Mystery Over Heating - 100 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been having a problem with my '99 LC and over heating while idle. I have ~175,000 miles on it, and it had the original 90k service. I am the 3rd owner, but 2nd basically kept in in the garage without driving much.

I am over heating when stuck in traffic, or at a drive through, red light. As soon as I start driving and keep moving, we are cooling down. Today, while at a light, something blew, and smoke everywhere (just fluid on an over heating engine). Radiator didn't blow, and overflow is still full. No immediate signs of any other leaks while sitting for 2+hrs for a tow truck.

Any ideas what I might have the shop look for, or be on the lookout for when I hear back from them?

Take out your thermostat, set it in a pot of water on the stove & let it come to a boil to see if it opens when hot. I also had a blow out due to my serpentine belt shredded & wrapped around my clutch fan keeping it from spinning.

There a bunch of things... water pump, t stat, radiator seam crack, fan clutch/pulley, heater tees...

All those what re_guderian said & also try to burp your system. One morning after sitting overnight, remove the radiator cap, start the truck & have your blower on high & max heat. Let the truck run until it reaches operating temperature then check the coolant level in the radiator & make sure no bubbles/air is in the system. Top off if necessary. Put the cap back on & see what happens

SO, I took it in and my heater hose and upper & lower radiator hoses are bad. Probably the original hoses (18yrs old). I am also having the 2nd 90,000 mile service done it while they fix the hoses. Thanks everyone for the input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom