the OEM camera with a newer camera. However, to get the camera off, you have to pull out an exterior trim piece on the tailgate. This looked like a huge headache and a high likelihood of problems trying to reinstall. On my GX, the little tabs to remove the trim from the inside had been coated in some black plastic coating. I think the easier option here would just be leaving the OEM camera in place and figuring out a way to secure the new camera nearby. This would mean drilling a hole to run the wire, but I think it'd be a better solution overall.

Photo 1 - Navigation ECU under passenger seat. Bottom middle red/black wire on farthest right connector is the 12v reverse signal.
IMG_3533.jpeg

Photo 2 - Running the wire through the door grommet. Most annoying part of the whole process. I thought maybe I could get better access through the turn signal housing, but that didn't work out.
IMG_3626.jpeg

Photo 3 - New cabling in place! Not shown, a $3 female-to-female RCA adapter.
IMG_3637.jpeg

Photo 4 - Close up of new connections. PosiTaps for the win.
IMG_3629.jpeg

Photo 5 - Final result. Good enough! Next up, front cam :)
IMG_3643.jpeg

Last edited:
I think you were referring to my previous post about the camera ECU.

The wiring does seem very tight, but once you unplug it from the television camera ECU, you can pull out and get some room to work with it. It is a tight spot, but I'm 6' and ~240lbs and I was able to get my fat mitts in there. :) Pulling the glove box out gives you plenty of space to work.

Getting to the navigation ECU is a good option. I pulled the nav ECU out entirely and used an adapter to use the OEM GPS antenna on the Android unit, instead of the one provided.

I think you were referring to my previous post about the camera ECU.

The wiring does seem very tight, but once you unplug it from the television camera ECU, you can pull out and get some room to work with it. It is a tight spot, but I'm 6' and ~240lbs and I was able to get my fat mitts in there. :) Pulling the glove box out gives you plenty of space to work.

Getting to the navigation ECU is a good option. I pulled the nav ECU out entirely and used an adapter to use the OEM GPS antenna on the Android unit, instead of the one provided.

Hahaha, yep, I referenced your post heavily to make sure I wasn't totally heading down a dead end with the wiring! Thanks so much for posting that info and the diagram!! I think if I was attacking the project fresh, maybe I'd be willing to try pulling the wires from the TV ECU, but after just having gone through the climate control extension (I ended up extending 10 or 12 wires), I was in no mood to mess with anything else in that corner!

Working through a Nav to Non-Nav headunit and wanted to share some quick info on the reusing the OEM backup camera. I've seen a couple threads sharing partial info, but never a full writeup, so here one is. Quality isn't the best, but it's actually really easy to hookup. I'm using a 9" android unit, but steps below should work with any aftermarket headhunt.

Background info: The GX470 is a criss-crossing web of wires and ECUs. On paper, the easiest way to wire up the backup camera is just to tap into the Television ECU which is located right in the passenger footwell (next to the climate control ECU). I saw a writeup where someone tapped into those wires and I literally can't imagine how. There are 3 plugs on the unit and the one needed for the camera signal is on the furthest back plug. I was pretty positive if i even managed to get the first plug out, I couldn't get it back in. Even more important, there is no play in the cables... so yeah, absolutely not diving into that mess. The plus side is, the camera signal and other things we need can be tapped into elsewhere, so that's what I did instead.

Trigger Signal: The Television ECU and the Navigation ECU both have a 12v "reverse" signal we can tape into. The TV ECU is impossible to get to (see above), so I went for the Navigation ECU which is the absolute easiest ECU in the GX to access. Underneath the front passenger seat, flip the middle carpet covering forward and tada: full access to the Navigation wiring. For my 2004 there are 3 main harnesses. The one I needed was on the side closest to the driver side and I tapped into the black/red wire. To make things easy, I used a Posi-Tap connector. This wire is then run either through the center console or along the doorsill up to the headunit 12v "Reverse In" line.

Camera Signal: First thing to do here is run the RCA cable from the headunit back to the tailgate. Passenger side sills pop off, so just run it along the trough. I'm lazy, so I just tucked it under the carpet/siding edge going through the rear area. When you get to the tailgate, you, you'll to pull up the rear sill plate and pull back the passenger side lower plastic covering (see pic). You'll also want to remove all the tailgate trim too. Routing the cable through the door grommet is the trickiest part of the install. Easiest way I found was to first fish a line from the car-side grommet hole down to the bottom of the trunk area. Once you've got your RCA cable at the car-side grommet hole, now cut a hole in the backside of the grommet and fish the line to the tailgate-side of the grommet. Put an RCA to wire adapter onto the cable and connect the positive and negative leads to the camera loom. I used PosiTaps here too to make it easy. Positive to black wire. Negative to white (the one on the bottom, NOT top). Put it all back together and you're done!

Thoughts for future: Technically, you only need to wire up the positive side to the camera signal for this to work. The negative lead from the RCA can be connected to any ground. This leads to another option which you could be tried, but not sure how it would work out. The positive video signal wire transitions to a shielded cable in the tailgate and continues that way all the way up to the front. The shielding looks like some thick transparent tubing. If you look in the front passenger door sill you can easily see the cable (it's tucked behind the black tabs inboard a little bit. I *think* you might be able to cut into the shielding and tap the positive signal right there. Another thing I want to do in the future is wire the camera to always have power so I can look at it will driving. Just waiting on a 12v to 6v adapter to arrive so I can reroute the power (the top two wires in the wiring connector to the camera).

Camera Quality: OEM camera is definitely not the best, but for ease of install I'm okay with it. I tested out two other cameras from Amazon. The first was very similar in resolution to the OEM camera but with slightly better color. The second (which cost $30) was noticeably better quality. I'd say the difference seemed like going from Standard Definition TV to DVD quality. Both are pretty bad by modern standards though.

Word of Warning: I originally planned to replace the OEM camera with a newer camera. However, to get the camera off, you have to pull out an exterior trim piece on the tailgate. This looked like a huge headache and a high likelihood of problems trying to reinstall. On my GX, the little tabs to remove the trim from the inside had been coated in some black plastic coating. I think the easier option here would just be leaving the OEM camera in place and figuring out a way to secure the new camera nearby. This would mean drilling a hole to run the wire, but I think it'd be a better solution overall.

Photo 1 - Navigation ECU under passenger seat. Bottom middle red/black wire on farthest right connector is the 12v reverse signal.
View attachment 2468681

Photo 2 - Running the wire through the door grommet. Most annoying part of the whole process. I thought maybe I could get better access through the turn signal housing, but that didn't work out.
View attachment 2468683

Photo 3 - New cabling in place! Not shown, a $3 female-to-female RCA adapter. View attachment 2468686

Photo 4 - Close up of new connections. PosiTaps for the win.View attachment 2468688

Photo 5 - Final result. Good enough! Next up, front cam :)
View attachment 2468689
Did you ever run +12V to the camera in back. I put a new camera in back and wired the trigger and power to the reverse light. Wasn't thinking at the time to have teh camera always on. I don't want to have to take everything apart to get +12V to the camera.

I never did. Ran into bigger issues with the headunit and decided to figure out a plan on that before doing anything else.

Assuming you used one of the rca cables with the trigger pigtail on either end, you won’t have to run a new cable. I think all you’d need to do is just run a constant 12v source from up front into the pigtail, and then run the rear pigtail directly to the camera (so no connection to the reverse light). At the head unit you’d then connect camera trigger wire lead to the reverse 12v source under the front passenger seat. Assuming your headunit has an app to let you view the camera, you should be done.

If you want a physical button, then you’d have to wire in another constant 12v source to a switch in between the headunit trigger wire and the 12v reverse source. I think you’d have to also add some kind of electrical backflow current preventer diode to avoid sending 12v upstream into the nav ecu components (and possibly beyond).

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom