My first FJ40 - but what is inside it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so I have my first FJ40 - made in July 1969 with vin FJ4070837. It has been re powered with a short block V8 and what I think is a TH350 transmission. I can't find the numbers on the block - I am guessing they are hidden behind the alternator.....

Anybody able to identify this beast? Need to figure out what I am going to do - frame seems to be solid...
On top of the engine were 8268762 with GM 28 under that. Firing order is 18436572 but probably doesn't matter.
IMG_0648.JPG
IMG_0649.JPG
IMG_0620.JPG

Transmission has 13 pan bolts square with one chopped corner D6 stamped around and found 9246 on drivers side.

Can anyone provide any insight? I am excited to dig in and get her cleaned up!

Brandon

Last edited:
I sure hate it when they paint an engine right over the greasy bolts???

Bubba its a "Small Block Chevy motor". A short block would be that motor without the intake and heads. Knowing it is a small block chevy should tell you just about everything you need to know about it.

The number you posted from the intake is the part number of the intake. It is a stock intake thus the GM stamping. That number won't tell you anything about the block since they all interchange until the heads changed in the 90's. The serial number is stamped just forward of the passenger side head. Right behind the alt. There is a casting number on the drivers side of the block behind the head where the block and the bell housing bolt together. Those are the only two readily available id numbers.

Looks like a fun rig. What are your plans for it? Aside from checking out steering and brakes, for the engine just get it cleaned up/tuned up and see how it runs. You mentioned needing to figure out what you're going to do.. I'd be curious what it was too but will your plans actually change if it's a 307 vs a 327..?

IMG_6785.GIF

IMG_0651.JPG
Thanks for the feedback. I found the casting numbers hiding behind the alternator. If I decoded properly it is a 1983 305.

I will post some additional pics. Trying to decide if I should break it down and restore from frame up or just get it looking a bit better and look for a better starting specimen. Starter is shot so going to try and get her running (burnt up after a couple fun loops around neighborhood. )

I am new to the forum but this has been a bucket list project for a while and seemed like a reasonable deal....

Get it up and running, then drive it for 6 months or so. By then, you'll know what you want to do.

Never rush into projects like this. Go through the basics first. Get the motor running, make sure the tranny is good, make sure the brakes are good, make sure the steering is tight.

Good luck with your project!

On a side note. Take those chrome rings off your front wheels right away. If you don't they will be bonded to them before you know it.

ah, UCK, an '83 305! (See how that works? Ha) now that you've looked at that it can never just be a Chevy V-8 anymore, it's gotta be an '83 305. That carb is not original to the engine either. No matter, get it going and enjoy it!

IMG_0659.JPG
It's alive! After a few trips to the auto parts store and new alternator and starter took a victory lap! All core systems seem to work. Brakes, transmission shifted so a good day! Now to get the signals and seat belts installed / working. Brake lights work but no signals. Thanks for all the tips / suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom