My opinion on 2011 vs 2013 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I wanted to give my thoughts on the 2011 and 2013 Land Cruiser since I’ve owned both and at some point in time these years will be as popular as the 100 series is. I’ve owned an 80 series, 100 series (still my DD) and a 2011 and 2013 200 series. Last April my wife’s 2011 was totaled. If you want to see how it did in the crash just look up my posts and you will see it. After the insurance was settled I decided to look for a new Land Cruiser since there weren’t many used 2011’s in the market. This is the 2nd time that I’ve bought my cruiser in May-June of the following model year and have gotten a great deal both times. So now for the good and bad.

2011 – I moved up from a 100 series when I got this and wow the 200 series is nice compared to a 100 series. The engine power compared to a 100 series is awesome. Overall an awesome cruiser. Granted I do miss the style of the 80 series but engine and interior are hands down better. Now for the things I didn’t like. The speedometer – I don’t know why they did this but on the 2011 (not sure about previous years) they only had the 2 mile split so if you were going between 70-80 mph they didn’t have a different mark at the 5 mile split so being that I tend to push going about 8 miles over the speed limit I really had to focus on this to make sure I set the cruise accordingly. The other thing that I found interesting was the backup camera did not have lines to show you where you were going. It just shows a camera. I still look out the back of the truck myself but thought this was an area that should have been addressed.

2013 – A couple great improvements. The speedometer was fixed and now shows the 5 mile split but the 2013 also shows your actual speed in digital so that you know your exact speed all the time. The digital screen next to the speedometer also shows your GPS turns if you are using navigation which was a nice feature not having to look at the center screen while diving. The backup cameras also show your trajectory so you know where you are going when you are turning your wheel backing up. There are also many different camera views forward/side/etc. I never use this but it is there. The side mirrors also lower when you put it into reverse so if you are backing into a space it does help. Don’t think the 2011 did that but I could be wrong. My favorite new option is the cooled/heated seats. The cooled on a hot summer day is really nice. The headlights are different and all LED I believe in the 2013. The cruise control has a radar feature which annoys the hell out of me. I know many people like it but I think I just like to be in control of my own vehicle and not have some computer system doing it. The system is controlled by the distance between you and the vehicle in front of you so if someone cuts between you it adjusts the speed and sometimes if someone going slower cuts in front slows down faster than I would in the situation. My fear with the system is that someone is going to rear end me b/c of the way the system acts. Also the distances can be adjusted by pushing a button which adjusts the distance allowed before your vehicle will slow down but it only has 3 settings far/medium/close. I’m sure this is the recommended braking distance but it is still a lot further than I would start breaking. I’m used to being able to just change lanes without having to take cruise control off but with the radar I feel I need to change lanes sooner before the radar catches the vehicle in front of me and possibly adjusts my speed if the vehicle in front is slower. I know it’s a safety feature but for the way that I drive I still haven’t gotten used to how it performs.

Overall though both cruisers are great and you won’t be disappointed in either. If I were to do it again I would just buy a 2013 as the cooled seats and digital display are great improvements and offset the cruise control which takes some time to get used to. Hope this review helps. If I missed something please feel free to add it.

Thanks for sharing your findings.

Keep in mind that you don't have to use radar cruise control. At least on my 2015, you can use either radar or "normal" cruise control.

The radar feature is not useful (for me anyway), but happy it can be disabled.

Had to look at the manual for the 2013 as it is my wife's and I only drive it on weekends. Looks like it can be disabled. Will have to try it next time I drive it. Thanks for that info.

Appreciate your thoughts on this OP.. found out last week that my 2008 is a total loss from some serious water I got into the cab while crossing a creek. Over $20K in repairs suggested so Safeco is totaling. I bought from a friend who added ~15K in parts [ARB front & rear, ARB roof rack, Asfir rock sliders and complete under-body protection, 3" OME lift, winch, power tank, performance chip, etc, etc]. Now, just trying to pull off as many parts as I can that insurance gives no value to - fun week - not so much. Was not sure the differences between 2011 and 2013 which are the years I am trying to find as pre owned, so thanks again.
IMG_4270.JPG

What exactly did the performance chip do for that rig in your opinion?
Sorry to hear about the "soaking"

Great review, thanks for sharing.

Fyi. The 11s mirrors adjusted down in reverse as well. That feature drives me crazy most of the time, so I have mine turned off. The mirror switch in the left or right position has the auto rev. tilt feature on, if in the center neutral position that turns the auto tilt down mirrior feature off.

How do the headlights compare. I know the 13+ are projector lights, not sure rather HID or hollogen projectors? True HIDs are normally the best lights you can get. My pickup has hollogen projectors, so far not too impressed with projector hollogens, I think regular hollogens work better then projector hollogens.

How deep was the water you crossed? I'm curious as to the safe (relative term, I know) maximum fording depth of the 200. Not that I plan to push it, but I'd like to know.

Performance chip is awesome (don't know brand).. also had Magna Flow muffler and larger exhaust pipes - it hauls serious a$$. Was told that it is over 400HP with exhaust and chip. A friend didn't believe me and so we raced.. he has an Audi A6 and the 200 series beat him. RE: Water depth was close to 3' in some areas - problem was that I got high centered and had to winch out.. left truck running and crawled in and out windows, but water seeped in doors and got all door speakers and carpet wet throughout. Water was halfway up rear tailgate and truck has a 2" OME lift on it, front was about headlight depth. I had crossed this area before, but this time I pushed too far and decided to go up and down stream "exploring" - dumb move.

Dang, well I hope you at least had someone filming it when it happened. Kudos to you for pushing it to it's limit!

Appreciate your thoughts on this OP.. found out last week that my 2008 is a total loss from some serious water I got into the cab while crossing a creek. Over $20K in repairs suggested so Safeco is totaling. I bought from a friend who added ~15K in parts [ARB front & rear, ARB roof rack, Asfir rock sliders and complete under-body protection, 3" OME lift, winch, power tank, performance chip, etc, etc]. Now, just trying to pull off as many parts as I can that insurance gives no value to - fun week - not so much. Was not sure the differences between 2011 and 2013 which are the years I am trying to find as pre owned, so thanks again. View attachment 1045710

Zombie...

Do you know the brand (or who sells) the performance chip you had on your 2011?

Disregard my previous message, I just read your follow-up reply. I am curious if you will be able to move it to your new LC (or if you were planning to)?
Long story, but shop is playing gate keeper even though the vehicle has not been signed over to insurance.. Trying to get in there today, been trying since Friday basically. Close to just showing up with my tools, but I have already talked with the dealership GM and they need written approval from insurance co for me to pull anything - *SOfrustrating*.. @MScruiser this also may answer your PM request..

:crybaby:

Long story, but shop is playing gate keeper even though the vehicle has not been signed over to insurance.. Trying to get in there today, been trying since Friday basically. Close to just showing up with my tools, but I have already talked with the dealership GM and they need written approval from insurance co for me to pull anything - *SOfrustrating*.. @MScruiser this also may answer your PM request..

Yeah, once it's been declared a total loss the insurance company becomes a lien holder (or something to that effect) and once you get the pay off they become the owner. Hopefully they don't drag their feet too long. And I hope you do get a chance to get the physical parts off of it. I know some companies would make it buy the vehicle back to pull physical parts from it (outside of loose items inside the car).

They do often allow like-for-like swaps once it's at the yard. They'll give you a contact and you make an appointment for them to pull it out to a clear space. Let me know if you need help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom