Mystery Noise: Driving me Crazy, please help. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a fairly low, rumbling, almost grinding sound that is fairly noticeable inside the cabin while driving. It only happens when the car is warm, and it goes away after I turn the car off and turn it back on again, only to come back when I give it gas (While warm: the sound is not present I. Cold conditions). The sound doesn’t intensify when I raise the RPM, and it’s hard to pinpoint where it is in the engine bay except I hear it faintly near the radiator and drive belts.

on exceptionally hot days the noise transforms to a squealing sound intermittently.

Has anyone had the same issue? Or at least know what noise this is coming from?
P.S. I have noticed when the noise is present I’m not able to lock my center diff via my CDL actuator, I here the click in the relay box but the symbology doesn’t show.
There is no noticeable different in engine performance.

Thanks all,

luke

I have a fairly low, rumbling, almost grinding sound that is fairly noticeable inside the cabin while driving. It only happens when the car is warm, and it goes away after I turn the car off and turn it back on again, only to come back when I give it gas (While warm: the sound is not present I. Cold conditions). The sound doesn’t intensify when I raise the RPM, and it’s hard to pinpoint where it is in the engine bay except I hear it faintly near the radiator and drive belts.

on exceptionally hot days the noise transforms to a squealing sound intermittently.

Has anyone had the same issue? Or at least know what noise this is coming from?
P.S. I have noticed when the noise is present I’m not able to lock my center diff via my CDL actuator, I here the click in the relay box but the symbology doesn’t show.
There is no noticeable different in engine performance.

Thanks all,

luke
I would guess a failing idler pulley based on the vague description and no audio post.

What Bilt4me said is the first thing that came to mind. It just doesn't tie in with the center lock issue.
Easy check one bolt to test it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom