My Baja Trailer build.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jman, you can make the green one cheaper... I would just make the little /\/\/\/\/\ with some chopped up sections of 1/4" round rod. Couldn't be easier.

Have fun man.

Drew

you know a couple of those 60s style decorative steel porch posts might do the trick. i wonder if you can still buy those.

J-Man, I did scroll through the entire thread, but maybe missed it......Where did you get the fenders?
THX

Ed

J-Man, I did scroll through the entire thread, but maybe missed it......Where did you get the fenders?
THX

Ed
you know i forgot to mention that - i got them from MCT Trailers in Ventura, Ca for $50 each. perfect fit over the 265-75-16's BFG At's. I had ZERO rocks kick up to the rear of the tow vehicle as well - so i guess they worked well - however those traveling behind me - stayed well behind as they did get some kick ups from rocks. Might have to get some rubber yosemite sam flaps to screw on the bottom rear of the steel fenders for that prob - j/k - they'd rip off quick.

well to update this thread, ive done a couple of things.

1. I fixed the rack system and made it stronger to hold up the eezi-awn.

2. I installed a set of firestone 5000# rated air bags to aid in controlling the bounce, bottoming out, and for shnitz and giggles - so far they have really helped with loads. I am going to fab some limiting straps just so when the trailer gets some air goin down baja roads, it wont tear out the bags. Im really impressed how stout they are built - we'll see how they hold up for baja in 2 weeks when i go down mid may....

PICS TO COME tomorrow.......

just got back from a baja trip and the trailer suffered a little damage. Somehow i managed to bend the 3500# axle enough so that the pass side wheel was angled inward like this \. Luckily i had my airbags installed and was able to pressureize them enough for me to complete my trip down and back.

The 3500# axle from abctrailerparts.com is a 2-3/8" round tubing with 3/16" thick wall. I think im going to switch it to a 6000# rated one thats 3" round tubing with a 3/16" thick wall and then weld either a 1/4" angle bracket along the entire bottom, or some 1/4" C channel along the bottom to prevent bending of the axle - any thoughts?

Baja can take even the stoutest built things and break em. Seems like this is a constant learning curve for me - if i only had the blue prints from the adventure trailers suspension - i think they've got a bullet proof design with the independant arms w/ air bags...

I have been to Baja several times and know exactly what you mean about the abuse. Still cant believe you bent your 3500# axle. I was planning on taking my m-416 out there in October, I guess we will see how it does. Looking forward to seeing the mods your going to do. How far down baja do you go?

I have been to Baja several times and know exactly what you mean about the abuse. Still cant believe you bent your 3500# axle. I was planning on taking my m-416 out there in October, I guess we will see how it does. Looking forward to seeing the mods your going to do. How far down baja do you go?
yea, i was pretty amazed i was able to bend it to. Actually, i know where it happened. I was on a stretch of washboard road where i had to make a detour around a washout, then gas it to make it through and up a silty wash - and in doing so there was a spot where i got the front of the vehicle off the ground and then watched in my mirror as the trailer bounced up and came down on the pass side first, then on the drivers side. Still - the axle is a stout piece of pipe.

Driven to cabo more times than i can count, and most of the time on dirt as i like to see the coast more rather than mex1. This happened on the north road thats south of san ignacio to san juanico.

Crikey

I can't believe it's been 4 years since you started that build. Time flies. Now get down here and let's trailing-arm that straight axle!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom