My new FJ Mount (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi All:

Sorry to "rain on your parade" but this is at best a mall cruiser poser accessory!

Well, let me qualify this statement: in the Pacific Northwest of North America (western British Columbia, Washington State, and Oregon) mounting a HiLift jack in that spot will result in:

1) excellent exposure to the elements (i.e. rain, snow, etc.) resulting in corrosion on the jack, especially the mechanism.

2) damage from rubbing on trees, boulders, etc. on the tight trails around here!

Myself, I carry a HiLift behind the front seats, wrapped in a pair of old jogging pants. It is protected from both damage and rust, and the jogging pants help cut down on rattles and clunks! :D

Regards,

Alan

Josie'sLandCruiser - The mount isn't for you, we get that, but really its a choice thing. I see some rigs around here that have their jack mounted on their hood. If you don't want it exposed to the elements I am sure someone could figure out a way to cover it in place. If your wheeling hard enough to damage your jack being there on the outside then wouldn't you just be damaging your rig instead? Mine being placed there has actually helped keep some branches from rubbing hard on my windsheild frame, or when my windshield is down from rubbing on me. Oh yeah and not everybody that lives in Washington, Oregon or BC lives in swamp...I lived on the coast for 13 years, hated the constant wet, but here on the east side of WA state we enjoy a lot of sunny (be it cold or warm) days. :)
Still a cool mount, but I did it cheaper with some bolts https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/464706-hi-lift-jack-mount-2.html

Hi All:

No worries My71FJ40, there are all levels of 'wheelers present here on MUD.

For tight in the trees 'wheeling a HiLift mounted on the running board will take some hits. On my rig I ditched the stock running boards like ten years ago for a heavy-duty replacements.

Regarding exposure to the elements, the operating mechanism of a HiLift jack is quite susceptible to dirt and corrosion; a clean and well-lubricated HiLift will operate smoothly and easily.

Regards,

Alan

I don’t know about everyone else but I find that I really don’t have much space inside my truck so mounting the jack in a place that doesn’t get in the way and is easy to get to seems smart to me. I also found that I try to avoid hitting stuff with my truck but it happens, and if I did hit something hard enough I don’t think the jack being there or not would really matter. I do plan on getting one of the neoprene jack covers and hopefully that’ll help keep the jack somewhat cleaner. And if no one noticed the jack is brand new.

I looked at the covers and decided they'd hold more crap inside and make it more likely to rust unnoticed. And they kind of looked, well, kinda trailer queenish to me. Now go out and get that jack dirty dammit!

FJmount Lock

Pictures of the lock and it seems to work just fine. I do think the way the other knob was labeled looked better and it look like it would last longer than a sticker.
IMG_20110410_154358.jpg
IMG_20110410_154431.jpg
IMG_20110410_154602.jpg

Picture looking out towards the jack from the driver seat. Sorry about the glare but this was the best I got.
IMG_20110410_154241.jpg

Kanudude, I don't give a damn what anyone says, If that's where you want it , COOL. :flipoff2: I think you did a nice job and it looks great. If A tree branch would damage that jack, I don't think you want to jack up your rig with it. Rock On My Brother :cheers::smokin:

Thanks man.

So I thought I would give an update! I've done a tone of wheeling in Colorado and never had a problem with the fj mount! Love how easy it is to get to, even with gloves on in the snow! The knob sticker has fallen off but who really cares about that. I think it's a super product that's going to last forever!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom