My Expo Commander (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.getlost4x4.com
OWNER: Ross H
YEAR: 2006
MAKE: Jeep Commander
MODEL: Limited

ENGINE: 4.7lt. V8
TRANSMISSION: 5-Speed automatic
DRIVETRAIN: QT2

SUSPENSION:
Removed all sway bars
FRONT: OME HD Springs, 1/2 Suspension Spacer ~3" lift in front, Custom UCAs with 1" uniball
REAR: Bilstien 255/75 valved 5150 Shocks. 12" travel, Custom Rear Springs

TIRES: 255/75/17 BFG Mud KM
WHEELS: Jeep Rubicon 5 Spoke 17"
BRAKES: Stock for now

ELECTRICAL:
Garmin GPS 60CSX
Cobra 29 SX WXT CB radio
Firestik CB antenna mounts and coax

RECOVERY:
48" Hi-Lift mounted to spare tire carrier
20k lb tow line
T-MAX EW-90000W winch
T-Max Winch Recovery Kit

OTHER:
Custom Rear Storage Compartments
Rear Tire carrier with Jerry Can mounts
Custom Front Bumper and Skid Plate
Hella 6.5" Fog Lights
Industrial Fire Extinguisher
Optima Yellow Top Battery
On Board Air
Custom Tube Slider Rocker Protection

FUTURE MODS:
Snorkel
Front Solid Axle Conversion (3 Link set-up, JK D44 front Axle)
3 Link Rear conversion
ARB Rear Locker
4.10 Rear Axle Gears
Engine Power Programmer
Defender Roof Rack
33x10.5x17 Pizza Cutter tires
Flowmaster 50 Series SUV muffler
LED Tail Lamps
HID Headlamps

I guess since i'm the only one on here right now i'll start some discussions and get my post count up!

We bought our commander in 2007 used with 21K miles. We have almost had it 2 years now. It will be paid off in 3 more years! Whoo Hooo!

Here it is after we got it!

DSC03165.jpg

DSC03164.jpg

DSC03217.jpg

DSC03219.jpg

I have been trying out several different suspension set-ups trying to get the commander to handle the way i want to.

Stage 1: Spacer lift + bilstien 5150 12" shocks + Stock Wheels 1.5" wheel spacers.

it worked alright, but the stock springs did not appreciate the extra weight of a bumper and camping equipment.

01040.jpg

01041.jpg

0001031.jpg

Stage2:

OME springs up front + Remove rear Sway Bar

Better suspension flex, the front end rides great off-road. The rear end was still sagging.

0001005-1.jpg

0001002-3.jpg

We also tried to leave the front spacers in. but the angle on the CV joints was not good.

0001006-1.jpg

Stage 3:

Now it was time to do something about the rear. The stock springs just were not cutting it. When we were loaded down with camping and 4 wheeling equipment the rear springs just could not handle it. Not only would the rear springs fall out if the suspension flexed enough, but the bump stops were also too short. So we did a little fabrication to correct the problem.

These were the stock springs we were using with the suspension spacer lift.

0001033.jpg

This is the stock rear bump stop. Its pretty short and let the springs fall out all the time.

0001032.jpg

We modified it by lengthening it with some round tubing.

0001036.jpg

0001038.jpg

I had been out to the junkyard and picked up a set of Ford F150 lift coils. I think they are made by Fabtech, but I am not sure. They ride pretty good. I cut them down to size and installed them with the new bump-stop.

0001039.jpg

0001041.jpg

Stage 4:

HD Front Upper Contol Arms w/ 1" Uniballs, 1/2" lift spacer, Sway Bar Removed

I will not be doing anything else to the front stock IFS. When it breaks its going in the garbage to be replaced with a JK D44 with locker. I will keep the rear 8.25" full floater rear axle and upgrade the gears to 4.10 and an ARB air locker.

Here is the old stuff. When i pulled them out the ball joint almost fell out. Perfect timing as far as replacement goes.

0000001023.jpg

some pictures showing the difference between the old ones and the new ones.

0000001033.jpg

0000001034.jpg

New HD UCA's Installed

0000001018-1.jpg

These arms work pretty good. they are much stronger then stock, but they do make a lot of noise. the front end is pretty much dead anyway. i'd like to add some beef and better suspension travel.

The next project included storage compartmets. The commander doesn't really have any good places to keep your stuff from flying around. There was a worthless 3rd row of seats in the back. The only good they did while they were still in the vehicle was to keep the sleeping area flat. We removed the seats (about 150 lbs worth) and put them in storage should we decide we ever will need to use them again.

here it is with the seats folded down

0000001008.jpg

seats up

0000001014-1.jpg

a look inside, it holds a ton of stuff.

0000001015-1.jpg

Next up was figuring out how to carry a full sized spare tire. I added weight of a bumper was not really desired. and trying to get something that would hide all the emissions junk behind the stock bumper was not going to be easy. so i took some measurements and started working with those in AutoCAD. It came out pretty nice, i can carry 10 gallons of fuel on the back, a full sized spare, highlift jack, and shovel.

p1031.jpg

p1058.jpg

p1059.jpg

p1060.jpg

p1056.jpg

p1054.jpg

I wanted some rocker protection, i didn't like what was on the market, and i have a tube bender and notcher. I built a simple design and welded them into the "frame rails". I used 1.75" x.120 round tubing, i sleeved the tubes coming off the frame with 1.5"x.120 so they are effectively .25" wall thickness on the tubes. The rockers weigh about 50 lbs total. I also plated the frame with .25" where the rockers attach to help strengthen the frame and keep the rocker guards from being ripped off.

p1034.jpg

p1039.jpg

p1040.jpg

Finally getting around to redoing and posting the results of rebuilding the storage compartments.

i got rid of the 100 lbs metal box and replaced it with this new storage compartment built out of MDF. it only weighs 15 lbs. it also provides easier access to stuff in the box because there are 3 compartments. i can now just move crap on top to one side to get stuff out of a compartment. before i had to empty the whole back of the jeep to get anything out.

crawling-018.jpg

crawling-020.jpg

crawling-021.jpg

Read more here:

http://getlost4x4.com/?p=401
Commander Storage Solutions! Part??? – Get Lost 4x4

makes a great sleeping platform.

a016.jpg

another modification in Feb. 2009

moved the control box off the top of the winch to behind the grill. hidden and easy to access all in one.

easier access to the winch controller now. i don't have to open my hood every time i need to use it.

Picture032.jpg

Picture033.jpg

Picture034.jpg

i just painted the wheels black. in typical jeep fashion the clear coat was coming off the new wheels.

8833_143422810027_599460027_2763922_400624_n.jpg

just a little body damage on the lower doors from a friendly rock.

i also just replaced a front CV- joint and the rear brakes. Not to bad for 72K miles.

Plans for the spring:

*new tires
*new exhaust (rocks like the extremely oversized stock muffler)
*air bags in the rear springs for extra weight support.

and finally my old truck. it was rolled 14 times by the next owner.

i couldn't fit in it with my wife and 2 kids so i had to sell it. i still miss it.

Specs

5mge-supra straight six
custom lift ~6"
33" TrXus MTs
4.10 gears
ceramic clutch
custom exhaust
custom flatbed.

dsc02041.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom