My mobile base camp build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Alright, some progress has been made!

Got the steel for the frame this past week and finally got to work on it this afternoon.

Got the perimeter roughed out and tacked together and then started on the tongue.

The main frame is 2x4 1/8" wall rectangular tube. The main drawbar is 3x3 1/4" wall with 2x3 1/8" wall diagonals.

I'm off of work this week, so I hope to have the frame rolling by the end of the day tomorrow and the body on by Wednesday.
Camping Trailer Build 021 (Medium).jpg
Camping Trailer Build 022 (Medium).jpg
Camping Trailer Build 023.jpg

Alright, now I need some opinions. I'm trying to figure out how to detail the tongue tubes. The easy way out is to weld them as shown, whereas the clean way would be to notch them so they sit flush.

I know what I want to do from a fab perspective and I know what I think will look the best, and I'm having a hard time making up my mind ;p
Camping Trailer Build 024 (Medium).jpg

When I got the axle mounted up it seemed like the axle was shifted off to one side about a half inch. I measured and measured and finally figured out that the perches aren't centered on the axle :frown::rolleyes: I ordered this from ABC trailer parts and the transaction was flawless. I'll have to give him a call and ask WTF went wrong?

It's not a huge problem, at least not insurmountable, but it's just a PITA to fix someone elses mistakes.

I also included a pic of the spring/shackle setup. I may have to space these down a bit, or redrill the holes in the brackets a hair lower to get the height I need.
Camping Trailer Build 029 (Medium).jpg
Camping Trailer Build 030 (Medium).jpg
Camping Trailer Build 031 (Medium).jpg

One more thing. If you're wondering why the tails of the frame rails are so long, don't worry, I left them extra long. The body actually stops at the rear crossmember. I wasn't exactly sure what I wanted to do for a rear bumper/step/platform/etc so I wanted to make sure I left plenty of material to work with back there.

I'm off to Harbor Freight to pick up some parts. More progress tonight!

This afternoon's harbor freight score was a set of ramps that will serve several purposes.

In the stowed position they make a nice rear platform for carrying large bulky items or whatever suits me at the time.

For camping I will do up some brackets to allow one of them to sit lower and function as a step.

Lastly they will also function as ATV ramps and as a dirt bike carrier/ramp. Pics below.
Camping Trailer Build 034 (Medium).jpg
Camping Trailer Build 035 (Medium).jpg
Camping Trailer Build 037 (Medium).jpg

^^ Wow! I really like that. Might even be a solution for my dober-loading problem. What's the height at the top of the ramp when mounted on tubing?

^^ Wow! I really like that. Might even be a solution for my dober-loading problem. What's the height at the top of the ramp when mounted on tubing?

Thanks. I haven't gotten the final height nailed down yet, but I will be sure to post up all the relevant dimensions once the trailer is sitting on its own weight.

Looking good, I thought for sure your axle was too far forward. I am looking forward to your progress. I looked into the idea of a work box trailer for a long time, I am excited to see what you come up with in the end!

Drew

My tent came!!!

It got here about an hour ago and I quickly drug it inside and unwrapped it in the living room :D

I ordered the 72x94 camping lab tent and I think it's going to be perfect!

There was some slight shipping damage on part of half of the floor, but nothing too concerning and definitely easily fixed(it's a slight bend in the sandwhiched aluminum which I believe I can pull out once the tent is mounted to the trailer).

Of course with all of this commotion the pooch had to come see WTF dad was up to.

She seemed a bit cautious at first.
Camping Trailer Build - Tent 003 (Medium).jpg
Camping Trailer Build - Tent 005 (Medium).jpg
Camping Trailer Build - Tent 008 (Medium).jpg

Great project and great tent. You are going to want to put a couple more inches of foam in there. Your ass will hit and on your side you will get a great hot spot.

Damn PG.... you had to bring that up ....my a$$ and side are still sore from last night... Foam is a definite for next trip. Great looking build... I really like the fact you set the tent up in the living room...and couldn't blame you one bit!!
:p:D

Alright, back at it today. Took the weekend off to go downhill mountain biking and fight off a cold.

I started off by getting the "body mounts" fabbed up and tacked on. Nothing real complicated, just some angle iron with a couple holes. I intend to hard mount the body to the frame since there's no opposing articulation putting stress on the frame. I will brace these underneath to keep them from bending down, just wanted to make sure they would fit/work before I did all that.
Camping Trailer Build 040 (Medium).jpg
Camping Trailer Build 043 (Medium).jpg
Camping Trailer Build 044 (Medium).jpg

Then I slid the frame back up under the body to make sure it fit and aside from a few necessary tweaks to the body with the grinder, all's well. It's actually a pretty snug fit which I'm happy about. :)

You can also see that there's quite a bit of room between the frame and the floor above. This is the space where I intend to hide the water and fuel tanks.
Camping Trailer Build 045 (Medium).jpg
Camping Trailer Build 047 (Medium).jpg
Camping Trailer Build 049 (Medium).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom