My short story and semi resto (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So it started 3 years ago while driving around in the bay area, i saw the cleanest looking silver 60 series landcruiser that i have ever seen, and having been a huge fan of all toyota 4x4s, i fell in love, I had to have one... so i began my search. 6 months later i found it... $1500 in Novato, CA. 1987 Fj60 on craigslist with 230,000 miles, zero rust, oil leaks all over the place and barely running. The fun began :D

I was completely new to the Landcruiser world and had only begun to realize what a following these things had. My first clue was the Cruiser Owner Wave...everytime i drove by another cruiser this odd thing would happen where the driver would stick his arm out the window and wave it around in the air. It took me a little while to figure out what was goin on but i got it now.:cheers:

Anyways...back to the 60...i started working on it slowly with plans of completely rebuilding and restoring the drivetrain to make sure it was reliable with the goal of cruising to Alaska. So i pulled the motor and started the rebuild and during the process got hooked up with Gary from Mudraks. Man does that guy know his s**t. He spent over 2 hours just talking to me about my 60 and teaching me everthing i need to know to rebuild my 2f right. I highly recommend him to any cruiser guys in the northern California area. During that 2 hour conversation Gary recommended that i check out this website and search the forums for any problems that i run across...

So here we are today...1 year later and im fully addicted to working on my 60 and fully addicted to this website. I never had a chance to take pictures of the engine rebuild but wish i could have. After a fully rebuilt engine/transmission and transfer case i have moved on to rebuilding the knuckles, and installing an OME suspension kit.

I went with the heavy front and medium rear combo. And if you want to get technical with what is heavy and what is medium from OME there is a thread for that...but to make it easy...CS004F in the front and CS004RA/B combo in the rear. Now im just waiting for the Fox shocks from Downsouth Motorsports and as soon as they get here ill be sure to post pics of the finished product. Until then here are a few to show some mods and progress...
mikes fj60 001.jpg
mikes fj60 002.jpg
mikes fj60 003.jpg

Can I be the first to say that is CLEEEEEEEAAAANNNN underneath. I really like those rims for some reason too, maybe it's the flat black look?

Well done anyway - I'm slowly doing the same to mine...

Did you find this one on Craigslist? I recall a listing for a 60 in Novato for cheap that wasn't really running a while back. At the time I wished I'd have had the money and space to buy and work on it. Looking good.

yeah it was on craigslist. it was on there for a while and i kept debating it since it barely ran. But the price along with the fact that it had zero rust was the selling point. The rims are KMC enduros. 15x7 and 3.76" backspacing. i have to run 1/4" spacers and extended thread lugnuts to make them work up front.

Like those rims.

Nice job!

Turn key ... Enjoy

Very nice work!

Now for 20 questions :)

Any issues with the rebuild? Do you mind sharing who did the machine work? What did you choose to do yourself vs get the shop to do?

I'm very curious as this is what I hope to get started on this summer when my garage is no longer a storage unit. I live just north of Sacramento, in Loomis so any NorCal engine shop references are appreciated.

Based on the fact you're getting this ready for an exped. up to Alaska, what did you choose to replace vs rebuild and risk failing?

Once again...looks great

Very nice work!

Now for 20 questions :)

Any issues with the rebuild? Do you mind sharing who did the machine work? What did you choose to do yourself vs get the shop to do?

I'm very curious as this is what I hope to get started on this summer when my garage is no longer a storage unit. I live just north of Sacramento, in Loomis so any NorCal engine shop references are appreciated.

Based on the fact you're getting this ready for an exped. up to Alaska, what did you choose to replace vs rebuild and risk failing?

Once again...looks great
no major issues with the rebuild. I did the full rebuild myself but i had a machine shop rebuild the head, order the pistons, match the block to the pistons, surface both block and head, and a whole list of other stuff.

but to make it easy i went to Gary at Mudraks in sonoma, told him what i was doing and asked what he suggested i do. He has a really good machinest that he uses so i just dropped off all the parts with him and within a week i had it all back ready for install. It was nice cuz he did all the work really. He knows all the parts and gaskets youre going to need to build it right so i just said order it up. The bill came to somewhere around $2,500. Including all labor, parts, gaskets, bearings, head mod, crank grind and polish, and even a new RV camshaft to rebuild my engine.

And after doing the rebuild everything runs perfect. i kept everything stock on the motor, and used OEM parts for almost everything. I didnt replace all the coolant hoses initially but wished i did as small leaks started to pop up all over the place. Brand new waterpump, oil pump, and fuel pump was also included in that price above. i rebuilt the carb myself and seems to be decent but i wouldnt mind having Gary do that too just as insurance. Also picked up a used smog pump since mine had been destroyed from a leaky power steering pump. Gary also had a few tricks to help make sure my exhaust leak wouldnt return anytime soon.

hope this helps...but really the best advice i can give is to call Gary. MCC - Mudrak Custom Cruiser

Very nice rims..what make and Back spacing are they?

That will be one solid rig when you are done. Bringing back that 60s youth you are...

Nice and clean under belly in that FJ60... Thanks for sharing !!

wow...

just wow.

excellent writeup and photos. wish more newbies gave (like you) rather than asking before "Search".

nice rig. hope you have many happies w/it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom